Pedal assembly rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pedal assembly rebuild

Cleaning up and replacing plastic bushes with bronze. Pic is set up without any bushes or springs etc except for the 2 (plastic) bushes the accelerator rod sits in . Clutch spring (shown) is busted so I'll need to replace that and everything will be tidied up and painted/powder coated.

Question: when set up I can move the accelerator rod from left to right about 8-10mm as per pics. Is this normal or shd there be another bush or something that eliminates/minimises that lateral movement?

Thanks

Mitchell

IMG_2182.jpgIMG_2181.jpg
    Attached Files

Mitchell, I’ve just upgraded my pedal box from sportomatic to manual, I had that movement you are talking about too. I replaced all bushes as you said and reinstalled.

That clutch return spring is NLA everywhere. Had a lot of trouble sourcing. But I did find one out of a mob in Germany. At this point grab a seat and sit down.

Spring was 33 Euro and shipping was 52 Euro. They wouldn’t budge on shipping, much to my annoyance
    so that little spring ends up at your door for roughly $130 Aussie.

Sportwagen was the website, if you feel the need to get rid of some cash.
    Kane Kennedy
    Typ 901 Register #204
    71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Sorry the rip off mob is Sportwagen Eckert
      Kane Kennedy
      Typ 901 Register #204
      71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Thanks, much appreciated Kane.

Comment

Only bush shown at that end is item 23, that’s all you require
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Kane Kennedy
          Typ 901 Register #204
          71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Should point out if your after L/H drive spring, they are very easy to find EBay, pelican etc.
            Kane Kennedy
            Typ 901 Register #204
            71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Noted thanks Kane, this ones RHD

Comment

Bit confused by the role of this spring, I wd think is designed to pull the clutch pedal towards the driver so it rests against the rubber buffer stop? Like the spring on the brake pedal?
                But when I look at the pic I can’t see how it can do anything other than put pressure on the rod so it rotates the pedal AWAY from the driver??
                6B6A012A-C6B8-4AAE-B624-E87DAE87A31A.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Kane k View Post
                  Sorry the rip off mob is Sportwagen Eckert
                  Bit of a side track but Sportwagon Eckert also just charged me 60 Euro to ship a $500 porsche badge to the USA .... wouldn't budge at all and even cancelled the order when their bank took a $20 transaction fee on their end!

Slow to reply, and never with complete info. Hated dealing with them....

Comment

I had a similar issue with Design 11. For two decals (envelope size) they wanted 25 pounds (!) for postage, despite my appealing. I cancelled the order, posted on forums and bought elsewhere. I had a very good experience with Sportswagen a few years ago with a dashboard and comparatively low freight. Seems they are all gouging these days.

Comment

In all fairness to Sportwagen, I found them great to deal with, it’s just that policy on shipping. They believe it must be fully insured international freight, and look they probably have been burnt on their side of things, so now they just make everyone pay. it just doesn’t add up on small items that should cost bugger all to send.

Mitchell I must admit that after all the effort of acquiring that bloody spring, I was asking myself the same questions you are. I can’t really see what point it serves too.
                      Kane Kennedy
                      Typ 901 Register #204
                      71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Mitchell I have a bronze set of bushings, but I think you have those.

Comment

No I do not yet Merv, I’ll give you a call

Comment

Originally posted by Kane k View Post
                            Mitchell I must admit that after all the effort of acquiring that bloody spring, I was asking myself the same questions you are. I can’t really see what point it serves too.
                            One of the ends has broken off mine - I’m going to try and bend a new end. Best case I’ll have a spring with less tension (1 less coil) - considering there was no spring at all and it worked that sounds ok. Worst case I’ll fail and have to buy a new spring.

From parts diagrams looks to me like they changed the design later from the torsion spring to an extension spring between the actual clutch pedal and the pedal assembly body.

Comment

I can only speculate that it’s function is to maintain a level of tension on the clutch cable so when you put your foot on the pedal you don’t have a bit of initial free play.

Comment

Working...
                              X