CDI units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDI units

An electrical engineer in Canada, Fred Winterburn, has been working with 6 and 12 classic cars for some years now and has developed a highly regarded CDI unit. The 356 guys are very impressed with his unit, particularly as it is one of the very few that work with 6 volt cars properly (Petronix and similar all are quite poor). The units would also work with early 911's and replace the reliance on fallible condensers (now made to a very short-life standard) and distributor points. At under AU$500 they will work with any distributor and coil and also allow the user to switch between the standard Kettering ignition system and the CDI and deliver far higher and more consistent voltage delivery. Reportedly with improved starting and reduced flooding. I am getting one for my 356 and if I didn't have an MSD in the 911, I would be getting one for that as well.

If you want some informative reading: http://www.capacitordischargeignition.com
    Last edited by Merv; 30-01-18, 06:32 PM.

Comment

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a partsklassic updated CDI fisted to an old one I have here, but now you’ve got me thinking.

thanks

Comment

The one Merv talks to seems cheaper but I liked the PartKlassic one because it also allowed for a rev limiter .........

Comment

Drop Fred an email Tony. Nice guy

Comment

i might just do........thanks for the lead

Comment

He knows his stuff winterburnignition@gmail.com and will answer any questions honestly.

Comment

I finally got around to fitting Fred Winterburn's CDI/6V on the 356/1600S. He also makes a 12v unit but 6v units that actually deliver at least 6V at start, are as rare as hens' teeth. His will delver a full spark as low as 3V. Very simple to fit and with some random comparison of the starting on CDI and on (switchable) STD/Kettering, the difference is very noticeable. It always started pretty well but now it is instantaneous with large spark from the outset. Smooth through the rev range, noticeably more power at low revs and no adjustment needed to the timing. Happy camper!
                IMG_20180305_114826.jpg
                Last edited by Merv; 08-03-18, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Nice and neat Merv........

Comment

we had a perma tune on my dad's 356.

then about 8 years ago it was removed, and we reverted back to standard, and to be honest the car is going as well as ever.

JR
                    Justin Reed
                    aka Reedminor
                    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                    1961 356B #114700
                    Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Yes Justin, there were and are, a few of those variants around - Permatune, Petronix, Brightspark, and so on. They all work in a similar way but few of them work very long with 6V systems and some even have problems with 12V. The main problem with them is significant voltage drop at start and the effect on the spark available. Most of us have ditched them at some stage. The Winterburn CDI has no such problem and produces a massive spark at startup even if the battery voltage is low. It can be switched between normal (Kettering) and CDI and when I compared the two at start and for low revs torque, the difference is very noticeable.
                      Last edited by Merv; 08-03-18, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X