Is this car converted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this car converted?

Looks like it to me - it's a 68 911T. I'm getting surprised at how many converted cars are out there!
    Attached Files

to be sure you would have to check the smugglers box. Maybe others might be able to pick it, but the dash could have been replaced at some point if it was cracked
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Looks like the conversion that was done on my (and previously Ryans) Viper Green '70T Targa - chop the dash in half and swap sides (see the headlight pull switch on the wrong side of the steering wheel - although I could be completely wrong if the '68s had them there!).

Cheers,

Ash

Comment

I assume a 68 had the regular sliding heater controls, that are not in this car. There is some kind of weird control under the gauges. Also the lack of ashtray, and position of lighter seem strange. I have attached another pic. I also beleive that only US cars came with these large headlight surrounds?

I don't really want to bother looking at the car if it is a left to right conversion, even though it's cheap!
        Attached Files

Comment

If its that cheap maybe its worth converting back?
          Craig
          12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
          1972 2.4E Targa project
          1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

do you have an under bonnet pic?

Comment

the knob on the left of the steering wheel is a cigarette lighter by the looks of it, next to the ash tray..

My Aussie delivered 68 911L has the same type of dash, but with a black textured strip in place of the aluminium.

The lever below the the oil temp / fuel guages is a fresh air ventilation lever. The heater is operated by a lever between the seats behind the handbrake and adjacent to the hand throttle.

If you had a picture of underneath the front that would confirm if the car had been converted, as Ryan and Alex have indicated.
              Justin Reed
              aka Reedminor
              1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
              1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
              1961 356B #114700
              Instagram: reedminor

Comment

The 'sugar scoop' headlights are a bit of a give-away. Should have H1's...
                John Forcier
                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                Restoration Saga
                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

I am with John on that one
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President
                  Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I confirmed with Porsche Cars Australia that this car was an Aussie delivered 68T. Totally original but with some visible surface ( maybe deeper ) rust on the headlight buckets and rockers. The engine is also in need of a rebuild. It sold on the weekend for $18K. It was in Canberra.

I probably should have bought it and stored it away, but I'm about to buy an E and 4 Porsche's would be too many! Seems to me values are all over the place... I'm really wondering if any of the higher priced cars ( like at Classic Throttle Shop etc ) are actually selling...

Comment

That would have made a solid restorer at 18k if it only has surface rust... Or even better, a nice swb 'R'eplica!
                      John Forcier
                      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                      Restoration Saga
                      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Working...
                      X