Photos - a painless process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photos - a painless process

I just thought I would share a few tips around sharing photos. Most forums and blogs have different ways of doing it and mostly they are tricky. One way of never having to fight with it again is to use Dropbox. It's not a photo editing software, but instead it's an internet based storage facility (free and paid) that lets you keep any kind of files including photos. I use to to store all my important documents as it keeps copies on every device I use with dropbox installed. It's great for sharing files, individual photos and albums without ever having to edit sizes again.

Here's a link https://db.tt/6ae7fbrS to sign up for the free account. If you start using lots of space you can upgrade to a paid account. Most people never need to.

When you install it on your PC / Macbook it will create a Dropbox folder that you can use for anything.

So, for sharing photos - just create a new folder underneath the Photos folder. Drop all your images there and then right click (control click on Mac) and choose "share dropbox link". This creates an online photo album link to your photos. The link will be in your clipboard, so paste it anywhere to use.

Example, here's a couple of photos of a Vespa I restored a while ago.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k8yqb2q58srks05/zDjij4uxLs

and in the interest of full disclosure... every referral for a new person joining up to dropbox earns the 'referer' additional free space (500mb i think). if you wish to look at dropbox without the 'referral', the direct link is www.dropbox.com.

there are also quite a few other free cloud storage options out there... I have dropbox, google drive and microsoft's Onedrive...

also, my iphone automatically uploads my photos from my phone to my dropbox account - so if my phone goes in the toilet or gets nicked I shouldn't lose too many pics.
    Last edited by griffiths_r; 08-04-14, 07:42 PM.
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

BTW, that's quite an improvement on the vespa!
      Richard Griffiths
      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
        and in the interest of full disclosure... every referral for a new person joining up to dropbox earns the 'referer' additional free space (500mb i think). if you wish to look at dropbox without the 'referral', the direct link is www.dropbox.com.

there are also quite a few other free cloud storage options out there... I have dropbox, google drive and microsoft's Onedrive...

also, my iphone automatically uploads my photos from my phone to my dropbox account - so if my phone goes in the toilet or gets nicked I shouldn't lose too many pics.
        ....actually, full disclosure - I run an IT infrastructure company focused around delivering storage and server solutions to large enterprises but still always recommend Dropbox (semi-competitor) above any other solution from an end-user perspective. I have no association to Dropbox and actually pay for a large capacity account with them purely because it's so simple to use compared to Google, Microsoft or any other competitor. My link does provide my account with extra free space - I actually don't need it so if there are any other dropbox users there that want some free space add your link instead - better to have someone get it than not.
        Last edited by jason; 08-04-14, 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks Jason,

I do have a DropBox a/c already but like to see the images here on the forum rather than just a link. Am still annoyed the new software changes seem to have radically downsized images we can share.

May try the DopBox option to see how well it works for me.
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
            Thanks Jason,

I do have a DropBox a/c already but like to see the images here on the forum rather than just a link. Am still annoyed the new software changes seem to have radically downsized images we can share.

May try the DopBox option to see how well it works for me.
            That makes sense. I was thinking for albums where you've got 20+ photos dropbox is a good place rather than directly posted. For a couple of photos it's definitely better to have them directly in the forum.

I'm sure the size thing is just a tweak of a setting. When I do system upgrades if the only thing to fix is a single issue like photo size it's a massive relief that so little actually got broken. :-) Good work Richard I say!

Comment

Originally posted by jason View Post
              so simple to use compared to Google, Microsoft or any other competitor.

yeah agree. i pay for google drive (about 1/4 the cost of dropbox)... but dropbox is hands down the better storage system.
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

just worked out there is a downside to dropbox links for photos...

one of the great things about this forum is that we cough up the money for big storage on a server so we can keep all the great photos everyone posts (without archiving any history) - the compromise is having to have a reasonable file size limit to keep things under control (we're over 1Gb and counting!).

the downside to linking to external sites is that if the link breaks, we don't have a copy of the pics. early S has this problem too...
                Richard Griffiths
                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Rich - agreed I hate using external storage for that reason. Always frustrating when you are searching through old information and the photos have gone.......
                  Cam Arnott
                  Looking for engine #6208151
                  1970 911E (Sold)
                  '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                  2 x Split Screen Kombis
                  TYP 901 Register # 78
                  Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Not a fan of the external links on the forum. Nice to see the images as you read...
                    Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Guys,

Just a thought, how about a FACEBOOK page for sharing photos and videos? There are a bunch of classic Porsche groups doing it.

I know it's external but the uploading and viewing process is so easy.

Not to be controversial, but having just retired from the IT industry after 25 years, I believe these proprietary BBS' are a thing of the past and very old fashioned.

There are (now) better social media options where we can communicate.

Comment

Originally posted by stf911 View Post
                        Guys,

Just a thought, how about a FACEBOOK page for sharing photos and videos? There are a bunch of classic Porsche groups doing it.

I know it's external but the uploading and viewing process is so easy.

Not to be controversial, but having just retired from the IT industry after 25 years, I believe these proprietary BBS' are a thing of the past and very old fashioned.

There are (now) better social media options where we can communicate.
                        I must be old fashioned...have had many arguements with spouse over facebook and refuse to join,so wont be part of that idea.
                        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by stf911 View Post
                          I believe these proprietary BBS' are a thing of the past and very old fashioned.

old fashioned it is then - this forum is the best thing this club has!!!!
                          Richard Griffiths
                          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Got it!

Comment

I'm a member of a few of the wastebook Porsche pages, and I agree they are great for a quick visual hit But I know Facebook is farming my profile, and otherwise spamming me with **** I don't want to read.

The real value of these sorts of forums is that they're controlled by proper enthusiasts (sometimes over controlled - I bet '****' is censored ), and I'm more likely to trust someone here on a $$deal or to go out of my way to help someone than on Facebook...

Ha! just saw my fecal word was censored. Actually it's probably the only real issue I have with the site. Even Early S lets me swear.
                              John Forcier
                              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                              Restoration Saga
                              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Working...
                              X