No announcement yet.

Man seeks car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe that's a new thread Merv. Perhaps as a group we could produce a production number amount list of all 356's and 911's up to 1985 delivered to Australia?
    That would be a very handy document for the club.

Comment

Could be Jim. It would be interesting to know the numbers of Australian Delivered, and possibly known Imports of RHD SWB, LWB and early IBs. 356s as well as 912's. Hugh would have much of the data already on the early 911's and 912s I suspect. I checked the Database and Car Registry on this 'site and there are no such lists or data at this stage that I could see. One could trawl through the ESR list, the 912 Forum list and so on but many may not be there. See what people think.

Comment

Very true. That's what we have Hugh for and what a magnificent job he does as well.

Comment

No one seems to know the number of 912 delivered to Australia.
          I have full details of 356.

Comment

Can you possibly email the 356 details to me Chris? I have Geoff Starkey's history story already on these. Do you have that?

Seems Porsche constructed more than 32,000 of the Type 912 from April 1965 to July 1969, but there are no data on RHD numbers I can see.
            Last edited by Merv; 08-03-17, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I only have scattered data on the 912's. I suspect that up until about 1968 or maybe 1969 there may have been as many or more 912's delivered in Australia than 911's. Hamilton was very keen on the 912's and also the T's when there was a choice between T E and S. However the records have not been kept and prior to 1969 NONE of the records are in a form that is able to be used to extract that sort of information. That changed in 1969 with a different ordering system. for example for 1967 i have a letter from the late 1980's stating that Hamiltons brought in 32 cars that year but their records do not enable them to break down what types and what number of each.

I do have data for 1969 - there were 11 912's ordered compared to 38 911T's 21 911E's and 5 911S's

prior to that I think the total number of 912's I have recorded is about 16 - but it is not something I have concentrated on. Maybe if a few people put their resources together a more complete list could be compiled. I would be happy to contribute my list of them (small as it is)
              Last edited by HughH; 08-03-17, 04:11 PM.
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Australian TYP 901 Register #005
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

All in all then Hugh, very few 912's sold in Australia between 65 and 69? No wonder they are hard to find here.

Comment

I'd say more 912's sold in 65-67 - possibly as high as 50%. A lot were converted in the 70's and 80's to 911's

The cost differential between a 356C and a 911 was very large - and the 912 filled the breach in all markets until the market got used to the situation.

JR
                  Justin Reed
                  aka Reedminor
                  1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                  1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                  1961 356B #114700
                  Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Some numbers on 912's used to be mentioned in the ad below, but have been removed. It used to claim that this was the only Aust delivered 912 in 1967, and that there was something like 8 delivered in to Australia between 1965 and '68. Seemed like really low numbers, and they now no longer appear in the ad:

For the future reference:
                    1967 912, VIN 354398
                    The reads:
                    1967 Australian Delivered, Factory RHD Porsche 912.
                    As confirmed by Porsche Australia, Chassis 354398 was sold new in November of 1966, through Hamilton's Porsche and delivered in Virginia Brown with beige interior and pepita inserts and with a 5 speed gearbox. It was optioned with a polaroid windscreen and steel wheels. The car spent a majority of it's life in Victoria before going to Queensland where it remained in storage and unused. The previous owner purchased the car from Queensland and set about to build a 912 "outlaw /hotrod". The car was completely rebuilt and resprayed in Tangerine. The engine sourced was a 2.7L running Webber's and headers while retaining it's 5 speed gearbox. It also has;
                    - MSD ignition
                    - Limited Slip Diff
                    - 911S Suspension and adjustable Koni shocks
                    - 911S Brakes
                    - Adjustable front and rear sway bars
                    - Fibreglass front and rear bumpers
                    - Genuine 6 and 7 inch Fuchs
                    - BF Torrino Bielstein seats with pepita inserts
                    - RS door cards / lightweight interior
                    - RS 10K rpm Tacho

The car comes with a rebuilt 1600cc 912 engine, as well as a complete set of green face 66/67 stamped gauges, rear (L&R) steel bumpers, rear overriders and rear number plate panel. I have accumulated all these parts during my ownership with the intention of one day returning the car to its original condition. It is also on full NSW rego and valid until August 2017.

Comment

That info was lifted directly from a thread over on PFA.
                      The information was incorrect and when this was brought to the sellers attention he deleted it from the ad.

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                        Minty Aussie 68 912 came up in QLD today on carsales
                        Hi guys, does anyone have any history on this car?
                        Erwin Tan
                        TYP 901 Member #467
                        72 911T Coupe

IG @motorclassique

Comment

Yeh ,
                          that was wrong, it was 4. One per year.
                          Jap del 75 911 lhd 3.2

Comment

Originally posted by Skins View Post

Hi guys, does anyone have any history on this car?
                            Sorry, no.
                            well bought though

Comment

Working...
                            X