Seat Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat Upgrade

After years of sliding around on a set of re-built standard comfort seats, I finally bit the bullet and picked up a set of BF Torino, imitation Recaro Sports seats. I've now had them in the car a couple of weeks and thought I'd put a few kilometers of butt time in them before posting some thoughts for anyone else contemplating going down the same path.

Of the reclining models, I found these the most comfortable (I'm 195cm - 96kgs). I was fortunate enough to be able to try a couple of different models and these seemed to offer a little more width alround whilst providing excellent support. General construction and finish of the seats is excellent whilst installation was made easy due to well made mounting brackets and quality hardware.

Aesthetics and comfort aside these seats are much lighter than the standard and when used in conjunction with a harness make 'spirited driving' a whole lot more fun. Interestingly, another thing I noticed straight away was the absence of a couple of annoying rattles that I had been trying to track down, that I can attribute to the mechanisms of the old seats.

I'm very happy with how they look and how comfortable they are. Thanks to Phil for the time spent in allowing me to compare the various options and running through the installation process.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul W; 15-04-07, 09:33 PM.
    Paul Wischer
    1969 911T
    1979 Californian Moke
    TYP 901 Register Member #77

very sharp!

Comment

Nice,

Phils spending the profits in England at the moment!!!
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Paul

I think you have the same set up that i am dreaming of... except i will probably go with the same seats as Clydes 69S (RallyeST i think?)... harness on the drivers side and intertia reel on the passenger side...

NICE!!!

Cheers

Rich
        Richard Griffiths
        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Thanks guys.

Rich, I’ve retained the inertia reel seat belts for the drivers side as well as added the harness. The harness is fun but not that comfortable over extended periods. Had to go for the easily tiltable variety of seat for the odd occasion I have the little’ns in the back.
          Paul Wischer
          1969 911T
          1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Looks terrific!

My Nurburgrings should be here pretty soon. I've had them made with the harness cut-out option for driver and passenger. I very nearly went with the ST version, but my wife wanted to be able to get in and out as close to how the car was originally as possible. Nurburgs it is
            John Forcier
            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
            Restoration Saga
            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

They look tremendous...

If only we had an agent in Sydney... we could try, touch, feel before we buy...

I have to say I've been very impressed with the quality of the GTS seats but I don't want to spend a shedload to find I'm uncomfortable or lacking in support from the seats. I've sat briefly in two sample seats on previous Melbourne visits.

Would be interested to hear from other gts converts....
              Justin Reed
              aka Reedminor
              1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
              1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
              1961 356B #114700
              Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Justin, why not make the trip down and sample the various options during the next 'unofficial run'. Small investment for such an upgrade?
                Paul Wischer
                1969 911T
                1979 Californian Moke

Comment

I've got a Nurburgring drivers seat, which I find to be very comfortable & a lot more supportive than the original. I think though I'll get another ST & swap the Nurburgring to the passanger side, as I felt the need for a bit more lateral support at Phillip Island. For just punting aroud the Nurburgring has been great. I'm "a bit" less beefy than Paul @76kg & 175cm!

Justin if you want to have a try I'm going to be at Oran Park this Monday & Tuesday.
                  MichaelJapp
                  71E
                  Typ901 #065
                  EarlyS #798

Comment

probably worth a few seconds a lap too Jappy!!
                    Alex Webster
                    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

every one helps!!
                      MichaelJapp
                      71E
                      Typ901 #065
                      EarlyS #798

Comment

Thanks Jappy... although I think I'm going to be in Perth!

Paul, you're right ... I sat in Clyde's very briefly at Philip Island but was distracted by those annoying cars from the museum that were circulating! I really must get my priorities straight!
                        Justin Reed
                        aka Reedminor
                        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                        1961 356B #114700
                        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Working...
                        X