Electronic Speedo trap for middle aged punter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Speedo trap for middle aged punter

When I purchased my 1973 911T it had a later electronic speedo fitted, even though the engineers certificate for the 3 Litre conversion said original gearbox retained (915 5 speed). I assumed that my gearbox had been swapped out when the engine conversion was done all those years ago to a latter 915 with electronic pick up for the speedo.
    I wanted a original look to my dash so the latter speedo and needle was never going to cut it, at some expense I got a nice backdated rebuilt electronic speedo from the States.
    My car has been at a retired Auto Electrician's home (country NSW) for 3 weeks getting all the 80's electrical crap removed 2 x alarms, immobiliser, central locking and CRUISE CONTROL. I sent him my nice shiny electronic backdated speedo to fit last week and he tells me why didn't I just put back a mechanical type speedo? Some genius back in the 80's got some magic little electronic box at the end of my speedo drive from my original 915 gearbox, so that the crappy cruise control could work. So I now I have, 2 x Electronic speedos, no 1973 mechanical speedo, but the original 915 gearbox (7339969 yes it's the original). We are going with the backdated speedo for now, and the little magic electronic box will remain for a bit longer.
    Not sure how I feel, maybe a bit stupid and maybe a bit lucky; but I should have done some more checking before parting with my hard earned for bits that look correct ,where I could have had purchased bits that were correct.............
    Geoff in Sydney (54 years old and still learning as I go)
    Last edited by ITS-911; 05-06-18, 07:41 AM.

Ah, welcome to the ‘bought a part that you don’t need club’ Geoff.

Comment

I’m an old aged punter and the mistakes aren’t decreasing.

Comment

Can I ask who is doing the back date in the States ?

Comment

We have all been there Geoff...positive news is your gearbox is still there and you can actually read the number as on most 915 boxes the number has long been ground off.
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President
          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Bruce the chap who did the backdated Speedo for me in the USA was John Jefferson can be contacted vespa_1004@yahoo.com

Comment

Thank you Geoff !

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                We have all been there Geoff...
                and it doesn't seem to matter; young, not so young, almost middle aged, aged or whatever... we've all ended up there!!!!!
                Richard Griffiths
                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Some of us still frequent there - Guilty your honor

Comment

I have this brand new head light dash switch ... that never was used ... We all miss the target at some stage.

Comment

Working...
                    X