Some Photos from the Suncoast Rally this Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Photos from the Suncoast Rally this Weekend

One of the lads from Qld P-Club sent me his photos from the weekend... Thanks Fossie!

I think the silver one looks great with the lime stripes, and is one of the yellow ones your's John Walker?
    Attached Files
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Wish I was there.....

Bring on the Classic Adelaide!!

Thanks for sharing John
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

i've heard a few less-than-complimentary reviews of the event overall. it will be interesting to see if they get to run another.

Comment

I'll be speaking to a few enterants tonight and I'll get the low-down on event management.
        John Forcier
        Restoration Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
          I'll be speaking to a few enterants tonight and I'll get the low-down on event management.
          Hi John, Yes, #402 is mine on its first outing after a complete rebuild. There were times I regretted keeping the engine as standard 911T as I would have loved a few more horses on the uphill sections but downhill it flew! A good workout before Classic Adelaide in November.
          Ryan, the event overall was quite good and certainly better than I feared. There was considerable local resistance to the event by some who considered us equivalent to environmental vandals eg. one stage required organizers to door-knock 90 properties to have them agree to have their access road closed to permit a bunch of strangers to tear past their homes at considerable speed. To get the event up at all was an achievement but given that it was organised by those who run Classic Adelaide, communication of changes to the event could have been handled much better. One valid criticism would be that the distance driven in special stages was too short given the duration of the event and the entry fee. As the cost of entry continues to escalate, competitors will continue to look critically at distance of closed road stages per dollar of entry fee. Having done Targa Tasmania and Classic Adelaide before, this wasn't as good but it was a great first effort and should have more support next year.
          Regards
          John

Comment

john

firstly, congrats on your result.

the main criticisms i have heard are the high cost (especially given how the event ended up being under 3 days long) and that the roads were very rough and not all that bendy. a lack of bends means lots of chicane/speed zones - to keep the ave speeds under the limits - great for a big V8 but not fun in a porsche/rotary/4 cyl etc (anything lacking torque/acc'n)

i'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the road surface/stage length etc?

i find most CA stages quite short compared to TT but almost all of them all full of curves.

ps. we're heading back to CA this year - can't wait!

Comment

Ryan, both criticisms are valid. In getting a new rally off the ground and considering the shortened event, usual commercial practice would suggest offering entry at a discount to attract numbers rather that start with a $7000 entry fee and subsequently offer $500 refund after several stages were deleted from the event. Nevertheless it was fun and worth participating. Length of special stages? Yes, too few and too short. I know they can't all be like Mt. Arrowsmith in Tasmania (42km if I remember correctly) but some stages at Noosa were very short. Rough road surface? Yes but only on 2 stages was that particularly noticeable. To be taking a 9-left at speed on rough road and have my little car leap a metre towards the outside edge certainly attracts your attention. I would rate the roads as challenging rather than dangerous or unreasonably hard on the cars. The drivers of the very low moderns may have a different opinion.
              I am sure the organisers are aware of the event's shortcomings and know that if exactly the same event is offered next year without these problems rectified, there won't be the repeat business they would be hoping for.
              I look forward to meeting you in Adelaide - and with your 2.7RS, I'll be the diminishing yellow speck in your rear view mirror.
              Cheers

Comment

John, well done. See you at Classic Adelaide, think we need another 901 dinner!!!

I too like Ryan was really shocked at the entry fee, especially considering getting the car there, & accomodation etc. Let's hope that it works out better for next year.
                Alex Webster
                A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Anyone chasing a crew for Adelaide? I reckon I'd be a crap navigator, and I'm no wheelman; but I turn spanners pretty well
                  John Forcier
                  Restoration Saga

Comment

john w - thanks for the feedback. my 1st rally event was the 2nd east coast classic rally. it was killed off after yr 3 i think. i hope QLD doesn't suffer the same fate as it was neat to have a 'home' rally.

john f - you should pop over to adelaide for the weekend. lots of good food and BS'ing in the evening (hopefully little spanner twirling...) and we'll certainly be able to hook you up with a crew to get you around thru the day. justin and shane came down last year and had a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by OBRUT View Post
                      john w - thanks for the feedback. my 1st rally event was the 2nd east coast classic rally. it was killed off after yr 3 i think. i hope QLD doesn't suffer the same fate as it was neat to have a 'home' rally.

john f - you should pop over to adelaide for the weekend. lots of good food and BS'ing in the evening (hopefully little spanner twirling...) and we'll certainly be able to hook you up with a crew to get you around thru the day. justin and shane came down last year and had a blast.
                      John

What Ryan said.

I'm hoping to get down there again this year and would certainly appreciate someone 'floating' if any twirling needs to be done..!
                      Cam Arnott
                      1970 911E (Sold)
                      2 x Split Screen Kombis
                      TYP 901 Register # 78
                      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Talked to a few of the guys last night at our club meeting. Overall they were very happy with it, but were concerned that it made a significant loss (rumored to be 100k), but apparently that is generally expected of new events until the events 'take off'.

There was significant resistance from some locals and one staged had to be stopped after a 'greenie' ran onto the track during a stage. Sounds like they needed to schmooze the locals a little more...

So with Adelaide; how does that work? Do I coordinate with anyone, what does cost, etc...
                        John Forcier
                        Restoration Saga

Comment

> So with Adelaide; how does that work? Do I coordinate with anyone, what
                          > does cost, etc...

easy, book some accom in the city (the rally is based at the hilton), turn up, ring cam, alex or me - nobody will be far away.

i'd aim to get there fri arvo/night - we'll all be there from tuesday to monday.

i'm sure we can find a crew vehicle with a spare seat to take you around through the days.

Comment

John,

I'd thoroughly recommend the Classi Adeliade. I spectated last year, arrived on the Wedsnesday night from memory...

Last year there was a number of museum cars there... to see the 908/2 driving up the main street of Adelaide one morning and then to hear it later in the week as it was driven tho the dealer 10k's out of town was quite surreal and very special.

I drove a few of the Autohaus boys around who were supporting several cars (Bill Pye, Terry Lawlor, the Cunninghams in my old Carrera 3, and the Taylors to name a few). Work had loaned me a press car ( a SWB Carnival) and I drove while the other guys navigated...

If you want to spectate it pays to plan ahead... you can wing it... but research ahead, speak to as many locals as you can as to where the best spots are, and pick areas you can get out of quickly (if you are in a closed stage you go nowhere until the road is re-opened.

I had some great dinners with the competitors and stayed at the Rydges on the southern edge of the city... I'd walk up to the Hilton each day, and dined each night on Gouger Street...

I'd consider it again... but have committed myself to GOR Porsche event this year... Anybody else entered an early car or will I be a lone early car amongst a sea of GT3's?
                            Justin Reed
                            aka Reedminor
                            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                            1961 356B #114700
                            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

John

Being an ex. Adelaidean...( nice roads but wouldn't want to live there!) I'm happy to be of help in planning if I can. Drop me a line if you need or mobile 044 888 2399.

Also do a search as there was a good thread on this last year IIRC

Cheers
                              Cam Arnott
                              1970 911E (Sold)
                              2 x Split Screen Kombis
                              TYP 901 Register # 78
                              Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Working...
                              X