Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing the waters

Hi guys,

I think i am coming to the conclusion that it might be time to sell the 912.

This has come about with much deliberation but is basically down to the fact that my new job is taking up to much of my time and requiring enough travel that I don't want to do it all on the 912. So i would like some advice from you all as to what you think it is worth.

So here goes.

-1968 Californian 912 converted some time ago. chassis # 12803582.

Conversion is pretty good quality although the radio is in the wrong spot. There is some evidence that the car was 'done up' around the same time (say 20 yr ago) but was thereafter left to go down hill by PO. I have put quite a bit of time and $$$ into returning it to a reasonable standard and it is now a quite reasonable little car.

Rust wise the body is pretty good although the floors have a second layer of metal welded over the originals so i suspect originals are not so good. The second layer is certainly very sound. The front suspension mount has been replaced.

I resprayed the entire car mainly because it couldn't look much worse than it did colourwise and the result is now a great '10ft' away car. Certainly gets all the attention it deserves.

The engine (I believe it to be original but don't know) runs well - it was rebuilt about 6 years ago by Phil at AutoCoupe, and compression is still good. It has twin dellortos and a good new aftermarket distributor as these are getting hard to find new.

The interior is in good condition with a recovered dash, leather seats, although the carpet is not original.I have a great Nardi wheel in it too.

It also has Deep Six fuchs, and lots of other original bits in good condition. Lots of new rubbers too.

It would be a great car for someone to either complete the restoration or given the lack of originality maybe to use as a base for a replica / race car. I would consider selling it without the engine if someone was interested in doing a replica.

So what do you all think? I know it is a converted lefty AND 912 which is completely sacriligious, but the kind of price i am looking at means there is almost no cheaper way of getting into early p-cars.

I am thinking around $23K incl RWC and rego.

I will post some pics to follow.

Chris

[ATTACH]2420[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2421[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2422[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2423[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2424[/ATTACH]

Comment

Here is some shots before the paint job. Many of you saw it and will testify to the improvement no doubt!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

bigger shots of first ones now i know what i am doing. BTW I am thinking of getting another porsche, maybe a later model 911.
        Attached Files

Comment

No idea..............great help isn't it
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President
          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Chris i don't think you'd get much argument that the purple was a shocker!!

i have no idea on what a 912 is worth... all i can suggest is ebay, carsales, drive, carpoint etc...

stick with porsches - they are the best!

cheers

rich
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

That purple (is it lilac) I think looks great myself.

Comment

Yeah i know it is hard to price these things, I guess it is what someone will pay for it. I might just sit on it for a while, am tossing up the idea of just getting a cheap run around for work, let that car become a garage queen.

Either way if someone is interested am happy to show it to you.

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

Hard to say... I really love 912's....I was looking for one when i tripped over my 911L

Given your description I'd say high teens... Original colour? Orginal engine (not sure), some nice parts and a strong 912 engine rebuilt by a reputable and trusted mechanic. LHD conversion - done well? By whom?

Did the other car being sold by Restorer sell prior to Christmas?
                  Justin Reed
                  aka Reedminor
                  1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                  1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                  1961 356B #114700
                  Instagram: reedminor

Comment

yes i did sell it its the blue car on the list on another thread for sale for $48000 i got $23000 and i think i did alright but it is very good car

Comment

option B: get a really really big type 4 motor built for it...

Comment

Ryan,

That thought had crossed my mind before, that way i could store the 616 given their value. Problem with that is as i understand it the gearing is wrong, although that is only cause stock T4's don't rev high. A good one could be made to.

Do you know anyone who has done this, or have you seen it in Aus?

Chris
                        Last edited by Chris912; 19-04-07, 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Chris,

Checkout Page 222 in the latest Unique Cars magazine, its another perspective on 912 values!

Garnet.

Comment

Hey Chris, FYI you have two different prices on your ad!

Good luck also
                            Cam Arnott
                            Looking for engine #6208151
                            1970 911E (Sold)
                            '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                            2 x Split Screen Kombis
                            TYP 901 Register # 78
                            Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Working...
                            X