912 battery in brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

912 battery in brisbane

Hi All. Time for a new battery for the '67 912. its been living a relatively sedentary lifestyle whilst getting a house reno completed, and cant be charged back to life this time.

Currently it has an AC DELCO S54316 (380 SAE CCA, 43 AH) which is fairly squar'ish compared to the battery tray by the looks of it.

My interweb searching tells me that options can include (i) optima yellowtop D51R; (ii) 90's mazda mx5 battery; or just grab a local battery to the right dimensions (about 125 x 200-230 x 200-230). I also popped through supercheap yesterday and their computer said Century DIN65L 580CCA 277x175x175 which seems rather chunky.

I'm not worried about light weight or $$$ options - I feel sure I wont notice any benefits.

Any easy recommendations for Brisbane?

Cheers
    Steve

Steve, I have an 84Ah battery on the 6V 356. However, it seems that there is some difference in the way these are calculated now days and most are 77Ah. I believe that Bosch has started selling their old batteries again 6v/77ah and 6v/84ah. See http://www.bosch-classic.com/en/inte...zeugsuche.html

These are good batteries and will last longer. Should be available in Brisbane.

They key to good starting is to fit an easily made starter relay. I can send you a diagram if needed.

Comment

Thanks Merv. From that website I see they propose the Bosch F026T02310 battery which is 44Ah but quite large 210x175x175. On the general bosch website they propose the S5-51R (same 51R size as the optima, 42Ah, 500CCA).

Maybe I should also check if I have, or need a relay kit as you say: https://www.5150motorsport.com/12-vo...y-kit-wr1.html (Hmmm not sure how this web link works on this forum)

Cheers
      Steve
      Porsche part # WR1-MS19 - 12 Volt Hard Start Relay Kit Bosch - Usually ships in 1-3 business days

Comment

aah there you go, the weblink shows up after you post, but not in the preview. all good.

Comment

Bit more research leads me to the Autobarn Supercharge Gold plus batteries. They have a MF55B24LS battery which is 236x128x200-220h 490 CCA and 40 months warranty for $175

Comment

Sounds big? As I mentioned a starter relay shortens the resistance for current to the solenoid giving better starting. And on the 912 I suspect that like the 356 T6, there is a bronze bushing on the bell housing where the starter pushes through that can get tight (or loose) also.

Comment

The battery tray in the 912 is about 255 long, 130-150 wide, and a height of 230 looks fine (i.e. clear of bonnet). So a long narrow battery appears to be the go. The supercharge battery I noted is almost identical size to the optima yellowtop D51R which some people seem to use in the US.

It appears that the wide short batteries (as currently in my car, and called up by some battery finder specs) might be based on a 911 - presumably they had stubbier batteries, perhaps when they had twin batteries - I really dont know?

Comment

Sounds perfect Steve. You have a 12V system of course. With 6V things are more difficult. Either way I always like to fit one of these on my cars.

Comment

Cheers Merv. Ill look into the relay option.

Comment

How did you go with your battery? I have an NRMA 2135 in my 68 912 and have been very happy with it. It's 230mmx120mmx200mm, so fits neatly in the tray. There is also a protective cover and fixing strap for the battery, do you have them? You can get them through Porsche or suppliers like Stoddards. Putting in the relay has helped as well
                    Joyce

68 912
                    85 911 Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Ossi Blue View Post
                      How did you go with your battery? I have an NRMA 2135 in my 68 912 and have been very happy with it. It's 230mmx120mmx200mm, so fits neatly in the tray. There is also a protective cover and fixing strap for the battery, do you have them? You can get them through Porsche or suppliers like Stoddards. Putting in the relay has helped as well
                      Battery fit in nicely thanks. Very similar sized to your setup - possibly originally for same car.
                      A proper protective cover & fixing strap would also be nice. To add to my list of future purchases if money permits
                      Have a relay, and will look into installing it soon.

I should drive the bloody thing more often to justify purchases. Another (slow) trip up Mt Glorius is on the cards I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X