Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To backdate or not to backdate?

Hi looking for some guidance
    My goal is to end up with ST/RSR clone. The appearance should be correct, but engine wise it might be more practical to run later engine ie. 3.2 or 3.6 maybe 3.0 turbo, if you get my drift. My question is, should I be looking for a pre '74 car, or backdate a later car? Can the later 911s shed enough weight to attain that early car feel, that makes them so special? This car will have to be a coupe. I have seen others turn targas into coupes. If I can get an early targa at the right price would it be reasonable to weld a roof on it?
    Interested in your thoughts
    Cheers John

What about a 912 as a base? Saves the hasle of having to backdate.....

I'm not sure but I think the targas had additional chassis strengthening so more weight there plus possible conversion stigma if you sell.

Seems to be a few mid 70's LHD shells getting around pretty cheap.

I think with fibreglass panels & stripping interior, you could shed quite a lot of weight. Depends how carried away you want to get really!
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

I cant remember when I last saw a 912 or are they running around in 911 disguise already? If Iam going down the RSR road, which were halve fiberglass anyway, then backdating seems like the more practical option. I guess?? Where did all the extra weight come from on later cars? Is it all the power options ,sound deadening materials or were there some fundamental stuctural changes?

Comment

How about a 964? Heavier but you get all the niceties... and a 3.6 already in.

Comment

Paul Stephens does 964s in the UK. Apparently they are not so easily backdated as 3.2, 3.0. I like your '68S. That happens to be my vintage, wouldn't mind ending up with a '68 either. There is a black '68T up the road, owner thinking of selling. US car been here sometime, converted about 10 years. Don't know how much he wants for it yet.....

Comment

John, given all the fibreglass guards you're going to do... it's probably worthwhile backdating a galvanised body car - maybe a brown SC!
            I believe 'restorer' is the man to ask for this stuff.
            There is a targa being converted to a coupe in sydney at the moment - for the $$ and what you're doing, you'd be better off backdating or finding a rough coupe to start with.
            just my 2c.
            Nick

Comment

Hi Nick
              You're not talking about my SC are you? My wife would kill me-"her" car, and its mocha thanks. What do you know about the targa-coupe conversion, who's doing it and how much$?
              If you are talking about my car how do you know its colour??
              Cheers John

Comment

LOL!
                sorry John... i didn't know you owned a mocha SC. For what it's worth, I love mocha. I was just trying to think of a colour that was perhaps a little un-loved... I know of a brown (not mocha) SC that sold recently for $19K, something like that would have been a good base car.
                From now on I think I'm going to have to choose my colour references very carefully - has anyone seen the 'bamboo' SC for sale on carsales?
                Re the targa conversion, I know PR Technology have something to do with it - not sure who's doing the body work though I'd suggest Zags.
                Cheers,
                Nick
                ps - welcome to the board...

Comment

Too funny...nice one Nick!! W
                  elcome John, I met you at the Porsche club meeting. Good luck with the search.

Comment

No worries Nick, not offended. Incidentally the car was actually ordered as metallic black and the abreviation got lost in translation somehow. Anyhow the guy received a slight discount from Newell's on delivery of SC- he was pretty upset. So the story goes. Are you going to PCNSW meeting tonight, or anyone else out there listening?
                    Cheers John

Comment

Back dating the SC/Carreras is pretty easy now with parts such as glass longhoods with shorthood latches available from the US (this means you don't have to weld in a new latch panel). Most other things are bolt on a part from removing a small bit of metal from the rear betwen the tail lights.

If I ever have to replace my car, I'll build it again from scratch using a galvanised shell and backdate parts. And a 3.6
                      John Forcier
                      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                      Restoration Saga
                      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

John it is intersting to hear an early car owner choosing to backdate next time around. It makes a lot of sense, I guess that's why more people are doing it. Thanks for your comments
                        Cheers John

Comment

Having recently gone down the backdating route myself recently I'd recommend it.
                          If you could find the right car a 930 is the way to go. They have the correct track width for an RSR conversion. They also have big brakes. Getting an intercooler under a ducktail is a bit of a challenge but it can be done.
                          John Storey in Qld has the correct front guard moulds if you decide to go that way.

Comment

Working...
                          X