TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't stop... fast enough (brake question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't stop... fast enough (brake question)

I'm just back from Oran Park where I did the Peter Findlay 2 day drive school, including the lecture & test/s for a CAMS PC &/or rally license, which was a blast, heaps of driving & learning, & no damage to anything but brake pads & tyres.

Which leads to my question/problem. During the high speed braking excercises (100-140km/hr to stop) on a wet/damp track I was constantly getting a lock up on the front left (passenger) side, no pulling either way, ended up with a couple of small flat spots, (so probably not a rotor issue), still had control, drivers side was fine/normal, I had no issues on a dry track on the 1st day. I'm thinking that it may be a sticking caliper? or a weight/balance issue? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Jappy
    MichaelJapp
    71E
    Typ901 #065
    EarlyS #798

Sounds pretty similar to my car a few years back. I had S front calipers that constantly locked the left wheel before the right. I ended up spending a weekend rebuilding all four calipers, replacing fluid, machining rotors, and switching to Ferodo pads.

It turned out that my left front caliper was sticking as it took well over 100psi to pop one of the pistons out - I then realised that the diaphram had split and there was a little rust on the piston.

The change was immediate and dramatic. After 2 years of driving it how I bought it and never being confident on the middle pedal, I finally understood what people were saying about the early cars' handling and brakes!

Out of interest; four rebuild kits, fluid, machining, pads (and a couple of replacement hardlines I stripped) came in under $250
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

yep, what he said.

however, that said, next time you get a wheel balance you should also get them to corner weigh the car with your equivalent weight in the driver's seat. can't hurt.

Comment

ok, this is is good a time as any to ask the dumb question... what is corner weighting? presume it is checking the weight distribution between all 4 corners? but how do they adjust? stick lumps of metal under the bumpers like porsche did??

thanks!

rich

btw... you've just pointed out another thing to add to my growing list of things to do!!
        Richard Griffiths
        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Rich, yes & no, they/you evenly distribute the weight by "tweeking" the suspension - no lead weights involved.
          MichaelJapp
          71E
          Typ901 #065
          EarlyS #798

Comment

Jappy, glad to hear all went well...

The boys have said what I would have said. My little car since it had the brakes done is awesome under brakes, and I have removed the bias valve too, as it was causing a small leak that meant it was getting air in the system! Just have not got around to putting a new one on!

The corner balancing is a good idea, but some cars will be a nightmare to get perfect. However having the front evenly distributed will make the car handle nicely. It is harder for everything to match perfectly, but make sure it is done with you in the car or someone of similar weight.
            Alex Webster
            A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Working...
            X