Value of gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Value of gearbox

Any thoughts on the value of a 5 sp mag cased 915 gearbox? In good working condition, without any known issues. Throw your thoughts out there.

PS. Before Mr Upwey chimes in I know it's worth "what someone will pay at the time"!!!
    MichaelJapp
    71E
    Typ901 #065
    EarlyS #798

Jappy

To buy one in poor condition, expect to pay about $1000-$1500 then spend about $6000 to have it restored.
    One in reasonable/good condition pay about $2500 - $3000.

However, if selling advertise it for $4000-$5000 whether it's good or crappy - and then let the market determine the correct price.

.............BTW, although it's hard to believe, I'm no expert.
    Peter Williams #049
    Secretary TYP901
    1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

I paid $2500 for my circa '83 aluminium 915 with unknown history... I know it's not quite apples and apples.
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

$3500-$4000

Comment

Jappy

Do you know what the ratios of the 915 box are? Just a thought that you probably don't want to get anything with taller ratios than you have now (I would assume?) Otherwise you might be up for a re-gear and more $$$

Cheers
          Cam Arnott
          Looking for engine #6208151
          1970 911E (Sold)
          '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
          2 x Split Screen Kombis
          TYP 901 Register # 78
          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

I'll send him my gearsheet that I made up on Excel (or stole from other people and enchanced!!) as that has all the 915 and 901 ratios... now you just have to work out what is in there!!!
            Alex Webster
            A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

mike,

working out the gears is pretty easy to do with the g/b in the car. i did my906 by yelling revs and speeds to kao (2 readings per gear). when i later got the gear chart from the previous owner i was out one tooth on 5th gear only.

also, as alex said, we can help you work out a good gearset for the new box pretty easily. (just done this for my RS clone)

Comment

Working...
              X