Thredbo nationals 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thredbo nationals 2008

Phil and I have been discussing the feasibility of a Nationals meeting in April or May 2008 in Thredbo.

We are also talking of a recce run this year to check it out. A weekend in late April or early May, arrive Friday evening, dinner, solid day Saturday assessing things including family activities (lots to do in Thredbo - tennis, golf, walking, hiking, AIS centre for gym and swim, mountain biking, chairlift riding, lots of cafes and some excellent restaurants, as well as just hanging out in the gorgeous autumn weather). Then a dinner Sat night, home on Sunday.

Any one interested? Please let me know asap as I will enquire with the bookings centre for accommodation and secure parking. It would be good to get a few from Sydney and Melbourne at least.

And more importantly, everyones thoughts on how to make this happen. A years notice should be enough. What do you think about it being a 3 night event (Friday Sat Sun) in the latter part of the school holidays after Easter? Would enable more people and families to come? Or is it a dopey idea and better off being in one city?

Post your thoughts.

tonyc

I'm up for the rec run Tony as I am now not going to R Gruppe (didn't have enough points to upgrade to business and I am getting fussy in my old age).

Personally I think we need to go where the facilities are great for the kids and wives and the roads are great for the guys and the cars. If thats Thredbo then I am there, if its Sydney or melbourne or anywhere else then I am there instead
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Tony
      My thoughts:
      Thredbo sounds like a great weekend away for a bit of driving on some great alpine roads - for those who love driving, not necessarily for those in the passenger seat (or worse. in the back "seats").
      It may be a great place to hold a Nationals meeting - but then again it may not.
      I originally listed a number of reasons why I considered Thredbo may not be a good choice, but in reading the post I sounded very negative - so I scrubbed it and will have an open mind pending further investigation and discussion.
      So I suppose that the only way to determine if Thredbo is suitable is to do a recce as suggested and have a group from both Melb and Sydney thrash it out over a few good reds (wine for most of us and cordial for Clyde)

My preferred dates are 4-6 May (but am available 20-22 April)

Melbourne hosted the Nationals in 2005 and it was a great success due to our local knowledge which made planning runs/events/ restaurants etc relatively simple, albeit months of planning by a number of people (not me) went into the event to make it such a success.

Such detailed planning may not be an issue at Thredbo as the choices are fairly limited due to its isolation.

If Thredbo is not a goer, then I suggest that the 2008 Nationals be held in "Sidee" - to quote a former IOC boss.
      I understand that Sydney membership numbers rival Melbournes and therefore you deserve to hold this event (ie it's your turn) - although it will mean planning a couple of runs which appear to pose a few organisational problems for you recently -
      No worries you've got a year to get it right.

I also suggest that rather than going 'solo' to Thredbo for the recce, we consider travelling in pairs/vehicle where possible to share the driving and fuel costs.

I'm off to bed, goodnight all.
      Peter Williams #049
      Secretary TYP901
      1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Hey Clyde, you could buy a one-way business class seat to the US and come back in the RS drivers seat in its shipping container!!!

tony

Comment

Thredbo is very nice... I went there several years ago with the 356's.... I took my 911!

While its nice it presents logistical challenges for the organisers.... who will actually own the event? All of us? 1 of us, none of us?

A Sydney event would be more controllable for NSW organisers... I have some ideas for a Sydney event... but will ultimately be swayed by consensus.
          Justin Reed
          aka Reedminor
          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
          1961 356B #114700
          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Presumably the event would be "owned" by the Register (as an association) itself. And be default, the Committee members.

Comment

Tony - late April early May and we would be interested.

Comment

Sydney could work for me also as it's a lot easier from Brisvegas...
                John Forcier
                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                Restoration Saga
                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Chris and Leonie

Thanks for reply - are you referring to the recce run this year or the big gig next year?

tony

Comment

A Sydney event would be better for me as well - the big gig that is
                    Cam Arnott
                    Looking for engine #6208151
                    1970 911E (Sold)
                    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                    2 x Split Screen Kombis
                    TYP 901 Register # 78
                    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Looks like a Thredbo National event is a dud idea from the north side of the border, judging by the almost complete lack of response. I am up for an informal meeting in Thredbo anyway - Phil Clyde Peter do you want me to follow this up for an early May get together - ie 4-6 as suggested by Mr Upwey? Let me know.

Comment

Tony,

I am still keen but May 4-6 is out due to my Daughters school play where she plays a starring role. I missed her last year whilst at R Gruppe in California so cannot be away again.

I would be keen to hear what other Sydney members have to say about a Sydney (or nearby) based event. I had suggested Thredbo some time ago as its midway, and a really good destination to visit, and is surrounded by fantastic, empty roads.

Having witnessed (on this board) the attempts to muster Sydney members for even a Sunday run, I am concerned how they will approach (and participate in) a more time-intensive National gathering ??

I think a 2008 Gathering is indeed a good idea, as our other similar events have been well attended and enjoyed by all. Membership has significantly expanded since then and there have been informal meetings such as at the Phillip Island Historics, where members seemed to have enjoyed getting together to talk and drive cars.

Letsd keep this discussion alive and get as many contributions as possible so we actually plan something the majority wants.
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                        Early 911-S Registry # 690
                        R-Gruppe # 367
                        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

How do you guys all feel about the Sunshine State?
                          John Forcier
                          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                          Restoration Saga
                          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Tony
                            Pity about the (lack of) interest from the Sydneysiders, however, I'm still keen to have an informal visit if we can get enough bods to go. As Phil is unavailable on the 4-6th, my other availablities are 20-22 April or 11-13 May (includes Mother's Day). I suggest that to make this a 'worthwhile' trip that it is important that at the very least you and Phil be there - but also it would be nice if we had at least 6-10 cars along for the ride (some from both sides of the border).
                            Peter Williams #049
                            Secretary TYP901

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                              How do you guys all feel about the Sunshine State?
                              Sorry John, we're not yet advanced enough to go "International"
                              Peter Williams #049
                              Secretary TYP901

Comment

Working...
                              X