• Show
Clear All

Rennsport 2016 typ 901 convoy to Sydney

All,

Who is driving up?

When?

What route?

Where is the best spot for us to meet?

I'm planning to drive up over 2 days (leaving Melbourne on the Wednesday)and as a "new Victorian" am keen to drive up via the most efficient but most scenic route.

Justin
    Justin Reed
    aka Reedminor
    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
    1961 356B #114700
    Instagram: reedminor

I will be doing the Cannonball Run at this stage, leaving early in Friday morning and blasting straight up the Hume.
    Mark Munro
    '69 911T (sold)
    '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
    '69 MG Midget Group S car
    TYP901 Register #196

Comment

I might do the same

Comment

I'm heading down from Byron Bay, taking three days.

Comment

justin

i was planning to do it over 2 days, but the thursday and friday. and the scenic route via the snowy mountains highway and canberra. do yo need to be there for thursday night / friday morning?
          Hugh Hodges
          1973 E
          Australian TYP 901 Register #005
          Early 911S Register #776

Comment

I was considering leaving either wed afternoon, staying at Albury that night then up to Tumut then over the Snowy Mtns Hwy and possibly staying in Canberra Thursday then up to Sydney Fri morning to arrive at the track around noon. I am staying up in Sydney a few days after the event than back down the Hume or possibly via alpine way.

Lat time we met at the Shell servo at Kal Kallo
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

I could probably live with that timetable Phil
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post
                justin

i was planning to do it over 2 days, but the thursday and friday. and the scenic route via the snowy mountains highway and canberra. do yo need to be there for thursday night / friday morning?
                Plans are a bit fluid at the moment Hugh- I want to give the car a decent tub prior to the show and shine, and there is the possibility I'll be meeting up with some Sydney Porsche people / friends.

That said would like to drive up in a group if I can.
                Justin Reed
                aka Reedminor
                1961 356B #114700

Comment

How many others are considering this drive ? If its a group run, then will depend on others availability to leave early in the week ?

I have been driving the Hume to Syd and back a few times recently so am over just running up and down the hwy and prefer a more leisurely run thats not so time critical. When does the Show n Shine start ? Do we have to be at the track earlier on Friday ?
                  sigpicPhil Lack
                  R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

I need to double check - I beleive show n shine is Saturday when the event proper kicks off. Friday is for testing (for Carrera Cup, Gt3 challenge) and familarisation for newcomers.

I too am looking for a leisurely / enjoyable / scenic drive on good early 911 roads.

JR
                    Justin Reed
                    aka Reedminor
                    1961 356B #114700

Comment

I was working on the fact that the event started on Saturday morning but I wanted to be in Sydney before peak hour / night full on Friday. So midday / early afternoon Friday seems perfect. Last time we left after lunch on the Thursday and got to Tumit at the bottom of the snowy mountain highway about dusk. I don't feel comfortable in that area after dusk sets in due to wildlife. But that gave us a long day to get to Sydney and potential ice issues early in the morning on the snowy mountain highway.
                      IF we started early on Thursday we could do the snowy highway to Cooma on the one day (about 2 hours from Tumit to Cooma) then a relatively early start from Cooma on the Friday would have us in Sydney, via Canberra, by early afternoon. What do others think?
                      Hugh Hodges
                      1973 E
                      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hugh that sounds eminently sensible and a chance do do the scenic route sounds perfect,can we put some pressure on Marky to take the sensible route scenic route. I'm in on the Thursday early leaving option. Kalkalo pub sounds like a great meeting spot.

Comment

When I drove to Sydney about a week ago, it took me 5 hrs to get to the Tumut turnoff at highway speed limit. Thats why I thought about staying at Albury the night, then getting to Tumut around 10am so the drive up over the mountains was at an ideal time.

I then thought staying in Canberra gave more options than Cooma and early morning between Cooma and canberra is thru major roo territory. I felt we could easily get to canberra late afternoon Thurs leaving an easy 3 hr drive Friday morning arriving into Sydney using the M7 straight to Eastern creek to catch the afternoon events.

Only issue is then traffic into Parramatta for the Fri night hotel check in then TYP901 dinner.

Departing very early Thurs morning ex Melb can work too but you need to plan to drive the mountain roads at teh optimum time of day and even allow for possible rain along the way. Given the weather this summer, I dont think ice will be a problem yet, but who knows what late April might bring ?

A group of 4-5 cars is an ideal number but who else wants to tag along ?
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

I'm flexible, i could leave early evening wed or thursday. However i'm absolutely keen to do the scenic route.

Comment

I had planned to come over on the Wednesday and drive up with you guys but after my Phillip Island trip I'm not sure if I have 3 days driving in me.

Comment

Working...
                              X