Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visited Autofarm yesterday

Hi everyone,

I spent a couple of hours at Autofarm yesterday looking at their "recreation" cars. One was in progress and it was the ideal time to review the quality of work they do when backdating a late model SC to early 911 specs.

The white car was going to an Irish client and was to be fitted wiht a 3.5 engine (upgraded 3.2 - this is a new one to me ??). Apparently it gives bagfuls of torque (pommy expression).

It also had the Boxster brake up grade which was done extremely neatly and is something I might consider for my 72E to give it far better stopping abilities.

The other black car is also a backdated SC rebadged as a 911S and with RS flares. This car had a 964 engine fitted (std spec). There is plenty of demand over here for early cars but with a few more comforts ( the white car had A/C fitted). prices of these cars are around GBP 80,000 each.

there was also a very nice 73S parked outside when we arrived - a customers car being picked up after service. I asked what that car would be worth in the current UK market. They said around GBP 90,000 ! Yikes !

They also had a lightweight RS awaqiting preperation for sale. No price on it but think "Expensive". It had all the rights bits incl lightweight glass, original seats etc.

Autofarm is apaprently geting back to theri roots and wil be offering nmore early cars for sale shortly. We spotted a 72S (Albert Blue) being prepped which should be on their website shortly.

Great place to visit if you are ever in the UK nearby Oxford - very friendly guys and always happy to talk 901 Porsche.
    Attached Files
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Nice one Phill, thanks for sharing.

Are the Boxter brakes suitable for 15" rims?
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

"Are the Boxster brakes suitable for 15" rims?"

yep (got 'em on the blue car)

Comment

ps. you must have more pics that that phil...

Comment

Yup, more pics. Backdated early 911s are cool cars, no doubt about that...

Comment

Phil

You are one lucky man... jet-setting around the globe looking at porsches!!!!

Have to agree with the others, surely you have more pics!!?!!

Cheers

Rich

P.S. Your E is safely back in its garage and it performed perfectly (of course!).
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Ryan,

here are a few more pics. I didnt take a lot as it was difficult to get shots of the cars inside the garages and I had taken many more pics last time I visited in 2005.

Some show the rear Boxster brake setup which was part of a recent display they had at a classic car show. This is a really clean setup and AutoFarm sell the kit, as is available ex California from a number of vendors. I think its a worthwhile upgrade but I think you need to upgrade the master cylinder as well (Ryan ?)

The work they do on their 'recreations" is really quite outstanding and the cars are virtually brand new with a commensurate price - almost as much as a new 997.

The blue 73S was a customers car and the Albert Blue 72S was being prepped for sale. it was in surprisingly original condition. Finding unmolested early cars over here is getting hard. there are lots of "california" imports popping up as buyers search for a rust free car.

I would have like to visit Nick Moss at early911.co.uk but he is further away down south (I think).

We did drive into London that afternoon for lunch and I lost count of the number of Aston Martins I saw (Vantage, Vanquish, DB9 etc). Plenty of porsches, all late model but we did see a white RS drive down Mayfair. Oh and a brace of RR Phantoms (big cars !). London is a car spotters paradise and my cousins son, who was with us, said he saw an Enzo last time he was in the city - as you do. Serious money in London. Serious real estate prices too but its asmazing to see such exotic cars parked on the streets as there are simply no garages, unless you are mega rich and have space (like the Queen at Buck palace).

My cousin noted you dont really want to buy a Merc or BMW from a London owner due to all the parking dings in the doors. Speaking of parking, meters are GBP 2.00 per 15 mins. if you can find one.
              Attached Files
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Boxter adapters on eBay now http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Porsche-911-B...QQcmdZViewItem
                John Forcier
                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                Restoration Saga
                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Ryan is it safe to assume the ABS capability has been disabled on your car...!?
                  Cam Arnott
                  Looking for engine #6208151
                  1970 911E (Sold)
                  '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                  2 x Split Screen Kombis
                  TYP 901 Register # 78
                  Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Working...
                  X