Would you get a Targa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you get a Targa

Targa cars are about half the price of the coupe counterparts for various aircooled years

anybody here who would think its a good opportunity to get a targa or who would prefer a targa?

I haven't driven a targa before but drive a coupe

I think Targas are very cool especially 901 & early IB cars with the metal rollover hoop & complimentary bright work. You may be onto something.

Comment

Have always wanted one.

Comment

Would you get a Targa?

No.

From what you suggest and if it floats your boat,yes.
        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

If I could only have one 911 it would be a coupe but would happily have a Targa parked next to the coupe. I've driven a few and good ones feel just as good as a coupe.
          Cam Arnott
          Looking for engine #6208151
          1970 911E (Sold)
          '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
          2 x Split Screen Kombis
          TYP 901 Register # 78
          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

My first Porsche was a 911 SC 1982 Targa in Mocca Brown, it was all I could afford but was Australian delivered 5 speed and $30K (in the 90's). Absolutely loved it and it started me on the Porsche journey. It just added another fun aspect to the car, and I didn't consider desirability and future worth, just a great car.
            **Same Targa my 2 year old son decided to help dad by working on the car.... with a hammer on the passenger door while I was at work!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr911 View Post
              Targa cars are about half the price of the coupe counterparts for various aircooled years
              Don't think that is quite correct ... a quick look at whats on the market shows that there is only a small if any difference in a model particularly if it's RHD.

To answer your question, in a heartbeat
              Last edited by epilot; 06-11-19, 04:01 PM.
              Craig
              12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
              1972 2.4E Targa project
              1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Thank you for the replies!

For Targas, with some of the g series cars the prices are quite a bit less (60-70k of Targas vs 110-130k of coupes) on the 901 cars the price is both a reflection of condition as well (90k vs 150k plus)

its interesting to see what other people’s experiences are.

I remember driving a cayman was, to me, substantially better than a boxster to drive.

however whilst competent the 987 platform was, the engaging nature of the rear bias on the 911 sealed it for me.

it wasn’t that long ago that there were very few air cooled cars to choose from. Fast forward to today there are a good selection to choose from with different price points.

i was thinking about the open top nature of the boxster spyder I once had, and was thinking of whether a targa 901 would be something worth considering, especially in this balmy Melbourne weather!
                Last edited by Mr911; 06-11-19, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Not a targa, but similar thing - whenever I look at 993s it just leaps out how much cheaper the convertibles are...almost never see a 993 targa (or “huge slidey sunroof coupe”)....

Comment

I had a 73’ factory RHD targa. Loved it just as much as any coupe, wish I didn’t sell it.
                    I can assure they are worth far more than what you’re suggesting. You will be looking at converted cars for 90k
                    Mickc

65’ 912/6
                    70’ 911T coupe
                    00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

MR911, take it from MR901 that Targa’s are great !! I wouldn’t race one but for a weekend driver they give another element of enjoyment to the porsche experience...oh, that’s right...I have one for sale...ha ha...

FOR SALE - 1971T Targa * Full Victorian registration (just paid) & current RWC * Matching numbers including 4 date matched fuch's * US delivered in Conda Green (like Viper Green) * In Australia since the 80s & has been registered in multiple states * Ive owned 4 years & have the COA & $60,000+ in recent

Good luck with the search whatever you decide...

Cheers,
                      Matt
                      Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
                      1994 993 (road car)
                      1994 BMW M3 (salt lake racer)
                      1999 GT3 (Nations Cup Championship)

Ex - 1967 912, 1970 911T, 1971 911T, 1971 911E, 1976 Carrera

901 #160
                      PCV #528

Comment

I had a 73S Targa, wish I still had it
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President
                        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Targas are great. I've had a few, and the key is getting one with a decent fit. Don't expect perfection, but as long as there's not massive gaping holes above the quarter windows and it doesn't make too much noise when driving, it'll be fine.
                          It's really nice to be able to take the roof off when it's not super hot or super cold and enjoy the open air without feeling like you're in a full convertible. You also don't get beaten about by the wind as much in a targa.
                          Most roofs are folding, and they easily fit into the front trunk with room to spare.
                          Almost anyone with a targa knows that you can still give them a flogging out on the road and they still drive great.

Comment

Working...
                          X