Cam Arnott
      Looking for engine #6208151
      1970 911E (Sold)
      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

yeah me too... would imagine it would have been the 2.3 litre version, as the crank was still the shorter stroke...

where is Hugh when you need him!!!
        Alex Webster
        A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

were there any factory modified 'T's in lwb?

thanks for the answers so far

Comment

What about the 911T/R (Hamilton's)?
            John Forcier
            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
            Restoration Saga
            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

the Hamilton car is a '68 and therefore swb I believe. Thanks anyway

Comment

Weren't the S/T's a T body with an S motor (hotted up) ?

The T bodies were lighter due to the lack of extra equipment + trim the S cars had. I think I've got a bit of info around somewhere that goes into a bit of detail. John if you want it I can try to scan it on the weekend and email you if you give me an address.

Cheers, Cam
                Cam Arnott
                1970 911E (Sold)
                2 x Split Screen Kombis
                TYP 901 Register # 78
                Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Yes please Cam, that info would be great.

I am pretty sure though that S/Ts were modified 'S's as their chassis numbers denote....

which begs the question, what does the T stand for in S/T?

johnskrbinsek@bigpond.com

cheers,

Comment

Whoops sorry mixing T/R's with S/T's!

John I've sent you and email

For the rest of you with any interest here are a few websites...

http://www.toadhallracing.com/oppenheimer-porsche%20911st.html

http://www.qv500.com/porsche91122p3.php

http://www.911handbook.com/articles/e_davem911.html

http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/pages/articles/articles_25.html
                    Cam Arnott
                    1970 911E (Sold)
                    2 x Split Screen Kombis
                    TYP 901 Register # 78
                    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Ahh an interesting question...

Perhaps the ultimate compeition car from 1970 was a factory supported car for the Tour De France driven by Gerard Larrouse / Levin.... I've seen the car referred to in various books as a 911R and an s/t, but I believe it was painted in yellow with a red flame / hippie livery... I've just bought a model of the car which I'm browsing at in my cabinet now.

Anyway... Larrouse offered the factory mechanics a magnum of French champagne for every kilo thje car was below 800kgs.... it came in at 788! 12 Magnums (cases) please Mr Larrouse. Larrouse / Levin didn't beat the Matra sports cars that year... but they certainly gave them a hurry up

There is lots written about it in Ludvigsens' 3 volume tome "Excellence was Expected"... I'm using it as source material now.

The engine was heavens knows....although 2.3 was the gun engine spec in that period. On the TDF car there is reference of a 906 magnesium cranckcase being used.

One thing I do know if the factory were both resourceful and thrifty... it was not unusual for them to use different parts / specs despite what the books may say!!!

I remember reading a really interesting interview with Jurgen Barth who drove the car back to the factory after the TDF... and it had a distinctive smell... 20 years on he drove the same car (now in private hands) and it still smelt the same!

The car was at Monterey in 98 and I remember Barth (in the ST) and Hurley Haywood (914/6GT) having a ding dong race. being a gentlemen, Barth let Haywood win on his home soil...

I've also attached a pic of a 70/71 ST that was at the 50th Parade historic display in Hershey (2005). From memory it had an extensive French and then Canadian history...
                      Attached Files
                      Justin Reed
                      aka Reedminor
                      1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                      1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                      1961 356B #114700
                      Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Cam, thanks for the bunch of info and the email,
                        interesting reading.
                        How cool is the car below

Justin, love the champagne story, just imagine how much more weight would have been shed, had beer been the incentive.....

the yellow S/T is sweet, but this is special
                        Attached Files

Comment

You're right John, Hamiltons car is a 68. For some reason I thought it was a 69 (lwb)...
                          Attached Files
                          John Forcier
                          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                          Restoration Saga
                          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

John S,
                            Is there any specific info you want to know ?
                            There were only the 2.2 / 2.3 911 S lightweights (930 kg) available as customer race cars for the 1970 season,as well as the customer race car 914/6.Both the 2.2 and 2.3 were available with either carbs or injection depending on race or rally usage.
                            If you had a 911 T that you wanted to be race prepared for a specific reason then Porsche would do it for you,at a cost presumably more than what you would pay for their 'off the shelf' lw 911 S.
                            I still have yet to understand what significant weight difference(say 30 kg) there is/was between a street T and S of the same year.
                            Can someone please explain this theory to me ?
                            The lightweights would have been stripped in a similar fashion to the later RSs eg doors stripped with pulls,sports seats,no carpets,no bumper trim etc.
                            Wheels were 6" all round for rallys and 6"/7" for racing with a 100l tank.
                            The tangerine No 1 car is a '71 customer race car with a 2380cc motor,two front oil coolers,more guard flaring and 7"/9" wheels.
                            Both the '71 cars and the '72 2.5s were steps in the evolution towards the '73 RSR.
                            Which books do you have so I can direct you to pics of these cars ?(not good with the scanner yet)

Cheers,
                            Dennis.
                            Last edited by gulf908; 22-09-07, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I am in a little confusion re the No 1 car above.
                              As I can't see the oil filler cap I don't know if it is a '71 or a '72.
                              This is definately a '71 2.4 lw.

Cheers,
                              Dennis.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X