Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The deal has been struck, we have a new 901 comming to Aus

The car is a LHD German 72E delivered new to Wolfgang Kremer
    Wolfgang relocated to Queenstown NZ as a ski instructor in 78 and brought the car with him.
    He participated in Porsche club New Zealand events and was know by the current owner, Wayne Graves.
    Wayne runs the only Porsche shop in Christchurch NZ outside the dealership and has photos of the car on the track driven by Wolfgang.
    The car changed hands when Wolfgang left NZ in the late 80s to it second owner, who’s name I forget at the moment, Wayne also knows this owner.
    During this time the engine was rebuilt by Archibalds (the official Porsche centre in Christchurch) to full S-spec
    Wayne has known the car all its life and knows the tech who preformed the rebuild, later when he had the opportunity to purchase it he did so.
    Wayne ran the car in full Gulf livery doing motor sport events since 96, improving it over time.
    Wayne is now ready to make the move up to a full project R spec car.
    The car has been well looked after in Wayne’s hands with any work the car needed just being done.
    This is reflected in the overall condition of the car and the way it performs and handles, superbly.
    Wayne is a firm believer in using the cars for what they are designed for and that we are just custodians of these cars for the next generation.

The car isn’t concourse but is very tidy and rust free.

Enhancements include
    Engine rebuild to full S spec with 200HP
    Original RS flares
    Front oil cooler
    Sports exhaust
    Era race car ventilated discs and alloy callipers
    Fibreglass front & rear bumpers
    Lowered front spindles
    Adjustable Konis all round
    Adjustable rear spring plates.
    Plastic bushes
    SC sway bars and rose joints
    Aluminium trailing arms
    Front strut brace
    Original 6 & 7” Fuchs

I intend to return the car to full gulf colours and use it on track days and drive days with other historic car enthusiasts.
    Now the wait begins until it arrives, time to think about painting the bumper and wheel or just the stripe...

Pics as it is now (and yes they are the real plates on it)
    Attached Files

Comment

Inspiration for the new colour scheme
      Attached Files

Comment

With painted wheels and bumpers
        Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic Darren, thats going to be one very distinct car. Will it be here in time for Christmas.
          Pity you couldn't spend Christmas holidays in New Zealand and drive their roads.

Congratulations
          Brett

Comment

Congratulations Darren

It looks great
            I have always liked the Gulf coloured cars whichever combination is used

I can't wait to see it either

It will make a worthy addition to the local scene
            Hugh Hodges
            1973 E
            Australian TYP 901 Register #005
            Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Congratulations from me too Darren !

It's a very pretty car that sounds well sorted...can't wait to see it.

And FWIW I like option 1 in yr pics for Gulf colours - clean and sleek ...

Cheers,

Comment

Hey Darren,

well done, you took the plunge and wont be sorry. You did your homework, asked lots of questions, picked lots of brains and sounds like you have a hot little car there.

Looks like there could be a LHD chapter started within the club??

Did he let you keep the plate ??
                sigpicPhil Lack
                TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                Early 911-S Registry # 690
                R-Gruppe # 367
                '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Well done Darren...

What a great find with such an interesting and complete history.

For a car that has done a fair bit of track time it's great to see the previous owner has not modified and 'improved ' the car too much.
                  He must have liked his early cars kept pure and true to the original concept. Good luck with your Typ 901 adventure.

BTW...how did you hear about this car?

Comment

That's a lovely colour combo for sure!

Comment

Sounds like a good deal Darren now you just have to deal with engineering, transport and customs and boy can that be fun.

Some tips.

You will need either lap/sash belts in the rear or get the rear seats locked down otherwise no go for rego

Allow extra funds for steam cleaning and crazy port charges etc even though it may not need it as they do it anyway!!!

Make sure you get your import certificate before you arrange shipping otherwise you might find the car confiscated. Have you though what you would do if import is denied as it does happen although apparently only rarely.

I can help point you in the right direction to apply and what to do to save time.

PS I like any version of the Gulf Blue livery.
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President
                      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Great car Darren...

Here's a few for'ya mate

The first is one I know REALLY well... :wink:

Cheers,
                        Attached Files
                        Chuck Miller
                        The Australian TYP 901 Register #062
                        Early 911S Registry #109 - Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator
                        R Gruppe #88

Comment

Gulf

Hello Darren all

Lovely looking car.

One thing, & my opinion only.

Don't let ANY orange paint anywhere near that car. At all.

Perfect as it is.

Regards

SC Kay.

Comment

I thought I might throw a few thoughts together for people still looking for cars.

I actually found this car from one of Phil’s posts on the old forum.

I started out looking for a matching number Aussie car and after doing lots of reading found myself going higher on the evolution scale until I had decided on a late S.
                            After looking around on the local market for about a year and not turning up the cars that I was really looking for at a price point that I was happy with I started to think about what I wanted the car for rather than the specs and originality of the car.
                            This led me to the decision that I wanted an early car that I can enjoy doing events in and if I have an incident with I won’t be kicking myself forever that I destroyed a very collectable concourse early S

As soon as I saw the Gulf blue car the idea of gulf racing colours entrenched itself in my brain and after a phone call to Ian at RS Consulting all the mechanicals sounded perfect for what I wanted.
                            I had to fight a mental battle about LHD and non Aussie delivered as I have always looked at imports as lesser cars rather than equals to our Aussie deliveries but logic prevailed that they all come from the same factory and we just get ROW spec cars like Germany did in the 70s.
                            LHD also raised some fears about resale and drivability but after some thought I come to the conclusion that in many ways LHD is better, the car was designed to be LHD and the layout of everything makes more sense. I had no intention of using it as a daily either which also helped with the decision.
                            LHD is also meant to be an advantage on the track but I’ll comment on the after a few sprint events.

At this point I started to weigh up the costs of importing vs finding a rust free local car, doing a good respray and setting up the mechanicals to the same spec.
                            I quickly worked out the latter would take me over $70K without any real surprises and one thing I know from many years of Porsche ownership is buy a good one.
                            A crappy cheap car is a false economy and they can cost a bucket load to get right if they have been let go.

Speaking to Wayne the current owner of the car all but sealed the deal with an exception of an inspection; he has been heavily involved with the marquee, PCNZ and racing for many years.
                            He was very passionate about the car and new its history in great detail from day dot.
                            At this point I decided a car with a solid history, that had been raced but had been cared for by a passionate mechanic owner was a better proposition than buying a cosmetically great car from a local dealer that had just masked up problems with somebody old unloved daily driver.
                            As my mechanic pointed out even with a thorough PPI you can’t uncover all the possible mechanical or body issues that can hide some rather large costs.

The trip to NZ resulted in the purchase, The next step is importing the car and I think that is worthy of a new thread so people who are still looking for cars can get an idea of the procedures and costs associated with importing. Phil might like to kick that one off.

I also should point out that the members of the typ901 register are an invaluable source of information on what’s what and how things should be on these old cars.
                            Between these guys I’m sure you have the biggest pool of 901 knowledge in the country at your disposal.
                            Don’t be afraid to post or ask silly questions, I sure wasn’t and it paid of in spades with the volumes information I gained.
                            This helped me greatly in the decision making process and I thank all of you that put in your 2 cents (or in some case a lot more, thanks Phil)

Comment

Darren,

Warning, warning...have you got your import permit yet?
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President
                              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                              X