Typ901 invited to GT3 Challenge at Phillip Island May 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typ901 invited to GT3 Challenge at Phillip Island May 2009

Hi guys, we have been OFFICIALLY invited to the following regularity event. The only requirements for drivers is a CAMS licence, and the only requirement for cars is harness, fire ext, helmet, and wrist to ankle clothing. Should work out around $130 ish for about an hour track time.

WE NEED EXPRESSION OF INTEREST so that we can secure some of the 50 spots that will be offered to all PCV, 356 and 901 members. Please respond HERE asap.

Read below for the details, and communicate via me. It would be great to have 10-20 of the old girls out there, so get a harness, a FE and helmet and lets get out there!!!

Stewart and I, hereby lodge our interest!!!

Dear PCV / 356 / 901 members

Challenge Cup Promoters Pty Ltd, Category Managers for the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Australia series propose that PCV, 356 & 901 Registers combine to conduct a Regularity Trial for their members at Round 2 of the GT3 Cup Challenge series to be held at the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit as a part of the Shannons Nationals Motor Racing Series on Saturday & Sunday, 16 & 17 May.

Due to the recent cancellation of Carrera Cup Australia there will be some track time available at this round of the Shannons Nationals and Porsche Cars Australia and ourselves thought that it would be a wise move to secure the 'slot' and use it for Porsche customers / enthusiasts.

What is a Regularity Trial?

Regularity Trials are conducted to give people an opportunity to drive on a race track without the potential 'panel rubbing' that may occur in racing. It is also an ideal way for novices to be able to 'trial' sprints etc, without the competitiveness.

Any vehicle can compete in a Regularity Trial - it does NOT have to have a CAMS logbook and can be their 'Sunday drive' vehicle.
    Competitors need only hold a CAMS Level 2S licence as a minimum
    Competitors need only wear a helmet and ankle to wrist clothing with enclosed shoes

There are to be NO lap timers / stop watches etc used in the cars

Session 1 - An Observation / Practice session
    This session is used by participants to familiarize themselves with the track
    At the conclusion of the session participants are shown their lap times and are asked to 'nominate' a time for the Regularity Trial

Session 2/3
    - Regularity Trial
    Participants circulate around the track and at the conclusion of the session scoring is finalized.

For every ½ sec participants are quicker than their nominated time they are penalized 2 points and for every ½ sec they are slower than their nominated time they are penalized 1 point.

The same is applied to Session 3 if there is one (track time available and scheduling dependant).

At the conclusion of the event awards are presented based on the lowest scoring participants.

Logistics

The track density at PI I believe for Regularity Trials is 60 cars.

On preliminary discussions with PIARC they have suggested that all Regularity Trial vehicles could be located on the infield at PI in front of the green sheds (turn right when exiting the tunnel on the infield side) This area is now all bitumen and can comfortably fit 60 cars on display.

Cars can then use the return road to Turn 4 (sealed) to enter/exit the track without the need to traverse through the paddock area.

PCA are looking to have a 'Porsche Lounge' at the event (a relaxed version of Corporate Hospitality), allowing all Porsche Club members / owners the opportunity to mingle.

There will also be a Charity Auction fundraising dinner at the Eco Resort to raise funds for Ronald McDonald House. All PCV/356/901 members are more than welcome to attend as this is an opportunity for all Porsche fanatics to come together.

Costs

Sunday track time available = 35 mins = $6708 + GST

Saturday track time available = 20mins FOC

At a cost of $6708 for 55-60mins of track time at a National Race Meeting, and an anticipated 50+ participants (road cars can be used) a suggested 'entry fee' of $135 would cover costs.

This would include 2 x event entry tickets for competitors with a reduced ticket price for additional tickets purchased.

Accommodation

GT3 Cup Challenge have secured a number of 2 & 3 bedroom villas at the Eco Resort, Cowes. A significantly discounted rate has been negotiated for 3 night stays (3 bedroom villa sleeps up to 6 = $129/night), however, I am sure that a reasonable rate can be agreed upon for a 1 or 2 night stay.

OVERVIEW

Saturday
    1 x 20min familiarization/observation session - times tbc
    Parking on 'infield' of track
    Use Porsche Cars Australia 'teams lounge' facility
    Charity Auction dinner with Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge competitors / sponsors / crew etc at Eco Resort
    Discounted accommodation rates for all Porsche members at Eco Resort

Sunday 1 x 35 min 'Regularity Trial' slot
    Use Porsche Cars Australia 'teams lounge' facility

Please feel free to call me and discuss this opportunity to be a part of the Shannons Nationals Series along with other Porsche enthusiasts.

Best regards,

Jodi Zylstra
    Category Administrator | Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Australia

Challenge Cup Promoters Pty Ltd | PO Box 5231 | Robina Town Centre Q 4230
    M: 0438 911 977 | P: 07 555 91605 | F: 07 555 91608

Porsche Michelin Sprint Challenge Australia is professionally administered, however, the primary objective is to provide a cost effective place to 'race your mates' with simple rules and regulations.

[IMG]file:///j:/MailBox/Attach/AWEBSTER/2009/03/image002(20).jpg[/IMG]

Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

I am interested, good way to go down there at watch the GT3 Challenge racing and have something to do at the same time.
    GroupS 76 3.0 Carrera http://typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4220

Comment

Maybe this invitation should be emailed to TYP901 members as some don't use this forum.
      Peter Williams #049
      Secretary TYP901
      1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Rich can you send this out to members please. I will email it to you now.

Thanks
        Alex Webster

Comment

don't forget there is also a drive to lorne planned for the 16th...
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
            don't forget there is also a drive to lorne planned for the 16th...
            Alex,

I'm in!!

Please forward let me know if you need any help with anything?

Thanks

Aaron

Comment

Rich, why don't we change that so that it goes to the island instead?

That way we can get some weight of numbers down there, and the kicker can be if you signed up you can go around the track!!

The idea was to try and get the familarisation to be late on the Saturday, and the run to be early on the Sunday so that we can get down there late, and leave early if we want to do a run down or back.
              Alex Webster

Comment

Originally posted by alexwebster View Post
                The idea was to try and get the familarisation to be late on the Saturday, and the run to be early on the Sunday so that we can get down there late, and leave early if we want to do a run down or back.
                Alex,

That is great if we can get it. As we are all time poor.
                GroupS 76 3.0 Carrera http://typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4220

Comment

Sometimes it's hard living up here in God's country...
                  John Forcier
                  1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                  1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                  Restoration Saga
                  1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Couple of thoughts;

1. I support Alex's idea to re-direct the Lorne run to PI

2. I won't be running KYJ around the track (orders by SWMBO). However, is it possible for members who aren't driving to go as passenger with a competant driver for a few laps? (obviously, so long as they are wearing all required safety clothing etc)

3. If we make it a club run (in lieu of Lorne), the route down could be via Alex's swimming pool (or as it was previously known, Erwin's Diving Board) - maybe morning tea at Caldermeade Farm on the way. We could make it an overnighter.

4. If points 1 and 3 are accepted, then I'm happy to help with organising the run to PI.
                    Peter Williams #049
                    Secretary TYP901
                    1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Hey Peter, we won't be allowed to have laps with passengers, CAMS would have a fit!!!

You can certainly run KYJ on the track, you just need to have the b@lls to do so, or DON'T tell Julie that you are!!! Dress up as the STIG and tell her that he was driving it on your behalf!!

It would also be a good opportunity for some of the people that want to get involved in the 6 hour to get some seat and track time at this great circuit. It will be very laid back and I am sure the strict instructions will be that everyone should be VERY WELL behaved!

There has not been car to car contact at any regularity event that I have seen in the last 5 years - so rest assured, you will not be bullied off the road.
                      Alex Webster

Comment

Alex , I'll be in !

John Shingleton

Comment

Do you think Julie will think he's up to some sort of kinky car sex if he puts a harness in the car or do you think she might catch on to what he is really up to? And a bar in the back...well think about it.

I couldn't keep up with him last year at Thredbo so watch out if he hits the track
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President
                          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Peter has been certainly in 'the zone' on recent runs with Julie in the car. Maybe she is the one leaning over and pressing the loud pedal harder!
                            Alex Webster

Comment

I'm sorely tempted to join John Alex....

Could anyone board an early 911 from Sydney for a few days?

A harness is mandatory I assume?

Do you have any more spyder bars... as my SWB has different mounts I think... and I don't want to go hacking the interior.
                              Justin Reed
                              aka Reedminor
                              1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                              1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                              1961 356B #114700
                              Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Working...
                              X