Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track Day Alternative

Everyone,

as I conversed with Marcus today, a valid point came up ....

we had better not overuse out little 'run' as I know that Peter had the finger pointed at him at one stage by some locals.

I will endeavor to find more similar runs so that Mr Plod and alike don't get the royal sh*ts with us tearing up their roads early mornings!!!

I think it would be safe to say that track days would be another great thing for the register to do, as this will be far more controlled, and enable more drivers to find their limits of their cars in relative safety. For my mind, punting the cars is great, but at some stage, one of us going to run out of luck or get a little too out of shape, and end up in a rather yucky situation, potentially hurting themselves and/or someone else. This will certainly bring unwanted press and attention to the club, even if not a sanctioned run.

I believe that Winton is a great track for our cars, as it has some good corners and straights, and can catch out the unwary or inexperienced driver. One or two a year, and not a lot of drivers, would make for an affordable and fun day, especially being able to ride shotgun with some other people and their cars, and feeling and seeing the difference. Calder is okay but does not offer the driver enough of a challenge. DECA is another alternative out on the back track...

I have mentioned this before, and think that so long as there as some rules regarding passing, and allowing track virgins to get comfortable without feeling they are being hounded or pushed off the road, that this would be an invaluable experience. It could even be an opportunity for the company's like the sponsors, to offer their services to members, and have people like Mike, Phil, Denis etc, to jump in clients cars, and suggest (like what happened on Saturday) to improve and setup each car to the owners liking. Not all of us are wanting our suspension rock hard, but most of us want to have better handling and feel safer, more confident and drive like Fangio!!!

More importantly a little 'unofficial' competition between all of us is not a bad thing - BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!

That my 2 hp (horsepower) worth, what does everyone else think?
    Yes - but only if controlled
    0.00%
    Yes - bring it on!!!
    100.00%
    No - not my sort of thing
    0.00%
    Maybe - would consider it
    0.00%
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Correct Alex these non club informal gatherings are awesome but their are some issues and you have alluded to a couple and others elsewhere have mentioned others.

I'm sure there would be interest for track days, its been discussed at committee level however there is the issue of marshalls and cost which for such a small group make it hard.

Marcus should use his influence to get us invited to an Alfa day they used to run good competition events and I am sure we could make up a Porsche group I would go even to watch if I wasn't going to drive. carl even mentioned tagging on to a Ferrari/Maserati day.

I would happily drive behind a 308GTS with Kristie Brinkley in it!!!!
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Yeah look, any opportunity to have some 901'ers on their car in relative safety and learn more about their car is what I am all about.

If it is with the Alfa or Maserati Club etc, so be it, Marshall's etc are not necessarily required but 'nice' if it permits.

Drive mornings are great, don't get me wrong, I LOVE THEM!!!
      Alex Webster
      A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Patience boys....Mike and I are working on it (or have committee members forgotten this?).

We both have the experience of many years in other clubs, competing, scrutineering and Mike with driver training and evaluating at CAMS national level etc...

We have an idea for a "safe" environment where proper driver training can be conducted just for our club without exorbitant cost to our members. Just sit tight as we have been pretty busy, but that doesn't mean we haven't been working away at this behind the scenes .

Sit tight guys...it's in the pipeline for next year if you wish.

Comment

I would love be part of this.

Comment

Lisa read my post I am sure the words "the committee have discussed itt" are in there.
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President

Comment

The NSW Situation

Realising that the "old stagers" are deserting the sprint championship in droves.... if you don't have a GT3RSR and are prepared to throw several sets of tyres at in a day type thing...PCNSW will be running a few events with regularity sections....in 2006.

The first event will (tentatively) take place at Wakefield Park in April. Around 20 people have already expressed their interest... including me (might need that seat and Rennshift earlier Phil)

This way you can still enjoy the car, yet drive at your own pace (which you nominate). It is challenging without being wallet, car or soul destroying.

Agree that the runs are tremendous fun.... but for a novice they can be intimidating if driven like at the Nats (Saturday).... and I've been around the block a few times in early 911's.

The potential for an accident and or adverse publicity is too great in my opinion....

So if anyone would like to venture north (or South in the case of Qld'ers) let me know....

Justin R
              Justin Reed
              aka Reedminor
              1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
              1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
              1961 356B #114700
              Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator
                I'm sure there would be interest for track days, its been discussed at committee level however there is the issue of marshalls and cost which for such a small group make it hard.

Marcus should use his influence to get us invited to an Alfa day they used to run good competition events and I am sure we could make up a Porsche group I would go even to watch if I wasn't going to drive. carl even mentioned tagging on to a Ferrari/Maserati day.
                Clyde,

I did read your post...but I read it as a negative for running our own driver training day, especially as you correctly stated a small group makes it hard.

Mike has put a lot of research and work into this and as I said at the committee meeting I think it can be done. And you know how careful I am with Register funds :wink: ! We have one more hurdle to cross - the marshalls etc are not the problem costwise as we intend for everyone to have a go at this as well so you'll know what to expect when called upon to fill such a role at a club sprint. It's the goddamn insurance! I am working on this...

Whilst I like the idea of tagging onto another club run event, I do believe that a lot of our members have no idea about sprint days, how they are run, the scrutineering requirements including safety issues etc. I think that a preliminary driver education day, which includes some theory on these sorts of requirements and how to check the basics before presenting your car to scrutineering is important. Throw in a mix of fun type car control events with maybe a real tricky one at the end of the day once we have you all primed and hopefully the end result shall be such that:
                * everyone has learnt their limitations in a safe environment without excessive speed
                * everyone is aware of the safety issues that must be addressed for scrutineering even at club level and how to check these things themselves
                * everyone has an opportunity to be evaluated by experienced early 911 drivers and instructors
                * every car can be evaluated and suggestions and advice for improvements for handling/braking etc given
                *everyone has a bloody good time and a giggle to boot!

Oh yeah...and if the venue we are looking at works out how about we use "the Christmas Tree" at the end of the day so you guys can duel it off
                like the "big boys" do...

Like I said, sit tight....we'd like to make good on this one for the club .

Comment

I agree with the views expressed by Alex/Marcus and Justin in relation to the potential dangers associated with our informal run last Saturday. Even though I was having a great time, the thought was always in the back of my mind that there may be an old farmer slowly crossing the road in his tractor just over the next rise - and if that had happened just as I was admiring the rear end of the blonde jogger in my rear vision mirror - then ..... at least I would have died smiling.
                  I know I certainly backed off a little when Rich was passenger.
                  The idea Lisa flagged re a familiarisation, training and evaluation day sounds really good to me. I am one who has attended many historic race meetings but would never consider actually getting on the track - without some previous tuition - especially track etiquette. I also like the idea of being able to drive within one's limits without undue pressure from others - at least until I become familiar with such driving.
                  I for one will remain patient Lisa - but in the meantime may be tempted on another one or two of Alex's drives - but will remain well within the speed limits.
                  It also gives me time to have my suspension set-up analysed with a view to improving it. And your advice Mike is well received - I will always leave such things to experts - George C in my case.
                  Seats are also on the shopping list. What are you doing with yours from the RS Clyde if you update.

To all those still looking for a 901 - the big cost is not necessarily the initial purchase - it is all the costs associated with getting the car to just how you want it - if you are fussy!
                  Peter Williams #049
                  Secretary TYP901
                  1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Well you read it wrong.

Alex mentioned another great thing for the club to do would be track days, hence my response.

It even says track days in my post and I can't see where I made a negative comment or any comment for that matter about driver training, which by the way, I support 100%, as stated at the committee meeting.

The driver training concept is totally different to Alex/Marcus/Phil and others who are club members wanting to do track days of some sort in their TYP 901 cars and I can't see any problem with that if we are invited to other clubs events.

I was putting the case for why the club can't operate such a day as a stand alone club.
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

I apologise.

Comment

No need to apologise I think the training idea is great as we discussed at Committee and hell I could and should learn a lot from a day like that so bring it on.

My only prior track experience, with the xception of two days at Mt Cotton, is exactly what you and Mike are trying to get us all to avoid.

As an inexperienced/incompetent driver I stuck my V8 Walkinshaw (yes a GMH car) into the armco at Sandown. If the HSV Club had provided or insisted upon some driver training before I went on the track then I would almost certainly not have done so so I am all for these sort of days.

Equally I am also for track days for those who want to.

Peter, fat chance sunshine they will be carefully stored for the next lucky owner of the RS. I any event I am taking them out as while I am like you and staying within the speed limits, they don't give me the support I now want. While they are better than yours GTS Classics can supply seats that are better than both of ours and they will cost you a lot less than mine would.

I bought a steering wheel and you might put that on your Santa list also I am sure Julie won't mind after Tankards bill!
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President

Comment

Clyde just as well that miss-hap was a while ago, in recent times at Sandown you would have got the bill to repair the armco, as well as the car! From what I believe that is painful at about 5 grand a length.

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator
                            As an inexperienced/incompetent driver I stuck my V8 Walkinshaw (yes a GMH car) into the armco at Sandown. If the HSV Club had provided or insisted upon some driver training before I went on the track then I would almost certainly not have done so so I am all for these sort of days.

Hmmm...when I was the the tender age of 20 I managed to have the most spectacular lose on the old Valvoline corner at Calder in one of Dad's 911s...right in front of a Kremer Turbo! The double apex caught me out, I kept it on the black stuff OK but Peter (Kremer) and I did a mighty high speed dance around one another at horrible speed :shock: ... thus by 20 I had learned my limits of adhesion, let alone that of the car!

I'd like to think that a driver ed. day will inspire some of the guys to come and have a go. I know there are several of us who already know the ropes, but club sprint days are different too from the Classic Adelaides and Targas. The principle is sort of the same, but in the main the running of these days is very different. And each club runs them differently too. I like the way Alfa club and Ford Four Car Club (and PIARC) do things, with plenty of track time in each run. I don't like the 3 lap thing that the PCV was doing (haven't done one for a while)...one warm up, one flying lap and one slow down...I don't think you learn much from that at all.

Comment

Yes Mike if $5000 was the total cost in hindsight I would have happily paid as I eventually, as a result of the accident, repainted the whole car in 2 pack at the cost of $17,000 plus

Sandown even removed the armco it was after the first turn on the left hand side but hasn't been seen for years and my fibreglass didn't cause it so much as a ripple but the fibreglass...........thats another story.
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President

Comment

Working...
                              X