Random Body Maintenance Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Body Maintenance Questions

OK a couple of queries for the concours brigade.

1. Does anyone use a product regularly on the dash and other interior plastic parts to keep them supple and avoid drying out. Something like Armor-all?

2. Also external rubbers and seals - any advice there?.

3. Also does anyone do any regular preventative treatment of body cavities - doors sills etc with a product like Waxoyl, which the Poms seem to swear by. Or do you think that is only necessary over there because they are driving a lot in the wet and on salted winter roads? I fish-oiled lots of places in my 70T which John Hoey now has, and it felt like good insurance at the time. Does it depend on the car? - ie an original car would be more susceptible to corrosion as it hasnt had a more contemporary protection system applied as part of a restoration. Maybe daily drivers that see plenty of wet days need more protection than weekend discretionary drivers?

I do think that the rising value of these cars makes it worthwhile to undertake judicious early prevention rather than later expensive correction.

Your advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Tony,

Have started using armour all on the new dash and trims for the reason above...makes it a bit too shiney for my liking at first but is dulls off in a couple of days.

Andrew

Comment

Hey guys,

Most of my mates and I up here use 303 ....

It's SO good I've stop using a number of other specific products for specific uses and just use the 303.

I use it straight on tough stuff .... but mostly at a 50% dilution with water.......

Find domain names, web hosting and online marketing for your website -- all in one place. Network Solutions helps businesses get online and grow online with domain name registration, web hosting and innovative online marketing services.

Hope this helps,
      Chuck Miller
      The Australian TYP 901 Register #062
      Early 911S Registry #109 - Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator
      R Gruppe #88

Comment

Wow just checked the link thank you Chuck - looks like a GREAT product.

Does anyone know if it is available down here? Sounds like it might be worth getting together a bulk order and importing some if not? Or is there an equivalent product available locally?

Thoughts?

Comment

Hi Tony

If you Google 303 Aerospace in Australia you'll find references - especially popular with boating people, it seems. Thanks Chuck.
          I tried some left over Meguiars Leather Groom Foam a while ago, but it gave the dash top a 'too bright' appearance, so 303 sounds like a good way to go.

Cheers, and thanks for the fish (oil)

John H
          John H

70 T

Comment

I use 303 here (on the few occasions that I really try to clean up my car and generally just B4 the summer heat starts to attack the interior I give it a protective cover)
            It is available here - cant remember where I got my last one but it would have been one of the autobarn type places.
            I think it is a fantasic product

i just used up the last bottle of it cleaning the car prior to "wedding duty" so will be on the lokout for more
            Hugh Hodges
            1973 E
            Australian TYP 901 Register #005
            Early 911S Register #776

Comment

FWIW I googled it and eventually found a marine supply place not far from me here in Brisbane...
              John Forcier
              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
              Restoration Saga
              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Cheers mates....

Just adding up the shrimp, good Aussi wine, and fast rides when I eventually get down there.........

Ta,
                Chuck Miller
                R Gruppe #88

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Miller View Post
                  Cheers mates....

Just adding up the shrimp, good Aussi wine, and fast rides when I eventually get down there.........

Ta,
                  hey Chuck

You have to stop talking and start acting :p

seriously you should plan to be here for phillip island and the GP next march
                  it is a great time to visit and a lot to see

who knows you might be the catalyst needed to get some people to come for a drive over the snowy mountains at that time
                  Hugh Hodges
                  1973 E
                  Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                  Early 911S Register #776

Comment

When I did the 303 Google search, I came across this site which has a very detailed list of what this person does for body maintenance. I haven't read it all, and probably won't, so take your own counsel on its recommendations. Certainly a pretty thorough checklist for a Holden

This is a discussion forum for the Australian Car Manufacturer General Motors Holden, primarily V8 based.

There are others around, some more Porsche specific - Fuchs etc.

If Chuck does come down here, maybe he can introduce 303 to the product line at Millers in Woods Point (see pic). I hope it didn't get burnt during the last bushfires up there. It would be a fun run and a half up to it - gravel, rocky roads last time I went.
                    Attached Files
                    John H

70 T

Comment

tony/ lads

303 is available thru the Auto 1 franchises. i use it but transfer the contents into a better quality spray bottle as their nozzle is crap.

externally i use meguires endurance on the tyres and deco/ over rider rubbers/ horn grilles and they come up a treat. on the paintwork again its meguires new tech wax designed for 2 pack applied with their foam polishing pad attached to my bosch random orbital sander/ polisher. spreads the wax evenly with no chance of burn thru, you really cant go wrong.

cheers
                      Craig
                      12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                      1972 2.4E Targa project
                      1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Very cool John ....
                        Chuck Miller
                        R Gruppe #88

Comment

Looks like Chucks pad in Hollywood Hills, LA,.................. not!!!!!

I have used Mequires polish for ages but not brave enough to put a pad on the drill just use their hand foam pads...I also use their tyre shine on the dash etc much less grease than armour all and no where near the shine. Also use the same product on the engine bay plastic like the MFI stacks etc do it with a small flat aint bush and in 1 hour after it settles looks brand new and it takes no time at all....unile toothbrushing the undercarriage of the 74' 2.7 Carrera which is still continuing!!!!!!!!!

Must get some 303 to compare.
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President
                          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I purchased the 303 Aerospace Protectant from Auto One in Brookvale this morning and tried it on the windscreen seal and dash. Fantastic - it took all the grime off the seal and it now looks like new. The dash has a nice rich/soft satiny look - not too shiny at all.

Thanks Chuck and all you other recommenders.

But no-one has anything to say about the Waxoyl question yet?

Clyde - what say you? And BTW how the hell do you get a paint brush in and around the stacks without pulling everything apart? Or do you only do ther bits that you can see?

tony

Comment

Working...
                            X