Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another LHD arriving into Aus shortly

Hi
    At last, have managed to find time to resize the photos.

I was a little cautious about telling the details until i had delivery (transfer happened on monday) as the last car i bought (a 68L) fell through (I sent the cheque, he signed over the rego and sent it to me, and then changed his mind and didn't let the car go ... possession (in New Jersey) being 9/10ths of the law and all that !! I did get my money back.

Anyway, this was much simpler ! Saw the advert in the PCNA 'for sale items' described as follows:

"Non-sunroof cpe, orig Conda (Viper) Green, CA car since new, owners manual and service booklet with CA dealer’s stamps, toolkit, records back to 1986. Orig orange crest, CA blue plates (the front plate is still new in a yellow DMV envelope!) Engine rblt in mid-80s but no records (just references to it), pulls very strong, PMO rebuilt Webers, 901 shifts perfect. All orig body decals, recent German velour carpet, good seats door panels and pockets, DOT H4s, spare Fuchs has orig Uniroyal (with the nubs still on it!) brakes are solid, the car drives like new. Issues: Rust is starting to bubble in the usual locations at the bottom of the front and rear windows. No other rust on the car. Car has crazed paint on the roof and right rear fender, the rest of the paint is very nice. Dash has cracks in the usual places, and headliner is original but looks decent. Car drips a little oil, could use return tubes & turbo valve covers."

and the PPI, and my mate in LA going and having a look, and with some advice and warnings from Lisa (thanks again!), took the plunge ! My mate then picked it up and drove the 1 1/2 hour trip back to central LA - all went very well. Now in his lock up (with his 348, boxter, 380SL and 1957 Buick) until i go over and (from what i'm reading !) pack up the container personally !!

Will be asking some further advice shortly (ps anyone worked out the CA rules and regulations to export ... website is confusing ? - currently i registered it in my name to avoid the 10% CA sales tax)

oh yes, think i said somewhere else - $14,700 incl a set of "non-comfort" Fuchs !!

what do you think (bear in mind - it's too late now !!!)
    Attached Files

and the interior ...
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks fine to me - drive it and enjoy it.. and spend money on it as you can...

Love the colour...

JR
      Justin Reed
      aka Reedminor
      1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
      1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
      1961 356B #114700
      Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Mmmmm Green !! Conda green is such a great color.
        Congrats on the purchase.
        Another US 911 abducted by an Aussie :wink:

Comment

Looks great.

Very keen to see how the whole process (including shipping) turns out... now that I am more aligned to the left hookers!

I notice that it has the US headlights - are change-overs readily available?

Green is good. I think I could even get that colour past the finance committee!!

Rich
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Rich,

the headlights are easily changed over. Bob Whyms sells Bosch replacements as a complete set incl chrome ring.

I am not a great lover of green Porsche's (maybe Viper green) but I hope it doesn't get called Kermit !
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the front and rear indicator lenses need to be changed too. US cars use all amber front lenses and mainly red rears.

And the silver edged ones are the most expensive (ouch). Also you need to modify the front signal lenses to accept a white parking light or find a euro signal complete with the 2 bulbs.
              sigpicPhil Lack
              R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Phil

Green has to beat brown though right?!?

Which raises another question (for a colour blind fool like me), are Viper Green and Conda Green different? Are there colour charts on the web somewhere?

Rich
                Richard Griffiths
                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

thanks for your thoughts !
                  Yes, headlights will change to H4s (thanks for the tip where to buy them) and the vendor was kind enough to swap the indicators front and back to Euro ones (allbeit old and faded, they'll do for now !)
                  Ultimately, i fell in love with the viper green car in Excellence (RSR replica ... though with slightly more modest flares !). The S for sale at European Collectibles (see Alex' mail) is where i want to take it too !

Yes - originally couldn't envisage a green car - funny how tastes change !And I do love that lighter green too !!

Comment

Rich,
                    Darren posted on a previous thread about a Glasurit colour chart on the Web.

Conda green and Viper green are indeed different as are Signal orange, tangerine, Blood Orange, etc.

Link is in the general info section
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Am happy after reading the NSW rules on imported LHD cars ... (Vehicle Standards Information No 40, Rev 1, Oct 2003) that like Victoria (horray) ... "the installation of a sign at the rear of the vehicle that displays the words "left hand drive" is OPTIONAL ... !! Thank god !

Looks very simple, must meet (i) the NSW roadworthiness requirements as well as (ii) the vehicle standards requirements, including (iii) any ADR's that applied at the time of the manufacture.
                      Has anyone had any issue with (ii) and (iii) ?

cheers

Comment

Is it here yet?

I know what that means in Vic but not sure about NSW

You don't have to change indicators down here just headlights and need inertia reel seat belts in the rear if its post 71 and new front belts if they even smell like they are fraying at all

Otherwise you don't have any issues
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President
                        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Clyde,

Where do you get new "period" inertia reel belts?

Was out in Dad's 356 today and the belts installed in 1963 just frighten me now....

Took the car out to Oran Park today and supported some of the early 911's - 2 small bumper cars and a gaggle of G Series 2.7 Carreras and 3.0 litre Carreras...

JR
                          Justin Reed
                          aka Reedminor
                          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                          1961 356B #114700
                          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Justin

On Clydes recommendation, I recently fitted a new set of Klippan K6254 belts with short centre stalk (170mm). They are just fantastic. Purchased through Bursons at cost of $150. The centre stalks attach to the seats (original seat mounting points) and the belts attach to either seat or floor.
                            Peter Williams #049
                            Secretary TYP901
                            1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Peters right, they are great belts but not really period for your car. I have the same ones in the Targa.

Stoddards sell seatbelt kits maybe you can check them out on their web site or start a new thread as someone has probably done more homework than me on the subject
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President
                              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                              X