Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melbourne 73e Targa listed on carsales

This one just came up in my new listing alert today
    http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2808370

I don't think the post likes the ! in the url, so cut and paste it

Gee, that's not a bad price. Wonder if it's Aussie delivered...

Comment

It is a bit hard to tell if it is a local delivery without the numbers. But there were 8 5sp E targas (and another 12 sportos) in 73 and NONE of them were red. In fact red was not a popular colour in 73 and this does not look like a 73 colour - much more like a 1980's Guards red repaint

If anyone gets the numbers I will check it with the database to see if it shows as Aust delivery.
      It is pretty hard to tell anything from those photos though ( except it seems to have an original dash - a good sign), the front spoiler is wrong - may be a fiberglass RS clone one ( but if you are really lucky it might be a steel one), wheels look wrong but maybe its just the way they are painted (or not painted)
      Hugh Hodges
      1973 E
      Australian TYP 901 Register #005
      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

i have sent the owner an email so I will see what we get. Looks like poorly retrimmed sports seats also and if its Aussie likely to have the 85 litre tank as most were set up with S trim spec for Aust delivery.
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President
        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Surely not! ...or maybe the dream has come true of someone really not knowing what they have? Even if it was a UK import, for the money they are asking it might be worth considering.

I have also sent them an email, but not holding my breath. Will let everyone know the result.

Cheers

Rich
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

The fact that it only has a durant (?) mirror on the right hand side would indicate that it is a factory RHD? Or is this just silly logic on my part?

Rich
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Careful here!

I know this car. Last time I saw it which was a couple of years ago it was tired...very tired. I have at lot of info on it at work, but won't be back in the office until next week.

Buyer beware - this one needed a bucket load of money thrown at it when I last saw it....the ask price doesn't make this one a bargain.

Cheers,
              Lisa

Comment

I guess once Lisa has confirmed on what is a "bucket load of money" we might then best be able to determine if this is a good buy or not.

from my view point the price is very attractive whether it is an English import (or LHD conversion), either way, attractive price for an E (assuming all the E bits are there including the sport seats)

Rust would be the only issue that would stop me from buying at that price.... (engines, drive trains and other mechanical are not really the problem from my experience)..

Shane

Comment

Shane, Rich et al...

I say all of this without prejudice...

Firstly, why is a RWC not applicable for this car in the ad? Cos it won't get one that's why! Unless of course a minor miracle has occurred and a **** load of repairs have been done which would then make me question the ask price :? .

The speedo stopped on this car eons ago. I do not know if it has been repaired. In any event the mileage stated in the ad would not be accurate...far from it. This car has done loads of miles; I'd guess 3 or 4 times around the clock (at least). Even though the "careful" lady owner loved her car to bits and the ad says full records etc...I know that budgetary constraints (whether necessary or not) meant that the works carried out on the car were never to the full satisfaction of the repairer and were bandaid fixes...for years. I haven't seen the car for probably 2 1/2 years now but working on it was always a struggle... thankfully the lady found a repairer more geographically convenient to her (with our blessing :wink: )

To quantify a bucketload of money...this car needs the sort of money spent that Clyde spent on his Targa without achieving the same result as this car has not been as well maintained as his was by its prior owners. I know that is saying something Clyde :wink: !

It is an English car from memory...rust and body fatigue are a major problem. When this car is on the hoist one cannot open and close its doors...it had no body strength and this is a big issue.

Buyer beware...this is one car I would not consider purchasing without being prepared to embark on a full scale resto. It was reasonable at best mechanically; we did a "budget" top end repair on the engine several years ago and I don't know whether anything further has been done since.

Shane says:
                  'Rust would be the only issue that would stop me from buying at that price.... (engines, drive trains and other mechanical are not really the problem from my experience).. '

Couple the rust and body fatigue with an engine that has not had an overhaul and has covered probably 400,000kms, suspension fatigue, gearbox wear etc etc the mechanicals will be an issue in the overall cost. This car needs 10s of 1000s of $$$ - it's a project; it's not even a driver in my book.

Run, don't walk from this one.... :evil:

Lisa

Comment

Well lets see you put your money up after that lot Shane!!!!!

"Bucket Load of Money"

I read int he dictionary the other day that it means:

" an in-ordinate amount of funds thrown at a motor vehicle in the vain hope of returning it to its former glory a long time after the funds should have been spent in the first case"

It has in brackets after that:

(Bucket from the ancient Greek meaning "too much")

Gees and it looked so nice in the pics
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

Ok Ok OK - that's why I confer with the GURU's of this board.....

That advice was worth a 120k at least by the sounds of things Clyde, how about another project mate you love those sorts of challenges.

Shane

Comment

ah, again validation on spending $70 to join this fine group of gurus!!

Can't believe that 6 months ago I was "flying blind"!!

Rich
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Guys,

Have you had replies to your enquiry emails to the seller? Just curious as to who is actually selling the car as the lady's name is not mentioned and she has been with the same fella for years and it's not his name either in the ad :? (maybe she's changed fellas :wink: )...

I would like to reiterate that we haven't seen this car for a couple of years so I can't give you a recent condition report, but knowing the myriad of issues with it I can't see how she would have addressed them given her reluctance to spend and the asking price in the ad.

If you're up for some idle tyre kicking then maybe go and have a look...this car has always looked quite good from 20 paces which would explain the nice pics (that and photoshop :twisted: )...the more cars you can look at, the more knowledge you will gain and hopefully the more savvy you will be when the right one comes along .

Lisa

Comment

Lisa

No reply yet... maybe he reads this board?!?

Will probably try and go have a look - as you say, it would at least be a good learning experience. If I do, I will try to find out who's selling it.

Cheers

Rich
                            Richard Griffiths
                            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

No word to me either
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President

Comment

Working...