Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swb rear seat belt provision

Evening gents

I need to instal rear seat belts in my swb 912 for the kids. I can find two securing points within the bottom pan of the rear seat belt area.

Does anyone know if there is an original provision for a third mount under the parcel shelf? I can't seem to find anything although it's difficult to access to see clearly.

Not sure what year you have Roland, but on the early cars. they are lap only

Comment

Thanks merv. 68. Sounds like lap belts it is!

Comment

Of course Roland- the new one! I have some of the original 68 ones with the silver, crested buckles. I think AASE still has these. New webbing is easy to add if you have the buckles. However if you are fitting the belts as 'occasional' (to get more car time with the kids) then any approved, Australian standard new lap belt will do. I have a spare set of these if that helps.

Comment

'68 should have a shoulder harness mount on the rear parcel shelf. '67 and earlier did not. It is reasonably easy to retrofit a point if your car doesn't have one for some reason.
          Cam

Comment

Mine doesn't have one Cam. Also the metal thickness on the rear shelf is pretty thin.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada51 View Post
              '68 should have a shoulder harness mount on the rear parcel shelf. '67 and earlier did not. It is reasonably easy to retrofit a point if your car doesn't have one for some reason.
              Cam
              My 68 has these.

See attch below of mounts from spare part.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by mrar; 11-11-16, 01:13 PM.
              Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada51 View Post
                Cam
                My 68 also has the shoulder attachment...
                John Forcier
                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                Restoration Saga
                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Interesting they seem missing from my US-delivered 68. The car was delivered with lap belts only. Porsche: consistently inconsistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                    Interesting they seem missing from my US-delivered 68. The car was delivered with lap belts only. Porsche: consistently inconsistent.
                    Indeed, as mine is also US delivered, but has exactly what Sean has posted...
                    John Forcier
                    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                    Restoration Saga
                    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Curiouser and curiouser ... Looking at the images above there may have been a bracket under the rear deck on some during '68, but I have never seen an image on a sash belt actually fitted on an early car. If fitted, they were laps only on all the original ESR images I can see. Also, if a sash belt was fitted to the shown bracket, and an inertia reel installed, above the deck, that would need to be close to dead level to work properly I suspect. Would not the under the deck mount shown above deform with a strong bolt and bend the deck lid?
                      Last edited by Merv; 11-11-16, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I thought that while that mounting bolt is on the rear parcel panel on 68+cars it was never used for a lap / sash belt and all rear seat belts (where they existed) on early cars at least were lap belts only
                        Hugh Hodges
                        1973 E
                        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

I've never seen the sash belts fitted in the rear but they do have the mount as in post #7. I must admit it's difficult to see how it could be used to practically mount a belt, but I've never seen one in person or had experience mounting a belt to them. It would be fair to say the belt mount points in early cars more generally leave a lot to be desired from a comfort, safety and practicality point of view! Maybe the mount points are missing from early MY68 production cars? That's what happened with the four screw horn grills on MY66 cars, ie some later production ones had two screw grills.

Seems there's a lot of '68 owners here!

Cam

Comment

My 4/68 built car has the parcel shelf mounts and I fitted ADR approved lap / sash belts in the back for my kids - they work great.

(It was delivered / kardex says front lap/sash belts left and right only - the parcel shelf mount threads were filled in with a heavy putty that had to be dug out)

Comment

Mounts in early production for 68 my au del was included, build date 8/67.
                              Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Working...
                              X