Weight Difference; Steel vs flat 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight Difference; Steel vs flat 6?

I've read that the 6X15 steel wheel is heavier than the equivalent flat 6 fuch rim. Has anybody measured the weight differential? My car was delivered with Steel wheels, but rides on the Fuchs - i'll be looking for a set of Steel's.

Steel wheels are super heavy, although I just grabbed a Fuchs wheel, they are no lightweight either, not sure there would be much in it.
    Last edited by 9er; 03-06-18, 03:07 PM.

Comment

On the weights the "deep 6" wheels are 5.7 kgs, I dont have a weight for flat 6's but the later center prong 6x15's are 5.4 kgs (i suspect the flat 6's are between the two in weight. but closer to the center prongs)
      the only weight i have for steel wheels is for the 4.5 x 15's that is 7.5kgs and 8.7kgs for the 5.5's
      Hugh Hodges
      1973 E
      Australian TYP 901 Register #005
      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

This has some info http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...h-steel-wheels

10 lbs difference per wheel or 40 lbs extra unsprung weight for the steelies over Fuchs (P3 above) Also on the same page is a link to an ally copy of steel wheels
        Last edited by Merv; 06-06-18, 02:22 PM.

Comment

You can get light weight alloy wheels in 15 x 6 that look like the steel wheels ... I've forgotten the name of the company that do them but will try to dig it up.

Comment

Thanks guys, are you referring to the 904 Steel / Alloy re-production factory rims? If so, I have seen them for sale, and at 2250 GBP per rim they are right off the charts in terms of cost. Is there another manufacturer with a more realistic proposition, or are you referring to another (alloy) wheel entirely?

Comment

You can buy repro or refurb wheels wheels here

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com...ed-p19697.html

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com...15-p22237.html

I recently bought a set of 5 wheels for 1150 USD plus another 800 USD for re chroming plus shipping of another $600USD I expect given the weights and size.
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

These guys say they make alloy reproductions for early 911's https://www.alloyreplicas.com

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                  These guys say they make alloy reproductions for early 911's https://www.alloyreplicas.com
                  Yes that's the place I was referring too as well Merv. I mailed for a price but haven't heard back.

Comment

A lot if what I read on early S is correct $2500 USD I think
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

Wow.

Bummer as I'd love a couple of 6's for rear of my car. At that price I'd rather get original 7R's.

I've mailed again - will post once I have an answer.

Comment

Thanks Elsporto... I was thinking they may had made a mistake. Please let us know what they say, they may even consider a group discount?

Comment

Okay so I asked about 15x6's and also 15 x 7's in the 7R offset - Chris wrote back last night and said this;

Ben, Our model C's polished start at $3300 for a set of 15x6's. The 5.5" wide is a custom width and is another $200 per wheel to make those. We also have 7 and 8" wide and we adjust our offsets in .125" increments.

So seems like 5.5's would be $4,100 a set.

I've asked to clarify that the 7's and 8's are $3,300 - sounds like they could do a 7R off set to fit under a swb rear guard.

I've also asked what cost for different finishes ....

Comment

USD???? plus shipping plus duty plus GST
                            Clyde Boyer
                            TYP 901 Register Inc.
                            President

Comment

You buying wheels again Ben?
                              Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Working...
                              X