- lsd

It's a UK delivery to Yorkshire before being
    imported to Australia.
    Attached Files
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Wow, how did we miss this...

Comment

Very interesting story starting to emerge about this car...

and yes, I cannot believe no-one saw it although there was an earlier post asking about this VIN number.
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

I spoke at length some time ago with the owner, and posted the vin here - the conclusion was it's definitely not an S. The owner still wanted around $25K from memory - I offered $12K! I'm assuming this is the same car - sure looks like it. It was in Canberra from memory..

Craig H
        Last edited by Earlysport; 01-08-07, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Here are some more comments re the VIN form teh current owner (posted on the early S site):

"Me too, it's not so exciting but since you asked...

I found an ad on an obscure but free website for Porsche cars and bits
          http://www.porshads.com.au.

It was listed as a 1966 911S, since 1967 was the first year of
          S production something was fishy. I emailed the guy and asked about
          the car, he didn't seem to really know what it was but said that somebody
          else who had looked at the car told him it wasn't an S and we left it
          at that. I wasn't specifically looking for an S but the price he had on
          it was too high for a normal with rust issues.

Some weeks later he emailed me with some pictures, including the
          aluminium id plate. In the top left corner it said "911S". Some people
          have claimed that the chassis number should read XXXXXXS but as
          we've seen here recently there were variations and the plates were
          stamped both ways. This plate was stamped with just the chassis
          number with no S appended, just 308032.

I rang Porsche Australia who were able to lookup the build sheet and
          confirmed the numbers matched and gave me the options list. Most
          helpful. Since I'm in Chile for the year I asked my brother in law who
          is an insurance assessor and trained as a panel beater to check out
          the rust for me and when he confirmed that it was repairable I bought
          the car.

The history of the car is a bit murky, the PO says he that he's had it
          laid up for 15 years. It's a UK delivery to Yorkshire before being
          imported to Australia.

If there's anyone about who remembers this car from Yorkshire 20+
          years ago or could help trace the original owners I'd appreciate the
          assistance. Maybe we can track down the tool kit!

andy __________________
          67S 308032S/961687 in storage"

Actually, there are some 66 "S' cars around. Here is a pic of one in the UK. These are considered the rarest of early 911S's. This car was recently featured in 911 & Porsche world.

Interesting to continue this discussion and see if some more details of this car may emerge.
          Attached Files
          sigpicPhil Lack
          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

My car is a 66S build. I remember someone asking me about it being a 66 build! Mine is a 307***S number which falls within the 66 build year. I like many thought that they were all made in 67 but clearly not!

Spoke with the guy who bought it, as there are very few original RHD 66/67S's around. My car was delivered to Malaysia originally, but not with all those cool parts that his had! Very jealous!
            Alex Webster
            A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Would it be right that Porsche Cars Australia would confirm the numbers for a non-Australian delivered car? he mentions it was a UK delivery? Just to play devils advocate, it would be in the new owners interest that this car is an S right?...

Below I have copied my original correspondance with the seller FYI.

----------------------------

I found the no it is what I had listed. Looks like I was conned 30 years ago.
              David
              -----Original Message-----

It should be ( looking from the back ) on the right hand side of the fan housing, down low near the tinwork. The engine number you gave me before matches up – I can’t determine if it’s original to that car or not, but it matches as a 65-67 engine, non S.

Regards,

Craig H

Honestly David my biggest concern is that the car may be un-restorable due to rust.

I’d need to see the car, but I don’t think I could offer you more than about $12K.

If the car was a genuine S, I’d be willing to offer more. I understand you obviously want to get as much as you can for the car. Just keep my offer in mind and in the meantime I’ll continue looking at other cars.

Thanks,

Craig H

Thanks for your research. I wont sell this car for peanuts even as it is. I will offer it on Carsales next. You can make an offer though. The rusting is not minor though.
              Regards
              David

Thanks for the pics David.

I have been able to confirm that the car is definitely not a factory 911S, and is a more garden variety 911.
              With that in mind, and a realistic fully restored value around $45K, I couldn’t entertain paying $25K for your car, even if the rust was minor.
              An engine rebuild alone is in excess of $15K, bodywork with no rust repair $10K, and then gearbox rebuild, interior, etc.

How keen are you to sell this car ?

Craig H

Dear Craig
              I cant find the loc of the engine no. A few more things to note. Car has 2 new mudguards from an earlier repair. Car has 90 litre long range fuel tank and LSD (according to the seller to me). I used to be able to drive Melb to Sydney on one tank but this is nothing now. I have a Diesel Peugeot that does same trip RETURN on 80 litres.
              Regards
              David

Dear Craig
              I confirm the 308032. I bought the car in 1976 & and have had it since. The car itself is labelled 911S. From what you have shown it appears not to be an S originally. Ill find the engine no myself when it cools off. 40degC today. The motor appears to behave like a n S with its peaky torque curve. I put smaller venturis in it , originally had large venturis. Improved mid range torque amazingly. It may have had a time racing synchro in second not so good.
              Regards
              David

Thanks David.

Reading from your pictures, the VIN appears to be 308032. This should also be found on the A pillar, just inside the windscreen. Can you confirm if this is the correct number ? The VIN number seems to indicate a non-S 67 Coupe. Do you know if the engine is the original ? Going by the below chart the engine number you have quoted seems hard to identify..

Did you do much research regarding this car before you purchased it ?

Thanks for your assistance, and any more information you can give me. Let me assure you I am a serious buyer.

Thanks,

Craig H

Dear Craig
              This is one of the early 911s. I had plans to restore it myself but have lost interest. Id rather have a more modern car. It is ex UK. Engine no 961687. I dont know about the VIN.
              Regards
              David Sharpe

Hi,

I’m interested in the 66 911 you have advertised on Porshads.
              Do you have any pics you can email me ?
              Can you please supply the VIN number and engine number too ?
              Is this an Australian delivered car ?
              Thanks,

Craig Handley

Comment

> Would it be right that Porsche Cars Australia would confirm the numbers for a non-Australian delivered car? he mentions it was a UK delivery?

i don't know about the yellow '66 car, but PCA was able to provide me with a certificate confirming the vin, original engine no, options and colour of an UK-delivered 73E that i found in NZ and brought to australia.

Comment

you can normally get the build sheet - generally in German, and that shows where it was delivered to etc.

Certainly the info that Craig had found out from the seller means that it could raise some questions about the car. I hope it is what the guy thought he was buying, as it is a really interesting rare car! Otherwise it could be a normal that had been up spec'd and used for rally purposes... there has to be someone in the UK or here that knows more... Anyone got a magnifying glass, trenchcoat, and someone called Watson?!
                  Alex Webster

Comment

I beleive PCA can give you details on any car if you give them the VIN. I presume they just look up the factory database and if the car happens to be Aussie delivered, this is confirmed.

Sounds like this yellow car was quite rusty and could have a questionable history ?

Time will tell......
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

I think the pics showed that it was quite rusty!
                      Alex Webster

Comment

Working...
                      X