LHD vs RHD cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LHD vs RHD cars

Well this topic came up quite a bit in conversation today during our informal run.

It seems its more a case of ignorance or lack of experience rather than anything else. Once some of the guys drove Clyde's LHD RS today, it wasn't such a big deal anymore.

So I thought I should throw it open to the board about what they think is wrong with LHD P-cars.

Is it that they aren't as valuable as RHD Aussie delivered cars ? probably not but of course they are also cheaper.

With the available of supply of good quality early cars here in Australia decreasing as the demand grows, perhaps buyers will need to consider looking offshore for a car ? Look at Darren who recently bought a car in NZ (and it was LHD too).

I think somehow, too many new comers have read somewhere that you absolutely have to have an Australian delivered, RHD, matching numbers car. I have seen a few of these cars around which are absolute basket cases, but they meet the buyers criteria. Are these good cars then ? Sure, if you buy them cheap enough, you can certainly bring them back to pristine condition , but at what cost ? its very easy to overcapitalize an early P-car if you are not careful.

No doubt some dealers out there make a big deal about Aussie delivery and maybe matching numbers to talk up possibly ordinary cars which may hide unseen major dramas.

Am keen to hear the general opinion of the board.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Being left handed and having driven left hand drive cars for the past 12 years in the US, I am happy to have a RHD and wouldn't consider LHD. Its a personal thing, though and really depends on peoples circumstances.

If I wasn't left handed and didn't have an early 901 gearbox, then maybe I would consider it

Comment

Hey Justin,

hadn't thought about that aspect of it !

So how does that affect us right handers changing with our left hand ?

Maybe that's why I feel relatively comfortable with LHD cause changing with my right hand is more natural ??
      sigpicPhil Lack
      R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

I just think for most people its a psychological thing that will go away for many when they actually drive a LHD car and feel whats its like.

Just ask Richard Griffiths who drove my car twice today, I don't think its an issue for him anymore.
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President
        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I guess it all comes down to the individual car, and personal preference doesn't it. I am in the fortunate position where I have driven a number of LHD cars, not only 911's. After a couple of k's it really doesn't make a lot of difference in the actual driving of the car.
          Where the biggest difference is, is in the visibility in traffic and other motorists vision of you, also your veiw of the road for passing can be limited.
          As with any car, it's condition has a large bearing on the way it will behave, but then that is the case weather it's LHD or RHD
          Any good car will be good to to drive regardless of which side you get into it!
          Regardless of where a car is purchased, always remember generally you will only get what you pay for, and it ALWAYS pays to get your intended purchase checked out first

Just my 2 bobs worth!

Comment

Yeah Mike, the visibility aspect is one that can be noticeable in heavy traffic. However, with the fabulous visibility in an early 911 with all that glass around, I find I am very much aware of all cars around me and can easily glance over the right shoulder to see whats happening inn that quarter. A good RH side mirror helps a lot if you can figure out the best position to put it to make it work.

Perhaps a LHD drive day is in order for others to experience the original design setup of the early 911.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

As with my LHD motor bike that I once owned, it's all a matter of the more you use it, the more comfortable you are with it. I think, however, an RS is not a good choice for your first LHD experience. Lets see, I'm sitting in a motoring icon worth how much? I've just climbed into the drivers seat via the passenger door and my first mistake is to reach for the starter with my right hand.
              Meanwhile, everyones left by the time I'm settled and adjusted and now I've got to punt this car through the twisty bits to catch up. S**t!
              Well I made it and with a bit more time in behind the wheel, LHD would become 2nd nature.

Comment

Before Saturday I would have taken a LHD conversion over a LHD… how wrong I was. Having driven Clyde’s RS (and trying really hard to separate the “RS” factor and the LHD factor…), it is surprisingly comfortable being on the left. Maybe it’s like getting used to having the indicator stalk on the left of the steering wheel (like on the astra)? After a while it’s not an issue - it just is.

Here is my take on LHD…

1. Buy cheap, sell cheap.
                Maybe as a LHD car I can actually afford a coupe instead of a targa - dreaming, but maybe even a ‘73E…

2. Get a better car for the money.
                These cars are black holes for $$$, at least start out with the best you can… might just mean keeping your head above water (for longer anyway!).

The only downside I see is that you have limited visibility when overtaking into oncoming traffic. Between congested city driving and highways, how many times will this be an issue? I am sure you just modify your driving style to suit anyway…

What was also mentioned on Sat. was that it’s not just buying, but selling – there is a far bigger market to sell your LHD car back into in the US/Europe.

This is not to say I wouldn’t take a good RHD if it came up, but being realistic, in a global market, it is foolish to eliminate a significant part of the market.

And Porsches were designed originally as LHD cars. It was also mentioned on Sat. that there is a greater offset for the pedals in RHD cars… if correct, this would imply that LHD’s and RHD’s are not symmetrical nor mirror images of each other… Do LHD cars behave differently?

Can someone add any perspective on the emission control equipment on 901’s for the US imports? Is it an issue? Can it be removed (worthwhile?) and put back later? Downsides? Upsides?

Just my 2 cents worth…

Rich
                Richard Griffiths
                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r

Can someone add any perspective on the emission control equipment on 901’s for the US imports? Is it an issue? Can it be removed (worthwhile?) and put back later? Downsides? Upsides?

Rich
                  For a pre '74 911 and post '68 isn't that called MFI?

And I don't think you would want to remove it :shock:

Comment

Justin, MFI only came fitted to E's and S's and then on 72T's just for that model year (I think).

Ric, my 71T had a charcoal cannister fitted into the fuel tank breather and i think thats all the emission control stuff peculiar to US (or maybe Californian) cars ??

It was only later in the 70's that they went to catalytic converters which ran very hot and caused all sort of oil leak problems due to the heat radiating from them . These were unique to US cars and mainly to CA. cars.

besides, early P-cars are exempt from CA. smog checks anyway.

Good comments about your LHD experience too . I think your range opens up substantially when you consider LHD cars although prices in the USA are starting to get crazy. Check out some recent posting on the early S registry forum to see a T offered at US$50K and E's offered over $60K !

Good T's are easily getting US$20K+ now whereas a year ago they were more like low $10's.

Word is getting out.....
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

In the end, it's obviously a personal choice.
                      My experience is:
                      - in the UK, there are a significant amount of LHD Porsches (and other cars). The UK doesn't have this protectionism excuse that Australia uses to protect its own inefficient car industry, so there are no issues with (even) new LHD cars being registered
                      - I drove a LHD car in the UK as my only car for 3 years, and whilst i agree with the comments about visibility, it really isn't an issue. Toll roads and car park tickets are the real pain (!!!)
                      - "Australian delivered" vs "South African delivered" vs "UK delivered" RHD cars. Obviously the UK cars have potential rust issues. But the S.A. ones shouldn't have any more than Australian - surely.
                      - in the end, LHD is a superb way to get into the car you desire. My new addition (story to come) is a Viper Green coupe for US$14,700 (incl spare Fuchs), largely original paint, original blue CA numberplates (the front one still brand new in its packet) and in superb condition ! Can't see any of those for sale round here !!

my thoughts !!!
                      cheers

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil
                        Justin, MFI only came fitted to E's and S's and then on 72T's just for that model year (I think).
                        Phil,
                        emissions is normally associated with what comes out of the exhaust/tailpipe - not sure whether fuel tank breather setup you mention is an emissions thing or not.

That said, the only major thing that Porsche did for emissions with the 65-73 cars was MFI. In 1968 the USA EPA brought in markedly more stringent emissions requirements that meant that the 911S had to be dropped and wasn't imported into the US during that year. Apparently the L model and later T's were not so much an issue with emissions due to the lower performance and associate engine emissions. In 1969 Porsche started importing the S, E and T models. Both the E and S were allowed in the US as they had MFI, which enabled them to pass the EPA emission standards. The L-Jetronic came in officially in 1974 although there seem to be a number of 73.5 911s. In 1975 the EPA requirements were upped again and this is when the reactors were installed on 911s that helped fry the engines.

Comment

Hi Justin,

with what my car sometimes blows out the tailpipe I would hardly call the MFI system environmentally friendly :shock: but it must have passed their EPA requirements.

I believe the charcoal canister was to control fuel fumes but it seems all early cars can suffer from fuel smells in the cabin no matter what. I think Phil H. also pulled some other CA. smog stuff off the CIS system on the 71T when we rebuilt the injection system. he muttered something about it being superfluous and not required for Euro spec motors.

Good to see so many comments and contributions to this thread.
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Originally posted by JD
                            The L-Jetronic came in officially in 1974 although there seem to be a number of 73.5 911s. In 1975 the EPA requirements were upped again and this is when the reactors were installed on 911s that helped fry the engines.
                            Justin,

The K-Jetronic injection was fitted in late 1973 for 1974 listed models and on...the L-Jetronic is a similar yet different Bosch designed and supplied injection system.

Thankfully, the Australian delivery cars from model year 1974 did not require the thermal reactors for EPA requirements. They did however suffer from heat issues especially the sportomatics. The most common failure was (and still is) pulled head studs due to heat. A lot of remedial repairs were carried out using helicoils - wrong. The material in the block eventually pulls away along with the helicoil. The only correct way to repair these blocks is to use a timesert with a decent thread length and correct stud lock product. I have seen many 2.7s over the years with pulled helicoils requiring magicianship to save the block from the bin :shock: .

This situation is more rare in pre 1974 engines, but nowadays given the age of the block material it definitely pays to check all the head studs for torque and any sign of cracking around them during a rebuild. Saves $1000s in the long run...

Comment

PGXIF (Paul isn't it).

Where are some pictures of your new purchase.

Love that colour.
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President
                              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                              X