Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlights

May I ask what people recommend as options for the headlights on a 901?

There are

- h1-h4 conversion kits (is there one that is recommended locally in Australia?)
    - LED headlight replacement
    - LED bulb replacement
    - anything else?
    - stick with same h1 lights (not very confidence inspiring at night)

Thank you in advance

The best and probably cheapest in my opinion is to change the wiring by putting in relays for high and low separately and wiring them straight from the batteries via the relays. The stock wiring (that goes through the steering column and is a weak spot as too much current through there fries the switches) is then only used to work the relays and you can run much more current ( through a shorter distance) and get much brighter lights whatever you have installed. Also you can up the wattage in the lights to 60 low and 100 or 130 high and it is like having an extra set of driving lights.
    Hugh Hodges
    1973 E
    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Speaking of lights, anyone know of where I can get reflectors replated? Sounds like need to be “vapour deposited aluminium plated”
      MichaelJapp
      71E
      Typ901 #065
      EarlyS #798

Comment

I would be interested also, the "chrome" paint just doesn't cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post
          The best and probably cheapest in my opinion is to change the wiring by putting in relays for high and low separately and wiring them straight from the batteries via the relays. The stock wiring (that goes through the steering column and is a weak spot as too much current through there fries the switches) is then only used to work the relays and you can run much more current ( through a shorter distance) and get much brighter lights whatever you have installed. Also you can up the wattage in the lights to 60 low and 100 or 130 high and it is like having an extra set of driving lights.
          Is this something you can do at home or would the dealer / mechanic do this?

Comment

Originally posted by mj911e View Post
            Speaking of lights, anyone know of where I can get reflectors replated? Sounds like need to be “vapour deposited aluminium plated”
            What type of light?
            I bought these h4 reflectors, they are perfect for the application.
            Last edited by mrar; 18-10-18, 09:20 PM.
            Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by Mr911 View Post

Is this something you can do at home or would the dealer / mechanic do this?
              If you have a working knowledge of electrics you could do it at home - there are a number of wiring diagrams around on the web for putting relays in when combined with the wiring diagram for the cars makes it a relatively simple task
              However when i had mine done years ago, combined with wiring in a set of fog lights i wanted it to look factory with the round factory relays in the spare holes next to the fuse box etc as well as making sure the rest of the wiring around the fuse box was inb good order so I got an auto-electrician who specializes in early porches to do mine and tidy it all up.
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Australian TYP 901 Register #005
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post

If you have a working knowledge of electrics you could do it at home - there are a number of wiring diagrams around on the web for putting relays in when combined with the wiring diagram for the cars makes it a relatively simple task
                However when i had mine done years ago, combined with wiring in a set of fog lights i wanted it to look factory with the round factory relays in the spare holes next to the fuse box etc as well as making sure the rest of the wiring around the fuse box was inb good order so I got an auto-electrician who specializes in early porches to do mine and tidy it all up.
                I took Hugh’s advice and took my car to auto elec.... my lights are significantly better now.

justin
                Justin Reed
                aka Reedminor
                1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                1961 356B #114700
                Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Working...
                X