Factory sending cars out for Mt Bulla Sprints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory sending cars out for Mt Bulla Sprints

A small article in todays Herald Sun Cars Guide mentioned the factory will be sending out six historic cars to participate in the Mt Bulla and Shannons Phillip Island events next year.

I wonder what they will be sending over?

Spoke to Klaus Bischof over Christmas, and he said he was bringing 5 cars to the Mt Buller Sprint.

He mentioned he would bring that they may bring a 904, the 550 that he uses a lot, as well as a 356 of some description, probably the 356GT, then he mumbled a bit as I think he was enjoying Christmas lunch too much and it was loud, but he is definitely bringing five cars

He also mentioned that Stewart and I may get to drive one, so I can only hope with everything crossed!

Should be a massive event this year, third running, and 140 cars. Considering that there were only 30 of us in the first year, things have changed!!!
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Are there any 901 people planning to go and watch the action....

Is it spectator friendly?

I am thinking about a "family" weekend and want to know if its worth the effort?

Thanks

Andrew

Comment

Andrew,

I'm thinking about it... should have everything in place by the end of the week.

Justin R
        Justin Reed
        aka Reedminor
        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
        1961 356B #114700
        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

First post for 06!
          Buller is a great spectator event. If you are up in the village you can see from when the cars enter the village all the way to the finish.
          Spectator Point 1 and 2 are also good, as they provided a bit of action.
          Looking forward to it again!
          Alex Webster

Comment

Alex,

Any accommodation recommendations??? Assuming its not already booked out.

I've not yet looked at a map and worked out distances...

Justin R
            Justin Reed
            aka Reedminor
            1961 356B #114700

Comment

This late may be fun, but the Mt Buller Chalet is the main venue for accommodation. There are numerous other ones up there, just go to www.mtbuller.com.au and there is a link there to the accommodation up there.
              Most are not that cheap as it is the long weekend, but sure to have fun and see some amazing cars. Jim Richards is back to defend, pretty sure Alex Davison will be there as well, plus the 'usual suspects' of the Porsche fraternity, with all the Porsche Museum cars as well. Should be a great event
              Best of luck, may see you there.
              Look out for the yellow 356!
              Alex Webster

Comment

RS Chassis #.......1269

Well for those that have not been past, all the Porsche Museum cars are at Porsche Centre at the moment, the 904, RSK, 550, 356, and Formula 2 car, all in Silver, looking incredible. They will be there till mid next week when they head to Buller.

Was at scrutineering on Tuesday and James Calvert Jones had an RS which he claimed to be real, it had chassis number ending 1269, white with red decals, seemed a little larger in the rear end, and had some serious bits on it including a massive front strut brace, 10k tacho etc, RHD and sunroof.

Is this car real, or is it the one that I saw at the Sandown Historics earlier last year. He has had the car for about 9 months, and has been fanging it around Winton and Calder a fair bit in the last few months... anyone? Hugh? Has Victorian rego, and will find out more about it over the Buller weekend.

I know Marcus and Andrew V are coming up, should be a great event - Woo hoo!!
                Alex Webster

Comment

From memory real RS's have "_360_" at the beginning of their chassis number- check the rego sticker or the chassis no itself if you can get under the hood.

Cheers

Comment

Alex

If it is RS #1269 (ie 9113601269) I don't know it as a car in Australia but it started life as a German delivery LHD yellow car.

#1255 used to be out here - not sure if it still is. Andrew Farmer used to own it in the late 90's. It was a RHD hong kong delivery that came to Aust in the early 80's after being badly repaired in HK after a big crash.

It would be interesting to find out about this one
                    Hugh Hodges
                    1973 E
                    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

I pretty sure this is the Calvert-Jones RS at classic Adelaide last year
                      Attached Files
                      MichaelJapp
                      71E
                      Typ901 #065
                      EarlyS #798

Comment

from this distance that looks like the RS clone that Matt Stoupas put together with the 2.9999999 in it :wink:
                        Matt had it for a while , i think Greg Cooke had it after that and it has gone thru a lot of hands.
                        the hint in the pics are the rear guards that used to regularly blister with the tyre rub , the sunroof and the mirrors
                        Also if that is the car it does have a massive strut brace and plastic windows (except for the windscreen)
                        The front end and the graphics look the same as well

Mike
                        what do you think? do you know that car.? it was built in about 1997? 1998? from memory (before Matt had the blue 993RS that they took to bathurst)
                        Hugh Hodges
                        1973 E
                        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hugh you could be right, it sure looks like it, the mirrors and roof are almost enough to give it away.

Comment

Hugh,

If that is Matt's old 2.9999999 litre car (and I think it is too), I remember that Matt was still working for Spyder when he was starting to collect the parts to build the car. His engine was a sister engine to Ken Price's...with a few alterations. The engine was mapped out whilst Matt was still with us (he pretty much went from Spyder straight into Weltmeister with Ben). A lot of the engine work Mike and/or Dad did with Matt off and on. I think the car took a couple of years longer though - probably finished around 1994 from memory.

Comment

Mark Goddard and Phil Mas are down there this weekend. I had planned to be there but the plans fell through. For those at the Nats in 2005 Mark was my co-pilot in the Green 911L

Just got off the phone from them at the top of Mt Bulla...

Mark reckons its was a frightening bit of road. How Jim Richards or Alex Davison do sub 9 minutes is beyond him.

Watch out for Dean Herridge in the Sti though...

Justin R
                              Justin Reed
                              aka Reedminor
                              1961 356B #114700

Comment

Working...
                              X