GTS Classic seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTS Classic seats

OK Phil here is your chance I have decided that to continue to improve the way I can drive the RS I need some better seats for more stability.

Which ones for me and why. Don't care if the tilt or not as no one ever gets in the back of the RS anyway.

I can go to the web site but I want YOUR opinion.

Oh yeah I don't want a harness though at this stage.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Apparently Phil custom fits which requires him coming around to take an inside thigh measurement amongst others.
    You may have difficulty obtaining a LHD drivers seat as I believe he only stocks passenger seats for that side.

Actually am interested in Phils answer also because those arm chairs of mine are like my suspension, soft and bouncy.

Comment

No argument form me there either Brett aftyer driving your car today.

Interetsing isn't it not once has the discussion centred around not going fast enougth its all about having a better handling car I know that what I am working on. Stiffer torion bars next I think.
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President

Comment

test Drive a GTS Classic seat.

Guys, I have been thinking about a test drive program for the seats where I have a couple of models set aside for testing. They are reasonably easy to fit and I would guess we just do the drivers seat to get the feel.

I have to think about how this will work and how long you get to play with a seat to decide if it works for you.

You do have to decide if you want access to the rear seats as the fixed back seats don't really allow for this unless you get the tilting frame (and I think this is messy).

Clyde, for the RS, I would think you need the Rallye ST since you are generating some pretty good cornering forces with the way the car is set up. This seat holds you very well and has the option for full harness at a later date . Brett, for yr car, you may want the Nurburgring which allows better entry and egress to the car but still provides good hip support.

JD can probably chime in here about his recliners which are very similar in design to the recaro factory Sport seat, but I think give better support in the hips and lower back - but its all a matter of personal choice, hence the idea to have a demo program before you make the choice.

I also think its a good idea to mothball your original seats so if & when you want to sell the car, the original seats are still available.

I drove my 72E targa about 2000 miles in the USA recently sitting in a well worn std early 911 seat and I just cant imagine how these seats were ever meant to provide a lot of support in spirited driving.
        As Brett says, you tends to slide around a lot, and I think Marcus commented that the ratchet on the backrest can let go at the most inopportune moment.

The guy who bought Roy Tashis old 72E and did Classic Adelaide, told me his standard early 911 seat back broke on the second day causing a major drama.

I plan to only make this program available to TYP901 members, another reason for being in the club, plus there is the already offered 10% discount to financial members.
        Attached Files
        Phil Lack
        GTS Classics - proud TYP901 Forum SPONSORS
        PH: 03 9460 4000 FAX: 03 9460 4011
        Exclusive Distributors :
        'BF Torino' Seats, 'Rennshifter' sports shift, Spektr lightweight polycarb glass replacement, Autos International interiors.
        WEB: www.gtsclassics.com.au

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention is the considerable weight saving over the older seats (not to mention a sport seat !).

if you have ever removed your std seat from your car, you will know what I mean.
          Phil Lack
          Exclusive Distributors :
          'BF Torino' Seats, 'Rennshifter' sports shift, Spektr lightweight polycarb glass replacement, Autos International interiors.

Comment

I went for the recliner model as it did appear closer to what the cars originally had (although not mine). Also, it freaked me out that I would lose the rear seats with the other seat models. When you are trying to sell the whole hooning 911 activity thing you don't want to go out of your way in making it anti-family to the boss 8)

I don't have a large waist at 32', so the recliner model also made the most sense as the rally, etc could be a little too wide for my frame and these are a little narrower. I am very happy with the seats. Funny thing is, once your seats are setup, you tend to forget about them. Also, if anyone wants to talk crazy lounge chair seats I would be happy to show you my original ones as they were a joke (Although, no numb bum)

Comment

a tremendous idea Phil....

I think the st is the seat for me.... but I only sat in the thing for about a minute at the Concours in Sydney.

I will follow this thread with interest.

Justin R
              Justin Reed
              aka Reedminor
              1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
              1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
              1961 356B #114700
              Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Here's a pic of Justin's beautiful 67S with his reclining Monte Carlo seats (aka Nurburgring-R).

The basketweave material is a nice period correct feature.
                Attached Files
                Phil Lack
                Exclusive Distributors :

Comment

RS seats

Clyde
                  If you buy new seats for the RS, what are you going to do with the current ones.
                  If selling, please let me know
                  Peter Williams #049
                  Secretary TYP901
                  1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

A question that is important for any one intending to compete with their cars at any more than club sprints. Do these seats have CAMS approval?

If not, they will not be eligible for events such as, Winton 6 hour, Targa Tasmania, East Coast Classic, Classic Adelaide.

Any one intending to do such events should be careful to equip themselves with the approved gear to save double handling / spending!
                    This includes anything you might purchase, be it harnesses, extinguishers,almost anything.

Comment

Its a good point Mike someone else raised it with Phil recently, Marcus I think, anyway Phil done anything about clearing them yet for these events.
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President

Comment

Phil,

Do you think those seats are wide enough for me and what materials are used i.e can I get leather?
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President

Comment

Clyde, the Rallye ST is definitely wide enough for you and is available in both full leather and even perforated leather (like your sport seats) and this does look great. There is a longer wait for any leather seats as i don't normally stock them.

Regarding homologation issues for seats, all BF Torino seats have the German DEKRA approval (like TUV) and we are in the process of getting ADR approvals as a consequence of the German approvals. Some events (like targa) require FIA approved everything (seats, harnesses, helmets, suits) and this can become an expensive exercise as FIA approvals usually only last 5 years, then you have to replace everything. Ouch!
                          :shock:

the problem with replacement seats, as was said to me many times at the 356 Parade, is that there is nothing "classic" looking available (until now) that could be fitted to a period car. Many guys hate the idea of a bright red sparco seat in an old car, but they are bound by regulations.

Our seats are built by a very reputable Italian company in Turin who has for years supplied many well known Italian sports car marques with OEM seats. these seats are all built on steel tube frames with proper webbing support and quality materials, unlike much of the stuff coming out of China these days that you see in the local auto parts barn. Or KMart.
                          Phil Lack
                          Exclusive Distributors :

Comment

Phil, what seats are in the yellow T?
                            Clyde Boyer
                            TYP 901 Register Inc.
                            President

Comment

CAMS FIA

Seats are becoming a concern for CAMS who are really becoming quite fussy with seats. They are the only thing strapping you to the car, and generally you will have to make a compromise for those like me, that are wanting to drive the car in events such as Targa, Classic and track events such as historics. You can use you original seats (who would!) but you are then left with no support. If you ask any good driver, not moving in the car allows you to feel the car much better, as you become one with it - sounds a little spiritual doesn't it!!!
                              Depending on what you plan to do, check with CAMS first before buying ANY seat if you plan to race or rally, let alone one from GTS Classic. The seats that GTS have look and feel great, but lets see what happens with the regulatory body's first.
                              Alex Webster
                              A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Working...
                              X