Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front anti-sway Bar choice - 71'T

Hi Folks,

I am looking to install a front anti-sway bar on my 71T (previously not installed - still wearing the original through body covers). I am looking at a more OEM style set-up, which has led me to the factory S 15mm bar, levers and drop links.

In intend for my car to be at best a fast road set up, which I intend to replace new for old (read '71 originals) Koni adjustable inserts, OEM rubber bushes and so on. S Caliper brakes are on the bench ready for install as well. With this in mind, can anyone share an opinion on this size ant-roll bar? I see there are Tarett, Elephant, and other styles out there, perhaps more for the real racer. I want a sporty, but road friendly car.

Intersted in your thoughts on this.

Adam

I'm also keen to hear from those that have been here before. My research says that 19mm is a good sports purpose upgrade with out being too much.

Adam, you are probably already aware but you can buy just the bar and retain the OEM drop links and levers etc. for a more factory look. I plan to get mine from Stan.
    Tom Laube
    Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
    VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Probably also depends on TBs, I'm doing F 21 and R 26 or 28.

What are are you running Adam?
      Tom Laube

Comment

If you truly want OEM style you will be limited to 13 or 15.

If you are willing to step up to the rose jointed drop links which come with some of the aftermarket brands, you could perhaps reasonably step up to 18?

Tom, IMO 19 might be ok for G series cars, but maybe overkill on a 901

Comment

Thanks Tom & 9er,

Tom, who is Stan?

Whilst I am no expert, I do note that when searching for information on this topic, such as in my R to RSR book, the early R ran stock S suspension parts, and coupled with modern rubber (tyres), these parts might be more than sufficient on a 901. 9er, regarding your question on Torsion Bars, that is a subject i've not yet investigated, however I think Wayne Dempsey does have some recommendations (as does Road Scholars) regarding fast road TB choices. I did see some subtle non standard upgrades for banana bar to body bushings from Elephant racing that look interesting, albeit I am taking this project one part at a time - again with factory racers as a benchmark for part selection.

All and any recommendations for fast road 901 suspension setups are very greatly appreciated however.

I should point out that this suspension interest has been ignited by the handling of my car, but on reading about Magnus Walker's 67S, and the 68 TR - obviously both SWB cars.

Adam.
          Last edited by acf321; 23-02-19, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by acf321 View Post
            Thanks Tom & 9er,

Tom, who is Stan?

Adam.
            Stan Adler, Performance 9 - one of our sponsors (click on link in banner at top of page)

I note that many members chasing parts and services often appear to ignore our club sponsors - I encourage all members to be familiar with the services our sponsors offer, and often discounts are offered to TYP901 members

Peter Williams
            Secretary
            Peter Williams #049
            Secretary TYP901
            1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Bought a muffler from Stan last week Peter
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Wow, thanks Peter & Clyde - just had a look on Stan's site. I'll give him a call Monday!

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                  Tom, IMO 19 might be ok for G series cars, but maybe overkill on a 901
                  Good feedback, thanks.

Adam, Stan is a long time racer and has tried all the combos. Great for advice
                  Tom Laube

Comment

Bit more of an update on this car... jacked her up today (yes first time since buying last year) and had a look at the front callipers... something strange I thought.

Turns out they have a set of Ate S Callipers, with the big 'X' in the circles, and a small '69' stamped just below the circle. Given all the crud on the callipers, and a bit of elbow grease, they came up like NEW. I asked the boffins on early S and it was suggested by an early Porsche Historian that if delivered with Koni Adjustables from new, it was normal for the S Calliper to be fitted a standard fitment. Hence, my 71 T has; webers, 5 speed, koni adjustables, S Calipers, appearance group all from new ... To say i'm stoked is an understatement.

Now, just to squeeze a few more horses out of that mill, and it'll be an S all but for the bloody letter (must have been a typo!)

Last point ... there is now an 'as new' PMB set of S Callipers in a box on my workbench .... they'll need a new home.....

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Does it have the saddles for the front sway bar mounts on the wishbones?
                      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Hi Mrar,

Yes, the A-Arms have the welded pieces in place ready to receive the wishbone ends. I am looking for a 15mm, or even 16mm genuine S Sway bar.

Regards,

Adam

Comment

That will make it easier.
                          I bought an ajustable setup off stan years ago.
                          Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Wanted to report I spoke to Stan as per your suggestions above. Thank you so much, he has exactly what I want at a competitive price, and the KNOWLEDGE!! I've ordered a 16mm OEM front sway bar with all the links and so-on.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Working...
                            X