Nice 70S 2.2 in USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice 70S 2.2 in USA

Found this nice little car. Shows prices are now reflective in the US as to what they are here in Australia.

1970 911S 2.2 Coupe

The car is near mint exact for a few rock chips on the front hood. Paint is stunning, interior is prefect, motor was rebuilt 8,000 miles ago, 5-speed trans shifts like butter, paper work going back to 1974, 116K true miles. Price $53,000

I actually like the colour!! Would be a nice piece of kit to own
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Alex,

I believe that car was discussed at length on the Early s board.

And a 901 tranny that shifts like butter ?? Sure thats not more like a spoon in a porridge bowl ??

US prices for good cars are indeed heading north.

3 RS's all sold in the past month for US$200K and above.

Clyde's laughing. You guys to probably.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Surprisingly yes, a 901 can change gears well, as Alex said almost like butter but they MUST have everything going for them.
      Mark Clair had a '68 T which had a very slick shifting 901 box fitted to it, this one was the best I have sampled, there are a few others around also that are pretty good too, Justin's and Bruce Young's spring to mind also.

Comment

description was not from me, but the seller! He is a good mate of Stewart... and yes RS prices are going out of control in the US.

Seems like a nice car though, the 2.2 is a great motor.
        Alex Webster
        A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Sure thats not more like a spoon in a porridge bowl ....

Phil,

We could end up with the boxing gloves on over this one !! :P
          I have had 2 915s,one from new and one rebuilt by Ian Hamilton with the later layshaft.
          Both were recalcitrant when cold and little better when hot.
          The prime attractions of a 2.2S are the revvy motor and the 901/911 trans ONLY WHEN set up well.
          Grant & Tim at Autohaus renovated the pedal box,the gear base mechanism and the rear coupling.With nothing more than a change to a modern 80/90 oil,it changes better than a 915 can ever hope to dream of doing !
          My sympathies to all 915 drivers !! :wink:

Cheers,
          Dennis.

Comment

I'm with DB......

Mine has improved over the years of my ownership... and even more so I hope with the addition of the Rennshift...

Last Easter I drove DB's S - he dragged me away from painting the new bi fold doors we'd installed - and it was "the business" in the pedal box and gear shift dept...

as I say to Mark G - when he complains about reaching over into the passenger door pocket to engage 1st gear in my L.... the 901 gbox divided the world ... into those that could drive and those that could not!

Justin R
            Justin Reed
            aka Reedminor
            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
            1961 356B #114700
            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

And I'm with DB and JR...sorry Phil, but I think you have had limited bad experiences...when old age and/or poor maintenance catches up with any pre G50 box they all have problems in selection. In fact I would go so far to say that I prefer a well sorted and prepared 901/911 box over a 915. At least the 901/911 boxes don't select 2 gears at once which sadly can occur in 915s!

I have driven literally 100s of 911s over the years - comes with the job :wink: ! I prefer a 901/911 box, particularly when driving in high spirits or on a circuit - once you're out of first it's a bloody breeze by comparison to a 915. Oh and don't believe the hoohaa that these 901/911 boxes won't take some extra HP through them either. We've pumped plenty through them (relatively speaking) and they are remarkably strong to boot.

Another great thread and discussion (even if it's been hijacked a little from its original purpose)!

Comment

The spoon and porridge bowl remark was a bit tongue in cheek as this is the classic description you often hear about old 901 gearboxes.

My 911 box was just rebuilt by Phil H. and its certainly shifter way better than before and with the addition of a better shifter to alleviate the slop in the original one, I am sure it will indeed shift comfortably.

I also agree with Dennis that doing all the other maintenance, especially the bushes in the shift base and rear coupler make a great difference. And no one has mentioned engine mounts here which, if worn, also make a difference when engaging gears.

I think this discussion deserves a new thread as Alex's original post he really become hijacked here.
                sigpicPhil Lack
                TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                Early 911-S Registry # 690
                R-Gruppe # 367
                '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Working...
                X