No announcement yet.

Another project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks mate but I’ve got the 16” 7s and 8s for the road. I will be running 15s for gravel but that will be a while away - and I’m afraid yours are far too nice to hammer thru the dust

Comment

Off for some rust repairs tomorrow. Bought these extremely boring parts in a positive experience with Restoration Designs Australia (Exclusive Bodywerks) in Sydney. I’m excited!

E6932F37-5CB0-45CB-AB07-F6D9A4106523.jpeg

Comment

And this is one of the bits being fixed (WARNING: graphic image showing unacceptable treatment of Porsche bodywork)

DBF9856B-6B0D-46A8-B71A-D1A88448E550.jpeg

Comment

Are you planning on using the motor it came with or sourcing a correct period motor?

See Fishcop (former member) has a 71e motor available as a core?

Cheers

Craig
          Craig Sedgman
          914/6 GT Clone Project
          996 C2.1

Comment

The 2.4 now 2.7 in it is in rude health so I will use that. When it is all back together (in 2093) I’ll run it on dyno and see what the torque/power curves are like, but from my driving it’s no high strung thing. Doesn’t matter that much because A) usually have more power in a gravel rally car than you get to ground anyway B) I’m not trying to win anything, just love going sideways under power
            The important bit in rally car drivetrain is the transaxle, which gets a hiding. I’m almost certainly going G50 short bell housing with close ratio gear set. Will retain synchros as a dog box probably a step too far (for me) both in $$$s and drivability.
            (Now I’ve dropped the G50 word I’ll go and hide under my doona)

Comment

Mitchell
              I would have thought that Torque (and a steady predictable delivery of it) rather tha top end is what you would want in a gravel car. If you already have a 2.4 out to 2.7 presumably with all the RS bits and pieces on it you should consider putting E cams in it. that's what I have (and have had for the last 100,000 miles) It gives more bottom end and torque than a RS but not as much top end - find by me as I am not driving it on a track - the only place that you could use the top end.

Then you could consider using a 915 box BUT with a 8:35 R&P and probably short gears
              The 8:35 is not well known - it has the same final drive as a 7:31 (and should never be confused with the later 8:31's)
              It was homologated for the 2.2 Turbo RSR's in 1976 to handle the torque of those motors as well as for the 2.8 RSR's and was quickly adopted by the top rally teams because of its strength (although I have heard of some being dated as early as 7/71 but it is unclear what the application was for as it was not homologated back then but it was probably for factory ST rally cars)
              I understand that Francis Tuthill uses it in most (all?) of his gravel rally cars (although he sources them from guard in the US I think) .

I had one installed in my car after the torque in the engine overcame the strength of the R&P
              Albins make them and also note that the 8:35 is a Klingelnberg cut and not the usual Gleason, and will require someone who knows these well to set it up and install it
              here is Albins website http://www.albinsgear.com.au/
              they dont list a distributor in Australia but I think that Stan Adler may be able to get one for you as they supply race teams (including the Porsche cup cars and V8 super cars) directly
              here is a photo of my old damaged 7:31 pinion next to the 8:35 one
              2014-12-30 12.01.18 compress.jpg
              Attached Files
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Australian TYP 901 Register #005
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Thanks Hugh. I don’t know the spec of the motor other than started as 2.4E and now has 2.7 barrels (and Webbers). Not likely to be RS spec as still has 2.4 heads so likely 2.4E cams are in there too.

Without opening the 915 v G50 can of worms, I have a personal predilection for the G50 and there’s a bunch of things that make going that way a bit less painful for me. The car has a healthy 901 style box, so I have to buy a replacement box anyway. I’m going Tilton pedal box, so hydraulics not an issue. Pretty sure I’ll be running coilovers at the back and a full on cage so space and structure not an issue. And pretty much every wearing part in existing gearchange is knackered so some avoided costs there to offset cost of G50 gearchange mechanism.

Comment

Can run any gearbox in classic rally as long as H pattern (no sequential) and no more than 5 speeds. My Datsun1600 has a 240k box with Holinger gears except 1 shaft which is now Albins as I took a tooth off first.

Comment

Here’s the kind of “rat rod” look I will end up with, but with normal Fuchs (ie silver on black petals) for road and rally wheels for dirt. And with a duck tail. Final colour will be Slate Grey 6801, which is not that far from the epoxy primer colour it’s in now. Will be acrylic as I don’t want super shiny 2 pack finish.

image_23244.jpg

Comment

And I really like the replicas of these Campagnolo wheels made by Group 4 wheels (race pic is originals, other pic is the replicas).

image_23245.jpg
                      image_23246.png

Comment

(I really shouldn’t post pics of RSRs cos it makes me think oh maybe I shd RSR it...)

Comment

here is something for inspiration as a gravel rally car Mitchell http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1973-porsche-911

or maybe this one http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1...spec-rally-car
                          Last edited by HughH; 09-12-18, 01:50 PM.
                          Hugh Hodges
                          1973 E
                          Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                          Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Nice. Some terrifying numbers in there -
                            • Built in 2008/2009 by Tuthill Porsche to full East African Safari spec at a cost of £129,500 (excluding the original car)
                            • Campaigned in numerous Rallies including four East African Safaris and the Rallye International du Maroc in 2010
                            • Post-completion, there are receipts for work totalling almost £150,000.

Comment

Working...
                            X