Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood Lights - value?

Hi Guys

as of late, i have had my eye out for bargains... and these have come along.

are they "right"? They are advertised as cibie "boules" which according to google means "ball"... presume they are the same as "pallas"??

They don't have the rims chromed, but i presume that is not too hard to fix? and no mounting plate from the looks of it, but surely that too can't be too hard to find...

the catch is... no asking price at this stage! (and no they aren't on evil bay... yet).

so, anyone want to have a stab at what they are worth?!?

cheers

rich
    Attached Files
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Rich

They look ok, however the globes are not the ones you want as they are not the H1 (halogen) style. The problems is that I think you would need different bulb holders to be able to use the H1 style globes. I dont think you can get much more than 55W in that style but stand to be corrected. Dunno where you could get the holders although I might be able to put you on to an OS source.

The base plates are easy to have made but the steel mounting 3 bolt rings are harder though not impossible. If you buy them I can lend you both if you want to make copies.

Price wise I'd guess at $7-800 or thereabouts..

Hope this helps!

Cam
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Rich,
      Cam is probably on the $$, they seem to have "eased" in price over the last 12 months. See if you can get an "interior" shot of the bucket to check for rust. The glass looks to be in good knick. but have a close look at the reflectors, you don't really want to have to replate them.

Jappy
      MichaelJapp
      71E
      Typ901 #065
      EarlyS #798

Comment

so if the price is right, how hard is it to change the bulbs to halogens (or how bad are the existing one's anyway?!)?

actually, getting reflectors replated is what i am facing for my actual headlights anyway, so would be interested in what my options there are too...

cam, what's the difference between the "base plates" and the "steel mounting 3 bolt rings"?? is there something other than the base plates that these lights would need?

thanks!

rich
        Richard Griffiths
        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

the 3-bolt rings are in the trim rings, & the base plates are the "D" shaped things with 4 holes for the underside of the hood. the bolts on the rings stick though the bucket, then the rubber seal, the hood, & finally the base plate.

Got it, "bowser boy"???
          Attached Files
          MichaelJapp
          71E
          Typ901 #065
          EarlyS #798

Comment

Oh yeah, if you can find the holder the change would be pretty easy, even for a city boy.
            MichaelJapp
            71E
            Typ901 #065
            EarlyS #798

Comment

geez jappy... stick those country boots in why don't you!!! don't come crying to me when you want some juice though...

thanks for the pic though - makes it much clearer!! :-)

will have to see if the price makes it worth the risk... or i could just by one of phil's seats... Hmmmm...

cheers
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

FWIW I'd put my bum in something supportive.
                MichaelJapp
                71E
                Typ901 #065
                EarlyS #798

Comment

Japptechnica!
                  Alex Webster
                  A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Rich, the pics you show have the reflectors fitted wiht H4 bulbs. The H1 that are correct then require an extra fitting that inserts into the large hole into which fits the H1 globe. There is a wire spring arrangement that holds the bulb in place. Unless you can find this part (unlikely) you may be stuck with the H4 globe, which of course, is a High/Low beam bulb. I am not sure how well the filament placement is in this configuration but if its not right, you wont get much light out of them as the reflectors wont have the light source at the optimum position.

Getting lenses replated can also be a challenge. Am not sure if you can find someone that does this easily. there are a number of electroplaters in West Heidelberg area that ,may be able to assist but you would need to show them the job.

Are the lights there for looks or perfromance ??

below are some detail pics that should help explain. You can see the difference with the H1 globe holder
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by e72phil; 26-10-07, 08:47 AM.
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                    Early 911-S Registry # 690
                    R-Gruppe # 367
                    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by alexwebster View Post
                      Japptechnica!

Pretty sure I've seen that on a sticker plastered across a Nissan here in Box Hill...
                      Paul Wischer
                      1969 911T
                      1979 Californian Moke
                      TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

thanks phil

presume it isn't easy to get an H1 adapter made up?

these lights really are for just the hotrod look... sad i know. don't think mr plod would like me using them to supplement my shoddy H1's...

i have a lot of ebay alerts going at the moment for parts... so not at all worried about passing on these and waiting for a better set to come along.

cheers

rich
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

hi guys,

just thought i'd give you an update... had a couple of emails from the seller, and then lost contact...

then yesterday i saw the lights on ebay, so thought i'd have a stab (at white i thought was a fair price based on risk)... got 'em for EUR301!!! which is about A$475... a good price i think.

so, now we are waiting to see how much the postage is and then we wait and see what the lights are like! will let you know...

cheers

rich
                          Richard Griffiths
                          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Looking forward to seeing them mounted Rich.

What style are you going for?

Flat 'rally' black or colour coded.....
                            Cam Arnott
                            Looking for engine #6208151
                            1970 911E (Sold)
                            '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                            2 x Split Screen Kombis
                            TYP 901 Register # 78
                            Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

well, current plan is to buy as many parts for the car as possible (like these lights) and stick 'em all on as is... and get the hot rod look right...

maybe by then i'll have found that dying rich uncle to assist in paying for the respray!!!

so they'll go on in their current black finish first, then colour coded... but need to get 'em in the country first. then we can worry about getting up the courage to drill holes in my bonnet!!!!!!!!!!
                              Richard Griffiths
                              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                              X