Classic Adelaide Tour ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic Adelaide Tour ???

I was wondering if any members are interested to tour across to Adelaide to attend Classic Adelaide, NOV 15-19 th. ??

Porsche is the featured marque this year so it would be great to have a TP901 presence there.

I have some friends from Europe planning to attend and suggested we could drive across from Melb in our cars for the event. And remember that the 356 Parade is on in Melbourne the following weekend (Nov 25/26th) and we hope to have our usual display there as well.

This could be of interest to some NSW members who could drive to Adelaide then do the circle back to Sydney via Melbourne and be part of the 356 event as well.

We need to look at booking accommodation soon if a group plans to attend so lets see a show of hands for anyone interested .

Their website is: www.classicadelaide.com.au for thoise keen to learn more about the event.
    Last edited by e72phil; 10-07-06, 03:30 PM.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Phil,

Great idea, it would be great to see some 901ers there for the event.

Hopefully there might be some club recruiting opportunities to be had as well!

Other than Ryan and I, is anyone else entered in any categories?
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Top idea - in fact, my birthday is then. I should be in on this.

Comment

Phil,

By the way it isn't the Porsche year, from what I'm very reliably been told given it is the 10th year, they are celebrating the 'car' and not one particular marque to be singled out - (quite smart considering they want the attention on the event). Although I suspect it will be a highlight for the P cars.

What my wife and I are considering at this stage

Fly down Friday 17th mid morning, attend the street party that night with the 35000 others and the cars (Gouger Street sp? - like the restaurant street, although I have never been to Adelaide - Ryan may know)

Spend Saturday watching the start and maybe one viewing spot, then head off to the Barossa for a few wineries and Saturday night in a nice B & B near the vines.

Sunday, take a car to Maclaren Vale for Lunch where all the competitors are parking for lunch, then off to the airport back to Sydney in the afternoon of the Sunday,

More a Dinning Spectating Wine Spectating Wine type of tour...

Shane

Maybe there may be more Husband and Wive combos that may want to do that type of tour.

Comment

Great idea Phil.
          My dad and I are entered again (competition)... actually I booked our flights this morning.
          Shane, it sounds like you've got it all planned out - Gouger Street on the Friday night is great - all the cars line the street and the restaurants are packed!! The lunch on sunday is good spot to see all the cars, though traditionally it's been cut short to keep everyone on the move.
          The event runs from the Hilton, all the cars start out the front every morning - great place to stay, though I'd recommend getting in early.
          Cheers,
          Nick

Comment

Shane, your plan sounds good. If you book flts now, it could be very cost effective. I think booking hotels soon is wise as they already have a lot of bookings from competitors.

Unfortunately this is one of those events where forward planning is essential. I think everyone could handle their own travel and accomdn arrangements as some will want to stay longer than others.

Sounds like there will be a few members competing as well and P cars will be everywhere.

Cameron, would you try to make it down there ?
            sigpicPhil Lack
            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Phil

See my post above, I'm entered in the Thoroughbred Tour.
              Cam Arnott
              Looking for engine #6208151
              1970 911E (Sold)
              '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
              2 x Split Screen Kombis
              TYP 901 Register # 78
              Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

we are entered in Competition in my 911S, however we may be lucky enough to have one of the factory cars from Porsche - what a thrill that would be! See how it goes, but either way we are definately going.

For those that are spectating, I would suggest that you do at least one viewing of the cars each day on the best stage with the best viewing... always nice to see the cars in action.

Goucher street is awesome - great food, and lots of restaurants. If there is a 901 tour group heading over then I am sure a 901 night with the 901'ers such as Ryan, Nick T, Cam etc would be a nice get together. The seafood place on the corner where Ryan, Simon, Nick and I had dinner two years ago was good as there is a room out the back we can get plenty of people into!

As Nick said, the cars all leave outside the Hilton everyday. there is plenty of accomodation, it all depends what you want...

should be a great year as there will be plenty of Porsche's, hopefully with another victory for the great marque too!!!
                Alex Webster
                A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Looks like we have an informal plan here. Sounds like there are enough TYP901'ers going over anyway. if we can get a few more to come, it could be a great weekend away.

Anyone else keen to join in ??
                  sigpicPhil Lack
                  R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

I'm planning on heading over, unfortunatley not via a scenic route. If anyone is driving from Sydney & needs a coffee/beer &/or a bed, I'm just about exactly halfway via the most direct route.
                    MichaelJapp
                    71E
                    Typ901 #065
                    EarlyS #798

Comment

shane - top plan. gouger st intersects the street that the hilton is on but you can stay pretty much anywhere as the cbd is pretty small.

nic - has BT arranged freight for the cars yet? (i'm assuming that he will since you guys did such a great job last year)

Comment

Found myself daydreaming about this on the flight to melbourne at 630am this morning...

I'm a definite maybe....
                        Justin Reed
                        aka Reedminor
                        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                        1961 356B #114700
                        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

"definite maybe " ??

Sounds like a snippet of conversation between Howard and Costello .
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Hi guys, Im the new bloke on the block.... (although you might recognise the car - ex Brian & Nick Taylor)... great car, driver still on L plates.

I'm entered this year with my navigator Scott. We ran last year and I must say it was one of the best events Ive ever been involved with. My suggestion would be like others, to go to Gouger Street, but if you want to see the cars having a go (and you do !!), get some advice form locals and event organisers. My wife followed us last year with the same spectator intentions, she found lunch breaks are very quick and not terribly interesting, other than to check we were still alive.

If I was doing a 'watch and wine' affair, I'd do some accom. research and stay close to one of the spectator points, and less the lunch spots. Food for thought anyway....

Better still, why not enter.

PS this is my first reply, so hope its OK

Comment

You guys will have to watch out for Andrew... he has little voices in his head telling him to 'pull the handbrake on'
                              It makes great footage for the local news!!
                              Cheers,
                              Nick
                              PS - his car rocks!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X