68L engine rebuild at PCM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

68L engine rebuild at PCM

Dropped off US 911L at PCM for first going over.

Good news was told it was 2nd one built and maybe a show car in US - they are researching car.

Alloy engine cases.

Bad news was the S upgrades were not done properly.
    No IDS Webers which I knew. But S spec heads ok.
    Cam was more aggressive than S cam which will be brought back to S spec.

So full tear down to ensure bottom end can cope with new mahle S pistons and barrels.
    Galleries to be checked that oil mods are right for Carrera tensioners.
    Distributor to be rebuilt. New flywheel too. Nitrided rocker shafts also needed.

Peter is a great person to deal with on the car.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.
    Last edited by mario lanza; 23-02-17, 03:09 PM.
    [B]M.P.Lanza

Mmmmm nice

Comment

Nice pics Mario.
      Is that galling between the cylinder head and the top of the barrel?

Comment

not sure what galling is!? to quote miss Hanson of One Nation please explain?!
        [B]M.P.Lanza

Comment

Is PCM Porsche Cars Melbourne?
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President
          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by mario lanza View Post
            not sure what galling is!? to quote miss Hanson of One Nation please explain?!
            I was tempted to look it up so that I would seem clever but I think it is what you get when two materials in contact with each under pressure move and cause damage to the surface?
            Your pics seem to show damage at the contact point between the cylinder head and the barrel, on a couple of the photos, I guess just ordinary corrosion could be another cause?

Comment

PCM trying to break into the Porsche Classic market, not going to be "reasonably priced" then.
              Paul M

Comment

Yes Clyde Porsche at Melbourne.

Peter has been wonderful on Carrera and now this car.

On pricing they are trying to get parts at special pricing with PCA involved as they said 1.5 years ago that they want us back in the dealership for PR reasons.

I accept we have lots of great independents too.

Sold my rough green 70 targa with 2.4 t/e for $51.5k tonight to someone with reputedly over 20 901 cars in warehouse.

Will get back to you guys on corrosion question after asking Peter!
                [B]M.P.Lanza

Comment

They have a lower "Classic labour rate" only $135 an hour I think
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President
                  Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by mario lanza View Post
                    Yes Clyde Porsche at Melbourne.

Peter has been wonderful on Carrera and now this car.

On pricing they are trying to get parts at special pricing with PCA involved as they said 1.5 years ago that they want us back in the dealership for PR reasons.

I accept we have lots of great independents too.

Sold my rough green 70 targa with 2.4 t/e for $51.5k tonight to someone with reputedly over 20 901 cars in warehouse.

Will get back to you guys on corrosion question after asking Peter!
                    Did you have that car on here for sale Mario? I must of missed it. 20 early 901's hey. Collecting for a rainy day they must

Comment

No did not advertise car as it was not for sale! I think the informal rule for members of advertising at least first on the forum is a wonderful rule. But i wrote off the family car and someone knocked on the door of a friends house when the car was out the front. I had been told by others of someone in the north from a particular background with that many 911's and i was sceptical but he literally knocked on the door at a dinner. I do expect that the cars are not top tier cars as mine was a rough car but i do expect his motto of "they are my super" is genuine. For what its worth i think he loves his cars - as an aside. I do apologise if the process i adopted was not right.

I have scott mcpherson's 70t targa also sitting idle if that floats your boat!
                      [B]M.P.Lanza

Comment

I say 'no harm, no foul'. If someone knocks on your door cold and offers an attractive number no one in their right mind would expect you to say 'hang on, i just need to put it up for sale on my club's website forst'!!!
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Not implying anything mate. Cash is king and most cars these days don't get advertised. I thought I may have missed it.
                          Seems a good price.
                          Scotty gets around doesn't he!!!

Comment

I'll be following thins with interest Mario....

jr
                            Justin Reed
                            aka Reedminor
                            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                            1961 356B #114700
                            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Next chapter in PCM 2.0 engine rebuild.

Cases great - no machining no line boring. See half case photo 1. Alloy looks like new!

Bottom end is great - journals great and bearings too - no undersize / concentricity . Note counterweighted crank. Ready for S top end. See photo 2.

S heads in solvent bath. See photo 3.

PISTON AND CYLINDER CHOICE ?

OPTION 1 - bore the steel barrels to 80.5mm and put in Wossner forged racing pistons - approx $1,500 plus machining costs

OPTION 2 - LN Nickies - US made alloy pistons and cylinders - with alleged extra heat dissipation - approx $5k

OPTION 3 - MAHLE OEM style S forged pistons and cylinders with alloy nicasil cylinders - approx $5-8k

Peter, was most concerned with heat transfer, and given no external rad (as per S) thought best to stay away from the Wossner option even though they are a top piston.

LN was regarded as a good product but the claimed heat benefit of Nickies perhaps was thought to be in comparison to a non alloy porsche barrel!

So quick search for Mahle motorsport S pistons and cylinders in 80mm (forged, alloy and nicasil coated) showed prices from about $4,800 to $7,500. Order made from Euro supplier as U.S. suppliers were far pricier.

DRIVEABILITY V. ORIGINALITY ?

A prominent L owner and I discussed the 2.2 piston option ( the additional cc and torque on an S cam would be more driveable) but I felt the SWB and 2.0 displacement was a key signature of the early cars. No right answer here i guess.

Another drivability option was a less aggressive spec cam - obviously an E cam coming to mind. Peter at PCM felt that the S heads need the more aggressive cam to breathe correctly - so no compromise there either?

Well, to prove i am not a pedant we are keeping the carrera tensioners - but the block is being modified to ensure they get the correct oil pressure which sometimes is overlooked (as on this one). Soo to the oil pump.

Any questions or suggestions welcomed.
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 7 photos.
                              [B]M.P.Lanza

Comment

Working...
                              X