Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance

My comprehensive insurance came up for renewal last week and after some haggling I got my insurer to agree to a higher value. I have a limited use policy - 2-3 times a week, no business use, max 8000km pa. The premium of course is commensurately higher, and is now with increased values a pretty big chunk of $$$$. So once again I thought of switching to Club plates, despite the severe restrictions this places on use.

At the last minute I called the alternative insurer who has been advertising keenly to the classic market recently, for a quote. Well was I surprised. A knowledgable, bright, interested person readily offered me three options based on the same value I had extracted from my existing insurer

- usage as above,
    - 2-3 times/month, and
    - Clubplate registration.

The at-fault excess was significantly higher ($300 up to $1500), but personally I dont have a problem with that. The equivalent policy premium offered was almost HALF of that offered by my current insurer, and the two more restricted use policies were about 40% and 23% respectively of my existing premium.

So the moral of the story is it always pays to compare when your renewal comes up. I did the same thing two years ago and it was completely arse about!

If anyone wants to discuss pls call me on 0413 54533 or pm.

best regards
    Last edited by TonyC; 27-04-07, 06:27 PM.

Tony, there's a thread on the Aussie Pelican board where I discussed my adventures with insurance and getting my car insured to a higher value. I know a few others here chimed in. Basically I kept hammering them with opinion and some photos until I had a win

I'm one of those pesky people who ring all the companies every year and haggle... I reckon I've saved a bit over the years doing this. I must say that I've switched to Shannons of late and have been very happy - not so much with my agreed value (I still think it's a bit low), but I keep my wreck, the premium is quite good, and I get to break a windscreen every year!
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

John

Couldnt agree more. I am advised that the wreck-keeping clause applies only to cars over 35 years old, and apparently they add it to your policy on the first renewal AFTER the car passes 35 years from its build date. So that makes the 73 cars the only ones not yet over the line, otherwise all the early cars have this option. Until then you get first option to purchase the wreck.

Comment

I didn't realise that's how it worked, cool. I consider the my 911 fairly valuable - even wrecked, as short of a fire, there's lots of good bits all over it that a hit would't necessarily damage; so I'd want it back!

I think insurance in general has gotten a bit better. I've recently had a look around at two wheels again. I stopped riding about 8 years ago - I had insurance on my bikes then, but it was hard to get (you had to earn the right) and expensive. Now I see a few of the bigger insurers offer bike insurance and they include cover on the apparel that enevitably gets wrecked in a spill (I used to wear 4k work of gear!)
        John Forcier
        Restoration Saga

Comment

I believe I will have one very big headache in that area shortly so I assume Mr Sahnnon was where you went also Tony.

I am about to start chasing insurance for a 73 911 RS for 300k plus, how do you think they will take to that and will I be able to afford it????
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President
          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Thought I'd resurrect this thread with my experience this morning at Shannons.

Dropped in to have them look at my car, which was hugely under insured. After poking around inside and out ,they doubled (230%) the insured value without a qualm. After dropping down the usage to reflect the amount of use the car gets my premium when up by a grand total of $1.30 per month. Not a bad morning's work.

Cheers
            Paul Wischer
            1969 911T
            1979 Californian Moke
            TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Another vote for Shannons - they have been great so far, reasonably priced, with agreed value, lets me drive my car whenever, and great with communication.

Comment

Yep, so far I'm very happy with Shannons. Has anyone had to claim? Like all insurance; it's all good until time comes to pay...
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                  Yep, so far I'm very happy with Shannons. Has anyone had to claim? Like all insurance; it's all good until time comes to pay...
                  I have - check out my thread about my experience - made a claim on Day One with them when someone pranged me in the back the first day I picked my car up. LOL! Shannons was excellent - no problems, covered everything, wasn't my fault so it went fine.

Comment

I've had numerous cars insured with Shannons over the last 20 years, with several claims (only one my fault, but it was a big'en). Always found them easy to get along with.
                    Paul Wischer
                    1969 911T
                    1979 Californian Moke
                    TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Guys,

Before you sign up check out GIO classic..even with a big hike in agreed value on my car they were still ahead of shannons by a LONG way.

Hippo

Comment

Working...
                      X