If money wasn't an object, what would you do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If money wasn't an object, what would you do

I recently had a conversation with a friend of a friend. He was a man of leisure and not sure what to do next. He had received far more money than he knew what to do with, after he was bought out of a merchant bank that he started. Cutting to the chase, he was looking forward to doing another startup because he was bored. He had spent 2 years enjoying his family, hard earned money and pretty much anything that he liked.

Proof to the rest of us " the grass is greener". He then proceed to ask me what I would do.

I suggested a long trip overseas,wife and children in toe, South of France, Italy, Skiing in Canada etc etc.

Some of the male things I suggested included going to some of the best sporting events mainly car related, the list went on... Goodwood, LeMans, a drive through the French alps, rally cross in the snow fields of Austria.... Monaco Grand Prix, a threesome at the grand prix, and like any of it was going to happen.... I think as the list grew so did my expectations and the effects of the beers. How about space travel ?

Anyway, now that I've bored you with the storey, I'm starting a wish list to do before.... you know, what goes with taxes. Not that its soon but it would be fun to run a poll with like minded Porschaphiles.

PS Girls if you dont like some of the above I apologise and if you would to go to the Grand Prix... Sorry I digressed.

So I'll start the list with:

1. London to Beijing Rally in, you guessed it ....

2. Do the space travel to the ISS with the just-released option of spacewalking... US$35 million...
    http://www.spaceadventures.com/media...es/2006-07/410

Comment

Definitely to compete at the Goodwood revival meeting.

I attended the event in 2003 and had to pinch myself repeatedly. I was, as was 80% of the crowd in period dress and it truly felt as though you had traveled back in time. The highlight was the TT race were a gaggle of Ferrari 250GTO's, Cobra coupes and a Bizzarini fought it out drifting through corners with smoke pouring off the rear tyres.
      There were a bunch of rare Porches there, but think I would probably drive a 904 6 in my wish/dreams.
      David Belford
      Typ 901 Register Inc.

Comment

the crew at deus ex machina ( http://www.deusexmachina.com.au/ ) seem to be having fun. i make a pretty good coffee and often wonder if you could do a car equivalent.

ps. if you haven't been there yet (parra rd, camperdown) you should. try and walk out without buying a t-shirt...

Comment

Hmmm...

1. riding melbourne to london on a motorbike (just like The Long Way Round)

2. Recreate "Rendezvous" by Claude Lelouch in a 1973 911RS... (Clyde can I borrow yours before you ship it?!?)

3. The amalfi coast in a 901... stay in a nice villa in Positano... be nice to have a car to drive up and down that damn hill instead of walking it!

4. The Nurburgring... (this is probably the most achievable of them all)

Rich
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

You guys are all thinking way too small.

Now with some serious money, I would be ordering a cusom Benetti Yacht, say around 150 metres with a helipad large enough to land the helicopter that transports the on board stable of classic Porsches to and from shore.

I'm thinking an aircraft carrier-style of lift that elevates the cars from their custom garage on deck level D up to the flight deck.

Now, parking this little ship at Monaco to watch the Grand prix, having the car come up on the lift, loaded into the chopper to fly ashore to get the milk and papers, would definitley one-up the bloke in his mega yacht parked next door to you.

And did I mention the all female team of mechanics , (all factory trained of course) that would keep the cars in pristine condition ?

here's some pics of the boat I rejected cause the helipads just too small. And only 6 plasmas screens ! and just an 8 person jacuzzi, barely enough to have a decent TYP901 party aboard.

Well thats the boat taken care of, now let me tell you about the house.. well its more of a castle really......
            Attached Files
            Last edited by e72phil; 05-08-06, 07:07 AM.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Phil

I love the way you think!!!

Can I park my boat next to yours??

Cheers

Rich
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

If money was no object I would part retire to a beach front house with a dirty big garage/workshop, get fit, travel 4 months of the year, spend more time with my family, and try to build a car like Jeff Smiths outlaw US 911.

Comment

Now Mr Caro, I'd like the way you think.... with only one clarification (well a few really), the garage whilst big would need to include the following,

1 - your 73s
                  2 - my 70T - with a crap more money thrown at it (i'd like to know where I came from)
                  3 - Classic track car, a ST R or RS - any original is fine
                  4 - Modern Track car, GT3 / 2 or something special
                  5 - Modern road cars - 911 and a family saloon with push, Maserati Quattroporte
                  6 - Another classic, always liked the DB6, or Shelby 350 Mustang - yes I know American, but hey serious street grunt...

so there is me ----

on the back of Mr Caro Equire!

Comment

sorry forgot to mention your 73 s becomes mine, dont ask I'll have more cash and you'll just accept........

Comment

A large property in the Southern Highlands... with the obligatory shed to house the cars, the model collection, the library, the memorabila...

Another cottage in either the UK, Scotland or France.... with a smaller shed and a few cars to play with during the Northern summer...

Have to echo the Goodwood comments ... i went to the Revival meeting in 2002... witnessed the Barry Sheene's last race, watched Win Percy slide a d type all over the place. Can still hear the bark of the Cobras, the symphony of the 3 or 4 250LM's, the smell of the Castrol R..... ahh what an event.
                      Justin Reed
                      aka Reedminor
                      1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                      1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                      1961 356B #114700
                      Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Justin,

why not just BUY Goodwood for yourself . One does need a nice test track after all.
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                        Early 911-S Registry # 690
                        R-Gruppe # 367
                        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

that sounds like a plan Phil.

Moor the boat at Portsmouth, fly the helicopter up and come up for a blast
                          Justin Reed
                          aka Reedminor
                          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                          1961 356B #114700
                          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

all of the above - plus i'd stage a hostile takeover of Porsche AG, dump the Cayenne and give the engineers carte blanche to build a Lotus Exige/Ariel Atom cross...

Comment

A Lotus designed and built by Germans - that'd be a car!
                              Paul Wischer
                              1969 911T
                              1979 Californian Moke
                              TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Working...
                              X