Gold plating for lettering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold plating for lettering

Anyone know who does gold plating on die cast aluminium deck lid lettering?

I've tried a lot of places in Sydney and no one wants to touch it ... happy to send it interstate if anyone has a place they've used and can recommend?

Ben.

I just had mine powdercoated. I can take some pics and give you the colour I used as well if you need. They are repro ones as well.

Comment

Love to see some pics if you can post?
      I think the repro ones are quite dull in comparison to the original ... and trying to keep everything original to the car but restored where I can.

Comment

Mine are original and a bit scratched but hey that's patina that I like. Jim's look good.

Comment

Keep in mind that these are repro badges and they were peeling and quite nasty in quality.

I had no idea on what they looked like originally so I went with what I thought would look nice and stayed away from the highly polished look and tried to keep it a little retro

Comment

Comment

Wow, I was expecting to hate that but I reckon it looks great!

Although I understand that Elsporto is a lot more "correct" than you and I.

These look nice and cheap

Comment

Thanks guys - They both look good - although I am after the original "bling" factor with the shiney gold plate look.

Lucky I'm on the tail end of this resto ... it's starting to wear about as thin as the plating on my lettering ...

Comment

Update just in case someone is looking for similar services to me;

SEC Plating in Belmore NSW had my all my deck lid jewellery for over 6 months - the original P O R S C H E letters, the 911L badge and a gold Sportomatic badge, and apparently DISSOLVED THEM ALL COMPLETELY in acid..... even after being asked to stop the process and return the damaged parts to me.

Comment

Damn! That is terrible. Will they buy you a new set? If not can you use the small claims court to get restitution?

Comment

I had chroming done in Newcastle Ben - Craig Duthie helped me out ..... not badges though.

Just buy them from Stoddards or Sierra Madre.

JR
                      Justin Reed
                      aka Reedminor
                      1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                      1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                      1961 356B #114700
                      Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Hi Merv, I'm not sure .... to be fair, he warned that with the process the metal could be damaged, which I accepted.

However I am finding it hard to believe 9 separate pieces could be totally dissolved without a trace .... especially the day after I asked to have them returned to me ... when they'd had them for 6 months....

Justin - Sierra and Stoddards are a different profile and not the same finish as originals ... I've already found a NOS '911L' badge and silver 'sporto badge' but $400 USD later ...

Apparently someone in VIC who has recently done a silver sporto badge to gold with success so will look into it!

If anyone has some good P O R S C H E letters in gold they want to sell, let me know!

Comment

Sorry but I could give you the silver ones I have but they are not "L" and not Sporto ...

Comment

All good thanks Merv!

I actually dug through my stash and found a mint silver sporto badge, which is the hardest item to source .... hopefully I can get it plated gold at the place in VIC.

I also found a NOS 911L gold badge in the states, although it's not cheap!

And already another member has kindly pm'd with set of gold Porsche letters to take a look at too.

Almost back to square 1!

Comment

What a pain in the ring. I am sure it will eventually work out and all will be good in the end. Nothing is never easy is it. So, does anybody in the world make correct, excellent quality replacement badges? There is a market there for sure especially at the price for NOS

Comment

Working...
                              X