Superannuation investment in classic cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superannuation investment in classic cars

I’ve seen a few references over the years to people investing their super in classic cars. I’ve had a look around online and understand the severe limitations on use etc. Can anyone recommend a financial adviser specifically and properly familiar with the ins and outs of the issues? I’ve had a chat to a couple of people but didn’t feel they had a genuine understanding of the issues.

Mitchell,

I remember this being discussed in detail on a post about a year or so ago.

Comment

Mitchell,

I don't propose to be an expert, but i had three cars in my SMSF. The guidelines I was given were very clear.
      1. cars can not reside at your residence
      2. cars can not be driven except for repairs
      3. cars can go to car shows, however it is grey on whether they are able to driven. The general consensus is no, they would have to trailered.
      4. Auditors of the fund prefer them to be registered so there is a title. (I fell into trouble on this one)
      5. The cars must be insured.
      6. Any work must be carried out by a third party. You can not restore one yourself.

Thats pretty much it. Its akin to having a piece of art in your SMSF, it cant be in your house for you to appreciate and benefit from.

Comment

I think , not allowed to be stored with a relative.

Comment

Thanks Tim, that reflects my understanding. . In my case my SMSF wd be buying my S off me. I assume that’s what you did too? Couple of people I spoke to got nervous at that point, altho my understanding is it’s not a problem as long as paying a realistic market value confirmed by 3rd party. I was hoping to find an adviser who advised around this as core business.

Comment

I was told that you cannot purchase the car from yourself. So that threw a bucket of water on my SMSF chapter. Rego (club), insurance, storage and annual maintenance would be up there in expenses.
            All that aside I couldn’t see a nice car hardly driven.

Comment

Originally posted by Cairns888 View Post
              I was told that you cannot purchase the car from yourself. So that threw a bucket of water on my SMSF chapter. Rego (club), insurance, storage and annual maintenance would be up there in expenses.
              All that aside I couldn'’t see a nice car hardly driven.
              Never driven by you, no matter what the circumstances, others can drive it to service and give a run but you cannot.

Yes unable to work on them yourself.

Last edited by Terminator; 08-02-18, 08:21 PM.
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

So in other words find a great mate, and get his SMSF to buy the car that you like, your SMSF buys the car that he likes, and voila - problem solved - drive each others cars. If only it were that simple.

Comment

Wonder why your SMSF can't buy your car?

Comment

presumably have to be pretty comfortable that the investment in your p-car is going to be a good one over the long term compared to cash, property, shares and so on...

strikes me that at the technological pace we're running at, our cars could well be seen as the environmental devil by the time i hit retirement... which may impact on how much the smsf can sell it for to fund my nursing home bed.
                    Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Yeah very good point .... I keep thinking I'll pass my car on to my kids when I am too old to manage it, but reality is in 40 years time we'll be unable to road registered or drive these cars ... probably more like in 20 years time.

Comment

Sell up now and buy BitCoins !
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                        Early 911-S Registry # 690
                        R-Gruppe # 367
                        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Or drive it and enjoy it
                          Justin Reed
                          aka Reedminor
                          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                          1961 356B #114700
                          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Alas gents, it's not that simple. The SMSF rules around 'collectables' changed a few years ago and most had to be removed (sold) out of the fund by June last year. 'In house' assets are limited to 5% of the fund value so you would need a pretty healthy balance.

Comment

Originally posted by BrettD View Post
                              Alas gents, it's not that simple. The SMSF rules around 'collectables' changed a few years ago and most had to be removed (sold) out of the fund by June last year. 'In house' assets are limited to 5% of the fund value so you would need a pretty healthy balance.
                              If that is the case then one of the biggest Accounting Auditors in Vic has a real problem as they have no issue with the few cars I have in Super.!!!

Cars held before Jul1 2011 had until June 30, 2016 to comply with the new rules but providng you follow the rules it is OK

I think some record of buying and selling for a gain helps your case to meet the solely for retirement benefits clause
                              Last edited by Terminator; 21-02-18, 03:28 PM.
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President
                              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                              X