Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking Out

Hi Guys

Just a quick note to pass on regards before my membership lapses and I can't post.

I first started with my old blue car in 1999, I joined the Qld Porsche Club and was immediately pitied and looked down at for driving an old sh!tbox Porsche - I LOVED that attitude towards me but there was no real help amongst that crowd. This site became a 'go to' where I found like minded souls trying to keep old Porsches on the road. It was great having something different and odd. But slowly the cars became cool, sought after, and eventually a must have for every investor/collector. That's when it I knew I was done

After 20 years of playing with old 911s I am no longer an owner and am unlikely to dip the toe in the near future (I'll never say never). It's been wonderful restoring and driving an old 911 but the cars are at a point where every second hipster and professional has to have an old 911 to go with their new 911 The prices for hard to get stuff is stratospheric and the "crowd" has changed to such a point that I don't identify too much with a lot of new Old Porsche owners anymore.

This site has been wonderful for me to gauge and test ideas, ask questions, and give back where I could among genuine Typ901 Porsche guys - and I thank you all very much. I have quite a few genuine friends as a result of this site and old 911s.

So I'll probably start again with a sh!ttty Boxster or a crappy 996 and wait. Or perhaps I'll just stick to surfing and see what other petrol powered interests emerge. I'll still hover, and vintage racing will remain a passion, and I'm sure I'll catch up with you all somewhere about the place

Cheers Guys
    John

John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

And thank you John for your wise advice at so many points. Always on the point and accurate. You will be missed, but nothing lasts for ever, except some memories. I have a bead on an early 911 but wonder if I still have the determination to see it through (again). As to Boxsters, I have found that I just love driving mine. It is engaging, demanding and also relaxing when needed. The handling and performance are really stimulating, and much more enjoyable than I had imagined.

I am sure that your threads and posts on this Forum will become standard sources fro many of the newer owners/restorers.

Best wishes

Merv

Comment

Fishy
      Best wishes for your new found adventures. Lastly it is about passion and having fun wherever you find it. Enjoy.
      Nev

Comment

You always had the answer to any problem, a great source of information. This forum will miss you. All the best for the future
        Kane Kennedy
        Typ 901 Register #204
        71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Well played.

Comment

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
              Hi Guys

Just a quick note to pass on regards before my membership lapses and I can't post.

I first started with my old blue car in 1999, I joined the Qld Porsche Club and was immediately pitied and looked down at for driving an old sh!tbox Porsche - I LOVED that attitude towards me but there was no real help amongst that crowd. This site became a 'go to' where I found like minded souls trying to keep old Porsches on the road. It was great having something different and odd. But slowly the cars became cool, sought after, and eventually a must have for every investor/collector. That's when it I knew I was done

After 20 years of playing with old 911s I am no longer an owner and am unlikely to dip the toe in the near future (I'll never say never). It's been wonderful restoring and driving an old 911 but the cars are at a point where every second hipster and professional has to have an old 911 to go with their new 911 The prices for hard to get stuff is stratospheric and the "crowd" has changed to such a point that I don't identify too much with a lot of new Old Porsche owners anymore.

This site has been wonderful for me to gauge and test ideas, ask questions, and give back where I could among genuine Typ901 Porsche guys - and I thank you all very much. I have quite a few genuine friends as a result of this site and old 911s.

So I'll probably start again with a sh!ttty Boxster or a crappy 996 and wait. Or perhaps I'll just stick to surfing and see what other petrol powered interests emerge. I'll still hover, and vintage racing will remain a passion, and I'm sure I'll catch up with you all somewhere about the place

Cheers Guys
              John
              Who am I going top go head to head with for the most number of posts now
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I know where you live ;-)
                Cam Arnott
                Looking for engine #6208151
                1970 911E (Sold)
                '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                2 x Split Screen Kombis
                TYP 901 Register # 78
                Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

John.

I haven't changed. Please stay. I have problems with abandonment. I'll try harder. Say it isn't so. Just cause you don't own one doesn't erase all that knowledge.

Be well mate. And thanks for all the help you've given me over the years.

AV
                  Andrew Vidler

72T

Comment

All the best John - your advice has been greatly appreciated across the past few years.

Comment

Who says when your access to the forum lapses John?..........................me, so it may last a little while yet .
                      You've been a great club member over many years (since 2007) and your knowledge of early 911s and contribution to our forum is (almost) unsurpassed, so you can linger a little longer.

Peter Williams
                      Secretary
                      Last edited by MrUpwey; 07-08-18, 03:50 PM.
                      Peter Williams #049
                      Secretary TYP901
                      1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Hooray for you Peter, we can't just let John leave - he has been an essential part of this Forum. John you have been an inspiration to us all and during your build you were required daily reading for me . Keep in touch and when you get the itch for another early 911 you'll find a car here.
                        Cheers Paul M

Comment

Well said Mr! You've been a fountain of knowledge and a champion of a bloke to share it in the manner you have. I hear you loud and clear re the 'investor set' draining the enthusiam but I have a theory (maybe a deluded belief) that in the end the enthusiasts are the last standing.... I also have a bumper sticker I want to produce 'Racers before Hipsters' (in a circle with a 901 cornering picking up the inside front or airborne coming over a rise)... Nothing better for me than seeing the Group S 901 guys having a ball!
                          Please be sure to stay in touch and enjoy the surf
                          Tom Laube
                          Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
                          VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Originally posted by MrUpwey View Post
                            Who says when your access to the forum lapses John?..........................me, so it may last a little while yet .
                            You've been a great club member over many years (since 2007) and your knowledge of early 911s and contribution to our forum is (almost) unsurpassed, so you can linger a little longer.
                            Perhaps the Committee should induct John into the 901 Register "Hall of Fame" and grant a lifetime membership. I would support it.

Best wishes John and thanks for all your previous help and advice given freely to all.

Comment

+1

Comment

Working...
                              X