Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

numbers

Hi all,

anybody out there know about the large handwritten numbers (in yellow) on the chassis under the dashpad on passanger side. Do they relate to any other numbers on a car?

cheers,

John

John

I believe they do relate to the VIN for the car but not exactly sure how it ties in.....What numbers do you have?
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

John,
      Lot of information about this on the Early S site. If I can remember right, it is your VIN number that gets scrawled on the car when it's getting built.
      I'm sure some one will chime in with the right information.

Comment

from memory it is an internal production number. the porsche factory (and a few individuals) have a master list that allows you to cross reference the number with the VIN.

i think you can give the factory both numbers they will verify whether or not they match - e.g. to confirm your car is what it purports to be. however, if you give them one number they will not provide the other for obvious reasons.

Comment

thanks guys for your collective insight. I'm very slowly pulling the car apart, and when I stumble upon little things, like these, obviously handwritten numbers, I get a little exited and curious. I am not looking for affirmation of it being what it purports to be ,there is nothing to suggest it isn't. I don't want to find out I had inadvertently accquired an 'E' or S' for 'T' money

trying to include pic of the dash number

cheers,

John
          Attached Files

Comment

production number

Hi john

as Ryan says that is a "production number" It should also be stamped into the lower part of your dash , about under the radio, and is visible when you take the knee pad off the dash.

prior to 1969 it was the same as the chassis number but from 1969 on a new system was introduced that can only be decoded by the factory and then only if you give both numbers to them.

It is the number of the type of car in a particular year by "job order" onto the production line - not including engine variations.
            so 1 is 911 the 0 for coupe, 1 for targa, (and i think from memory 2 for karmann) then the year number 9 for 69and 0 for 70 etc then there is a four number series that shows the consecutive number of each of that type of car in the order the orders were sent to the production line - not the order they got their vin number and not the order they got finished.

I cant read yours well. It looked like 100 0023 ??
            that would make it a 1970 coupe made by porsche and the 23rd of all types made in the 1970 model year - meaning it wa probably made in about september 1969
            Hugh Hodges
            1973 E
            Australian TYP 901 Register #005
            Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hugh

I removed the knee pad off the dash, where you said, and what do you know...there I found #100 0023 stamped into it.
              So the car was 23rd of about 15000 for 1970 model year.
              Would you, or anyone for that matter, have access to information how early in the model run RHD cars would have commenced.
              Thanks for the info so far
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John S View Post
                Hugh

Would you, or anyone for that matter, have access to information how early in the model run RHD cars would have commenced.
                Thanks for the info so far
                I dont think that info is available...........but i would say "not that early"
                Hugh Hodges
                1973 E
                Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                Early 911S Register #776

Comment

thanks Hugh

Comment

Working...
                  X