New Paint job cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Paint job cost

Considering we have a wealth of knowledge here, I was wondering what the cost of a colour change is ? My current preference is dark colour to light (probably silver).

Anyone done it recently with a reliable company ??

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Andrew B View Post
    Considering we have a wealth of knowledge here, I was wondering what the cost of a colour change is ? My current preference is dark colour to light (probably silver).

Anyone done it recently with a reliable company ??

Thanks in advance.
    andrew,

there are color changes and there are color changes - if u go down this path u will more than likely end up doing a full restoration as i did..?
    if u like i will try to dig up an old friends phone no.who has been doing this sort of thing now for probably 35 years he has probably repainted more than (50) 911's,he did my car about 15 years ago.
    i know he has had health issues recently so i don't know if he is still in a position to do this sort of thing.he used to run scuderia veloce porsche paint shop before he went out on his own about 20 years ago.as u live in the same suburb as i do u may want to come over,check my car out,view the many photos i have taken during my resto...?
    i had a "handson approach" on my car as it was being done so i do know the "ins and outs" of undertaking either color change and/or full resto.more than happy to answer any questions u may have if i can.

-----------------------
    peter kaufmann
    '73 911e rebuilt 2.7rs carrera mfi specs.
    (mob) 0408 644 769
    Last edited by PKAUFMAN; 17-10-07, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Paul would really like to catch up. Will PM you.

Regards Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew, I agree with Peter (end up doing full resto). I had my resto done about 2 years ago by ZAG in sydney. It was a full, back to shell job, with colour change. Mine was a big job due to the condition of the car. ZAG have done a lot of early cars in Sydney. Hope this helps..

Comment

Anyone care to share what sort of coin they parted with?
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

This is one of those "how long is a piece of string" things. if you strip the car back and find major issues, what do you do ? paint over them ? or fix them, which usually involves major repairs, rust, panels replacement , fixing old (bad) repairs etc..

But having recently asked around I got ranges from $5500 thru $15,000 up to $25,000. Materials alone can cost you around $2500 if you use the good stuff. The prep work and rubbng down etc takes many hours.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
              This is one of those "how long is a piece of string" things. if you strip the car back and find major issues, what do you do ? paint over them ? or fix them, which usually involves major repairs, rust, panels replacement , fixing old (bad) repairs etc..

But having recently asked around I got ranges from $5500 thru $15,000 up to $25,000. Materials alone can cost you around $2500 if you use the good stuff. The prep work and rubbng down etc takes many hours.
              from personal experiences a reputable paint shop would charge:
              1. $4-$5k to repaint a 5 year old 3 series bmw with all windows in place but no colour
              change,no door jams and no repairs.
              2. $10-12k plus repairs and parts to repaint (ie colour change) a 12 year old porsche 911sc but incl. door jams and with windows out.

in both cases was using stadox 2k clear over solid base paint system in low temp. baked oven.
              in case 2. as above but price included full bare metal strip.also repair costs were quoted on basis of using body filler.file finished repairs were not industry standard by this stage and had to be requested and therefore price was also adjusted accordingly.

the abovementioned prices are atleast 10 years out of date...?

----------------------------
              peter kaufmann
              '73 911e rebuilt 2.7rs carrera mfi specs.
              Last edited by PKAUFMAN; 17-10-07, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Interesting. I intend to a full body restoration on my car at sometime in the next 5-10 years. I reckon the value of these cars will make the expense worthwhile.

I have some very minor rust repairs in the floor to be done and a little metal work in the boot area. My dilema will be whether to stick with the current colour I love - Arrow Blue, or to take it back to the original Ossi Blau. There will also be the decision on whether to keep the flared guards or return to narrow body (I'll probably keep it in the current ST interpretation)

No matter what, it will be my intention to do all the stripping of interior, windows, and drive-train. And perhaps the removal of the current paint. I would then do all the reassembly. I figure this should hold my cost down to 5-7k for a good quality job depending on any repair requirements that may be discovered.
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

John,

Go the Ossi Blue I think... The arrow blue was an impact bumper colour wasn't it... I've seen one or two 2.7 Carrera's and 3.0 litre Carreras in that colour... both nice nice colours in any case, so you have an interesting conundrum...

My car like yours isn't bad paint wise but it could be better. I'd say mine is a good 4 foot car, and have referred to its condition as like your favourite pair of shoes... well looked after but with some patina!

As far as costs are concerned I've been researching this quite actively over the last few months ... I've looked at plenty of cars, spoken to their owners and visited a few shops...

My criteria is an excellent job, but not concours, as the car will be driven enthusiastically. I want to do the job once, correctly. I don't want to have to revisit this stressful event in a few years... I've concluded the car is most likely a keeper and I don't want to have to worry about it for up to 20 years.

I am in the process of diverting sufficient funds now... but to do it properly, and to be prepared for finding some surprises (like new guards and or doors as you never know what you are in for until the paint is removed) a worst case scenario, same colour repaint is around $20K.

It could come out a whole lot better / cheaper than this but I've taken the view I should budget for a worst case scenario and bite the bullet.
                  Justin Reed
                  aka Reedminor
                  1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                  1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                  1961 356B #114700
                  Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Thanks boys, very helpfull.

Anyone done a silver car and what are the tricks or paint type to get the right period look ???

Matt, can I be rude and ask what they charged ? The work looks great.

Justin I don't think your prices are unrealistsic..... Sadly!
                    Last edited by Andrew B; 17-10-07, 09:40 PM.

Comment

$21,500 thats what the total repaint in 8080 Silver Met clear over base cost for CD0911 12 months ago. Check out the photos in the gallery and you can see the extent of the work that was carried out.

Steve Kennedy Smash on the Central Coast did the job and I think those that have seen the car would agree it has come up pretty nice, something i'm happy with and didnt spend $40,000 on that was suggested by some re-finishers.

Simon at Autowerks pulled the car apart to a bare shell for $3000, completely stripped,loom out, the whole box and dice and then we had the shell media blasted ($2800)- not sure that i would do that again as 12 months down the track i'm still getting blast media through the ventilation system...

At the end of the day you will get what you pay for, it cant be done for $10k but it shouldnt cost $40k

i am happy to recommend Steve Kennedy Smash at Toukley and they can be contacted on 02 43971510
                      Craig
                      12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                      1972 2.4E Targa project
                      1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Originally posted by epilot View Post
                        $21,500 thats what the total repaint in 8080 Silver Met clear over base cost for CD0911 12 months ago. Check out the photos in the gallery and you can see the extent of the work that was carried out.

Steve Kennedy Smash on the Central Coast did the job and I think those that have seen the car would agree it has come up pretty nice, something i'm happy with and didnt spend $40,000 on that was suggested by some re-finishers.

Simon at Autowerks pulled the car apart to a bare shell for $3000, completely stripped,loom out, the whole box and dice and then we had the shell media blasted ($2800)- not sure that i would do that again as 12 months down the track i'm still getting blast media through the ventilation system...

At the end of the day you will get what you pay for, it cant be done for $10k but it shouldnt cost $40k

i am happy to recommend Steve Kennedy Smash at Toukley and they can be contacted on 02 43971510
                        hi graig,

just wanted to clarify if the $21.5k included the strip down plus the media blasting costs, as well as reassembly. did this price include some new parts ie seals,trims etc.etc..?

--------------------------
                        peter kaufmann
                        ,73 911e rebuilt 2.7rs carrera mfi specs.

Comment

Have to agree with Phil's comments - my car went in for a new front pan and ended up up with new sills (internal & external) and a few other things which basically doubled the initial estimate. Don't need too many nasty suprises to completely blow the budget.
                          Paul Wischer
                          1969 911T
                          1979 Californian Moke
                          TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Originally posted by PKAUFMAN View Post
                            hi graig,

just wanted to clarify if the $21.5k included the strip down plus the media blasting costs, as well as reassembly. did this price include some new parts ie seals,trims etc.etc..?

--------------------------
                            peter kaufmann
                            ,73 911e rebuilt 2.7rs carrera mfi specs.
                            Peter

i wish!!

the $21,500 was for 360 hours of labour and materials in the steel work, preparation for and painting of the tub.

Media blasting and disassembly was seperate.

in round figures reassembly was $10000 in labour and about $20000 in parts and bits and pieces, plating powder coating anodising.

it sounds like a huge amount but when you break it down a new interior costs seats and runners $3000, door pockets $2000, carpet kit $1000, roof lining $300, alu carpet trims $400, gauge refinishing $700, nos sunvisors $700, on and on

never for one moment do i regret spending a cent of what i have invested in the car, it is something very special that i intend to keep for a very long time.
                            Craig
                            12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                            1972 2.4E Targa project
                            1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

I might be sad; but I really enjoy the quiet tinkering and refinishing process when I reassemble cars...

In the 7 years I've had the car I have pretty much disassembled and rebuilt every part (except the gearbox). I'm pretty sure I can handle the majority of things involved in pulling the car a part and putting it back together again (although I hear the headliner is a biatch). I think that's where the majority of the labour cost comes from...
                              John Forcier
                              Restoration Saga

Comment

Working...
                              X