Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TYP901 Forum - Flarum

Hi All,

Given the fact that the Website upgrade was mentioned in the AGM, I thought we should, if possible, support a couple of geeks from Adelaide that are putting together their own forum software called Flarum.

I stumbled across it on Kickstarter and it looks promising, it offers out of the box mobile compatibility and migration from vBulletin etc.

Flarum can be viewed on Kickstarter here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...egory_location

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Harry.

I’d be reluctant to go in this direction for a couple of reasons.

Firstly and most importantly I’d be loath to increase the workload of our volunteer webmaster by getting him to have to learn a new software package, particularly as the club already owns a license for the latest version of the existing system.

To justify being a ‘guinea pig’ for a new platform you’d want some pretty compelling upgrades over the current system, and seeing the club’s utilization of the existing software is pretty basic I can’t see the advantages.

Finally, if this business doesn’t get up who’s going to support the software going forward?
    Paul Wischer
    1969 911T
    1979 Californian Moke
    TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Originally posted by Paul W View Post
      I’d be reluctant to go in this direction for a couple of reasons.

Firstly and most importantly I’d be loath to increase the workload of our volunteer webmaster by getting him to have to learn a new software package, particularly as the club already owns a license for the latest version of the existing system.

To justify being a ‘guinea pig’ for a new platform you’d want some pretty compelling upgrades over the current system, and seeing the club’s utilization of the existing software is pretty basic I can’t see the advantages.

Finally, if this business doesn’t get up who’s going to support the software going forward?
      Laggard :-)

If the funding level to make it a viable proposition is not reached then it doesn't go forward.

And it is likely to make less work for Admins given the fact that it is a modern platform. I'd even volunteer to do the migration.

And like all IT projects of this kind you'd keep running with the old whilst trialling the new, if no good, don't proceed.

Sorry for any mistakes, I typed this on my phone and could on t see the text because it's too small.

Cheers,

Harry.
      Last edited by Harry; 13-10-14, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
        Hi All,

Given the fact that the Website upgrade was mentioned in the AGM, I thought we should, if possible, support a couple of geeks from Adelaide that are putting together their own forum software called Flarum.

I stumbled across it on Kickstarter and it looks promising, it offers out of the box mobile compatibility and migration from vBulletin etc.

Flarum can be viewed on Kickstarter here:

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Harry.
        I've a little experience in the area as I run an IT company and also provide enterprise consultancy for similar types of products. vBulletin is one of the most respected providers of forum software in the world. There is a massive community of developers working on it actively. There really isn't anything that can't be done in vBulletin. Typ901 doesn't even use 5% of the functionality.

My vote would be to use the funds to introduce new features to our existing software.

On a side note, I'm a massive fan of kickstarter and have backed many projects. Without exception the explainer video and marketing far exceed to product quality. They are also notoriously late in delivery. However, these guys / girls are trying to make a difference in the world and deserve support (probably just not with the forum software).

Comment

I live with 3 women if that's the worst I get called today it'd be a miracle

I was referring to what happens if (like many start-ups) they raise their initial capital and wind up after 12 months. Don't have a problem in supporting budding entrepreneurs if the only downside is losing a little cash you're willing to gamble.

Cheers
          Paul Wischer
          1969 911T
          1979 Californian Moke
          TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

I'd say stick with V Bulletin. Its tried and tested and if we arent using all its features, why change ?
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by jason View Post
              Typ901 doesn't even use 5% of the functionality.
              now there's a challenge for you Uwe!!!

My vote would be to use the funds to introduce new features to our existing software.
              Agree!

I've a little experience in the area as I run an IT company and also provide enterprise consultancy for similar types of products.
              guess who has signed himself up for being the next webmaster if Uwe ever retires!!!!!
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Sort of on topic, but the German links to to post a comment do my head in. I never know what buttons to use. Very confusing.
                Kane Kennedy
                Typ 901 Register #204
                71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Yeah that was Erwins idea when he was webmaster. I think w sould change it back to English.

Uwe ? can do ?
                  sigpicPhil Lack
                  TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                  Early 911-S Registry # 690
                  R-Gruppe # 367
                  '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                  '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                  2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                  1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Kane k View Post
                    Sort of on topic, but the German links to to post a comment do my head in. I never know what buttons to use. Very confusing.
                    Agree with you Kane, especially when using an iPad.
                    Peter D

TYP901# 233
                    911T Coupe 68
                    911E Targa 73
                    911E Coupe 72 (sold)
                    1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

The recent updates where necessary to plug security risks after a long update drought so that the forum kept running with the service provider.

The next update to the latest vBulletin will have the vanilla vBulletin feel and in English using a nice theme. The prime directive is to keep data integrity and have it all accessible as it is now going back to the first crank. Then look at the other 95% functionality and adopt some of it if its necessary as opposed to just nice, got to the keep it simple to make future updates easy.

The overall upgrade will also involve new servers (forum and mail), dual running of current and new, then testing, testing and testing before a roll over, just the usual IT routine.

IT, Porsches and Kombis, never a dull moment! :p
                      Uwe Imhoff
                      TYP901 Website Mechanic

Comment

thanks Uwe - good to have you in the driver's seat!!
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                        X