Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 911 induction is complete!!

Well it was only a matter if time.....

After a stint at the golf driving range last night, feeling good about the driver and long irons (ripping them well and all pumped up), I was finally introduced into the physics of the 40/60 weight distribution, yes I turned the bad girl around.

I approached a nice little right hander, completed all my braking prior to the corner and then stuck the boot in to feel the G's these cars are capable of.... Whoa, The corner had a slight off camber to the gutter, very smooth and the conditions were warm (So were my tyres I thought!!).

It started to lose with a small sound, I continued to stick the boot in (Lisa I did not let it scare me,,,,) then round she went. All OK, but an interesting ride non the less. It was a force Luke Skywalker would have struggled with, let me tell you. And you feel like half way through you needed the force to survive...

I had also juts filled her up, so some of the 98 Octane with the Spyder in there made a splash through the overflow, coming up the windscreen, fantastic piece of theatrics to go with the sound. (Had the hand on the extinguisher - dont know why but just in case)

So the synopsis is,

1/ Off camber be careful.
    2/ Continue to place the boot in,
    3/ Professional track drive day should have been a little earlier.
    4/ potentially check the suspension set up. (I do need sways at some point which will prompt the other changes)
    5/ Be a little careful with the 911 faith....

Cheers

Shane (SIR SPIN!)

Ps some lovely fellow also backed into the front of my car with force on Friday night, bending the over riders and bonnet quite badly, looks like a new year panel job!! -

OK Shane, now you have your car a bit beaten up with some battle scars, and have also experienced the sideways phenomenon, just turn it into a rally car and drive the hell out of it.

I thought you were going to blame the golf clubs in the rear seat for the unexpected weight transfer.

And did you get the lovely fellows number ?

Are your overiders shot or repairable. I might be able to help you out with a set if they are too far gone.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Shane congratulations as you are no longer a 911 virgin you have now experienced what most of us eventually will! The bite of the rear engine weight bias. Now you will be able to appreciate the value of a well set up suspension. I'm sure the two of you Will also communicate better after this little Miss-hap. Hope the damage isn't too bad.

Comment

Phil, The battle cars are really only emotional, the rally car option sounds like a plan that will require a massive business plan and sign off through the appropriate channels.... Ie the my better half and money manager...

The fellow who hit me has already admitted liability and a claim number is recorded. I insure through Shannon's and they basically said get it to a repairer and they'll handle the rest. No loss of bonus and no excess due to the admission of the other party. I think the over riders are salvageable, however they may need new rubber. In any case I may take you up on the offer once I understand more around the repair.

Mike, yes the cherry has been broken!!!! but we are still on speaking terms and communicating well now, just a little more cautiously. As an aside I also checked the tyre pressure yesterday and it was well down (25 psi) which I guess wouldn't have help the situation, although others may say different. (tread is still 70%)

Cheers

Ps BTW (All including the 'Terminator!) has my tee shirt arrived with the goodie bag ????

Comment

Working...
        X