X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ride Day

Guess I'm first one home.
    Our blast today was a big success. We had 8 cars which included THE RS,
    a 356,a 912,a brand new Boxster and usual typ 901 cars. Alex had plotted us a fantastic course which was mainly on back roads with some awesome series of bends and sweepers. The norm was to fang it through a twisty section and then pull over to relive it, swap passengers, drivers and cars. Drove Clyde's RS and got some feed back on how to improve my car. Its amazing the different handling and feel to each car.
    Richard and Costa got to ride and even drive various cars and it was good to see them along. Hopefully it will make deciding to take the plunge into car ownership easier. Although I think Richard was getting slightly swayed towards Alex's 356 (or Clyde's RS).
    Thanks for a fantastic morning Guys. Will look forward to reading your comments.

Yes it was great, should be mandatory Saturday morning tour 52 weeks a year!

Brett, your car goes fine but those shocks should be ditched immediately, I think, before you and the trees become acquainted.

My car needs a better steering wheel, I like the feel of Phils prototipo after driving his car this morning.

Mike the suspension setup is definately a plus, thank god, it feels really balanced and stable now.

Phil get those trial seats ready as I didn't really enjoy mine after sitting in yours, besides I can save a 50kg or so maybe I can catch that bloody 356 Alex was driving!!!

I enjoyed driving Peter Williams 71T its certainly a contrast hope mine goes like that and I will be happy, also got to steer Marcus Tangerine 2.7 sleeper. Heaps of grunt but you need to be Arnie to steer the bloody thing Marcus, steering response on all cars was similar except yours.

I think Richard will have just about bored his wife silly by now talking non stop for 2 hours about how he must have that 2.4E Coupe left or right hand drive.

Richard commented he felt comfortable driving a LHD and I think that is part of the problem people never get the chance and hence dismiss it as an option however we all know that good cars can be had for much cheaper in the states but they are LHD. Cheaper way to get into a great car is how I see it.

Thanks to everyone for letting me drive their cars it was great hope Richard and Costa think the day was useful. Thanks for all the feedback on the RS its good to get other peoples ideas on whats good and bad.

I feel certain any new member would happily pay their $75 membership if all they ever got was three hours worth of fun like these guys had this morrning.

Anyone for next Sunday.......race you to the North Pole Santa!!!
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Pics of the day with us at one of the many quick stops we had for driver and car changes.

I see KYJ had slipped away again!!!
      Attached Files
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President

Comment

And more, Marcus in charge at speed following the road signs dilligently and one ring in also, Matthew in his new 2005 Boxter...nice looking car too.
        Attached Files
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President

Comment

And finally at morning tea at some farm somewhere. Peter Williams suggestion, see him for its name.
          Attached Files
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President

Comment

Ride day Rocks

Well I do believe the intended goal of the day was well and truly met. And not only did a coupe of "lookers" get to ride and drive in a variety of cars, several other members swapped cars to experience different engines and suspension setups.

Afterwards at coffee and muffins at the Farm Cafe, the general consensus was lets do this more often.

I agree with Clyde in that these 3 hours driving was worth the annual membership fee alone. I am sure Rich is madly composing his response to the mornings fun and I a sure both he and Costa have gone away with a lot more understanding of what to start seriously looking for in an early 911.

I think we also started to dispel the myth of LHD cars and Clyde says Rich now cannot see what all the fuss is about after an hour driving the RS.. I think a new thread will start discussing the pros and cons of LHD cars.

Thanks again Alex for revealing this great run to more members. I think the next time we do this run, we will have installed brake markers at some of the "interesting" corners.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

We don't need brake markers Phil, just look for the skid marks from the late braking. I left some rubber on one of those corners.

Big eye opener for me re suspension set up after driving Clyde's car. Although at the Nats run, Mike did mention my car wallowed round corners like a pig in mud. Needed to experience a tight car to realise it.
              Suspension has been added to the list.

Comment

No good me posting my photos - Clyde followed me around and took the same shots as I was taking.
                The lessons I have learned-
                1. I need sway bars - and then rather than just being good I would be awesome! (just kidding)
                2. I need new seats (the back support my old standard drivers seat tended to slip back a notch under pressure - bent arms to straight in a flash)
                3. I want an RS (RHD preferable - and white with blue script and wheels). Thanks for the opportunity Clyde - the best car I have ever been in!!
                4. When travelling to Phillip Island that is by far the best route between the Gurdies and Glen Forbes. (50km vs 10km direct)
                5. Caldermeade Farm has good coffee and great muffins (and nice eggs benedict Marcus?)- well worth a stop if travelling down the Sth Gippy Hwy - just before Lang Lang.
                6. Phil as always is the consumate salesman - ask him about his 'salt and pepper shakers'
                7. This is a great little car club

Thanks Alex, if it wasn't for you threatening to call me a piker I may have missed a great drive. Did that blonde jogger really flash her t--t- at you Marcus? That's teeth, Clyde!!
                Peter Williams #049
                Secretary TYP901
                1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

I am actually impressed Peter that you stay as close to us as you do with the set up you have.

You must be a mighty fine driver.

No worries about driving the car my car was improved because Phil drove it and bagged the **** out of the handling but in a nice way.

I think we could all benefit from improving the handling of our cars so we can not only drive more on the limit but more safely on the limit.

Thats ceratinly the aim I have.
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President

Comment

Suspension

Clyde, there is no doubt the handling of the RS has improved no end and it now feels more like the car it was designed to be. everyone who drove it said it feel very firm and tight and I certainly noticed how much more confident felt about its handling.

I wouldn't say I had bagged it that badly but it was in need of some new suspension bushes no doubt and you obviously noticed the difference too.

I would say the handling was probably the main topic of conversation that emerged out of all the car swapping that went on yesterday and this is definitely one of the areas that old Porsches suffer from when rubber bushes go hard or have worn badly. Plus many cars seem to be on very old and tired shockers so I guess that guy on ebay with the Bilsteins is in for a flurry of activity.

Those who drove the RS yesterday were probably treated to the feeling of how a new suspension setup should feel. And I have to say Clyde, how magnanimous you were in allowing people to drive your pride and joy and experience something quite rare in early Porsche circles - driving a real RS.

Rich, are you now considering selling the new house and buying an RS ? If you lay the seats back, you an actually sleep in it too.

There is no doubt, yesterdays run epitomised the camaraderie and enjoyment that I has always thought would become the essence of this club. Peter Williams comments said it all.
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

I agree with Clyde in that Peter sure was driving his 2.2T well yesterday and we sat behind him watching some on the limit cornering of the old girl.

As I commented at coffee afterwards, it appeared the rear shocks had gone soft as it bounced a bit on the freeway going home when it hit any undulation in the road leading me to believe the rears just weren't doing the job.

I also searched eBay last night for sway bars and there seems to be plenty available, plus members should consider the wreckers around to find a thru the body front sway bar which is easy to fit. And its factory correct too !

I was great for guys like Rich to be able to step from a 2.4 E into a 2.2T, then a 2.7 to experience the difference in these models. All commented that this really helped in their understanding of different model years in the early 911 range.
                      sigpicPhil Lack
                      R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

A call to our sponsors, Aporschapart, will probably turn up plenty of sway bars and the associated hardware.

Speed is one thing staying on the road is another and no doubt a better handling car will keep up with a quicker car.

I want both!!!!
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President

Comment

Videos

Hi guys,

glad you all enjoyed the run yesterday... I will endeavor to get some more runs that are equally challenging, fun, and traffic free when i get some spare time in January... the find (or hunt) is always the best!

I am sure that we all learned a lot about our cars, and each others yesterday and as quite rightly said, there is so much difference between all our cars. I would be keen to bring our RS next time to allow Clyde and I to swap and compare. I think he may have a tad more HP due to a recent rebuild, and slightly better rubber.

The 356 went a treat, did not miss a beat all day, but geez, I had to drive the t*ts off it to keep up with you guys. I'm just glad I could keep up! Thanks John G for the great motor (Lisa and Mike also) as it really performed so well.

Got some great video or following Phil and Brett. I have found another way to get the video at a higher quality, but it means I have to invest in a DVD Birner that has AV input jacks and can be hooked up to my TV - SANTA?!?!?!!?

I drive Marcus's car on the way home, and Clyde I agree the steering is heavy but only in RH corners... one that is sorted, some good seats, and a front sway bar with some negative camber on the front, she will be a goer, it had plenty of poke, but it had the gremlin 5000rpm break down again - damn it!!

Would be up for this coming weekend but I am away, lets make it a regular thing for those that want to... saw once a month??

Alex *still grinning*
                          Alex Webster
                          A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

If you can find the drives I am in!!!
                            Clyde Boyer
                            TYP 901 Register Inc.
                            President

Comment

Alex,

you drove that little 356 very well and boy did it look like it handles superbly as we chased you through many of those great corners.

And it was no slouch either except on the longer uphill bits. It certainly seems to be a well sorted out car.

seems like we might need to have a Suspension 101 class for whoever is interested to see what options they have for their cars and what ride improvements they can expect.

I agree with Clyde in that Aporschapart needs to post what sway bars etc they might have available to bolt onto those cars that came sans sway bars from the factory.

Maybe we can have a bit of a more controlled environment for testing handling such as a Mangalore airport day through the witches hats or something similar ???

Comments please.
                              Phil Lack
                              GTS Classics - proud TYP901 Forum SPONSORS
                              PH: 03 9460 4000 FAX: 03 9460 4011
                              Exclusive Distributors :
                              'BF Torino' Seats, 'Rennshifter' sports shift, Spektr lightweight polycarb glass replacement, Autos International interiors.
                              WEB: www.gtsclassics.com.au

Comment

Working...
                              X