2.4S Targa restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.4S Targa restoration

I have been asked to outline the process I got involved in during the restoration of my Australian delivery 2.4S Targa. I could write a book but I will keep it short as possible.

My first Porsche was 2.4E which I bought in 1995 and had Spyder do a mechanical rebuild while I undertook the task of cleaning the car from top to bottom and re painting all suspension etc.

It turned out a very nice car and is still here in Melbourne, on blocks unfortunately, but owned by a member of Australia 8's rowing team from the 92 Olympics.

I sold this car as I had decided I wanted an S and managed to convince John Taylor to part with his Aussie delivery 2.4S. I wanted to do a full concourse to this car and had started the project with Charlie Battisti when a business sale and house purchase caused some financial uncertainty and I decided to abandon the project part way. The car was sold to into Sydney. Later on I was to repurchase this car and sold it again when I decided I wanted an RS. Tony Caro is now the keeper of this great car.

The Targa came on the scene just over 6 years ago when the financial uncertainty had cleared and I was desperate to relocate an Aussie 2.4S (wish I had bought the RS then instead)

The only one available for ages was this car which was a Melbourne car having been driven in 3 Targa Tassie events. It was originally owned by Robert Atkins of Scuderia Veloce fame and was indeed one of only 4 RHD Aussie delivery 5 speed Targa cars to come into the country. I have always liked open top cars (my older sister owned an MG which I borrowed lots when chasing chicks in my early days) and hence the Targa didn't bother me at all.

So began a 6 year process.

Originally I cleaned the car up, drove it a bit and started accumulating the parts I knew I would need.

I wanted this car to be unique, the best it could be, if not better than original.

I had the car assessed and as expected a full engine and mechanical rebuild was required which was undertaken at Spyder. Everything was either replaced or refurbished in motor, gearbox, suspension etc. I had to locate an 85 litre tank and associated parts as this had been replaced and most of the internal trim was missing or totally destroyed.

Thank god for Porsche Cars Aust. where Paul Girt was awesome in helping me locate parts in the early days and later Alex Peters has assumed that role.

While the mechanical reubuild was underway I approched Joe Tupec, a well known private operator, to do the body work on the car a job he accepted. Accordingly the shell headed towards his factory.

After media blasting the car and spending lots of time getting rid of the underbody sound proofing material sprayed on at the factory lots of the metal had disappeared due to rust. :cry:

Further, a previous owner had cut 4 massive holes, 2 in the rear parcel shelf and 2 in the front lugage area for speakers for a sound system so these areas had to be repaired/remade also and after a hard previous life there were not many staraight panels left. A new LH door was located and lots of handforming was undertaken to recreate missing metal.

The sudden passing of John Gregory in 2003 caused a significant slow down in the process for a while and the usual repairer juggling game also made the process painfully slow at times. Those who have repainted a car will understand fully what I am talking about. Joe also closed his private business and returned to working for Charlie Battisti so only had weekends to work on mine and several other projects he had on the go.

Eventually in late 2004 the car was ready for painting and Paul at Rankins Panels did an awesome job following on from the great prep done by Joe. The whole car was painted in glasurit 2 pack in original silver and then clear coated.

The task of re_assembly was principally done by Mike at Spyder, with contributions from yours truly. Mike had taken over the mechanical work after Johns death.

So almost 6 years to the day the car had its first public appearance at the recent 356 day and it has only a few minor things to fix before it can be truly declared as finished.

Everyone asks what was the cost.

Well I paid $45,000 for the car and I was keeping very accurate records as to what I had spent for a long time until one day I added the cost up and nearly passed out.

Suffice to say there would be no change out of $150,000 and with the new pricing structure from Porsche I would hate to think how much such a project would cost in the future. I have Porsche Aust invoices totalling well over $40,000 for parts I had bought and thats not counting any mechanical parts supplied for the engine etc by Spyder. I was indeed fortunate that I was able to locate virtually every part I needed either new from Porsche or via EBay but that will probably not be possible in the near future either.

I am enjoying driving the car having done 1100 miles thus far. The motor is feeling better each time I drive. It will not be a garage queen nor will it be driven every day and I have no plans to part with the car and attack the RS as some people are assuming.

Hope you enjoy the pics as much as I have enjoyed the end result of a lot of effort from a lot of people.
    Attached Files
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

And more
    Attached Files
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President

Comment

And more
      Attached Files
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President

Comment

And even more
        Attached Files
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President

Comment

And some more
          Attached Files
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President

Comment

The finished article :lol:
            Attached Files
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President

Comment

I guess I now know who sets the benchmark for p-car restorations?

Rich[/quote]
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Clyde
                Absolutely fascinating and informative - you deserve all the praise you have received thus far. Your pride was most evident at the 356 Parade and I was indeed most privileged to offer you the finishing item that you had searched the world for but to no avail - the elusive A-pillar rubber. All the time it was readily available in every corner Chemist shop (Drug Store to our US mates). Unfortunately the rubber came out of the Ansell company rather that from Stuttgart. - see attached photo.
                I appreciated your honesty in describing the 'original' condition of the car (hard life, rust, bent panels, missing metal etc) and the cost involved.
                Also, your comment re its future use is very sensible, although with all your recent acquisitions the biggest problem is going to be - Which one today??
                Peter Williams #049
                Secretary TYP901
                1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

A-pillar rubber

Clyde showing off his new acquisition
                  Attached Files
                  Peter Williams #049
                  Secretary TYP901
                  1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Thanks for sharing! It is truly amazing how quickly the cost adds up in such a project!

Comment

Money pits

Erwin,

I thought you were about to embark on a reasonably large spend on your 68S ? I saw it again out at Phil's place yesterday. Am not suggesting you are attempting a "Clyde style" resto but there seems to be sufficient work required in the car to consume some serious dollars ?

And the earlier year car you get, the harder to find (and more costly) parts seems to get.

Any idea on the time fame you are looking at to get the mechanicals all done ?
                      sigpicPhil Lack
                      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                      Early 911-S Registry # 690
                      R-Gruppe # 367
                      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

I'm not intending to restore my 68S to concourse, at least not yet. I'm going to get the mechanicals right, and fix up the rust for now, as I intend it to be a driver. To get it to concourse will break my bank. As long as I can drive it and it doesn't break down on me, I'll be happy.

Comment

Working...
                        X