Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

901 colors

Looking around at the car posts and cars available

is there any fact or science behind some colors not being as prevalent as others?

eg. black cars are so rare, white cars seem to be the most common, then the red / tangerine / yellow colors

was it a trend thing? Do certain colors accentuate the shape more?

would be nice to read about your thoughts!

Fashion. White was the thing forever, and they show up the least flaws. Then silver became the new white. Black cars are high maintenance, every flaw shows up.

Comment

I am not sure how true this is, but in a conversation about 901 colours where we discussed the popularity of white/ivory 901 and the small number of black 901's, someone once said to me that white/ivory was popular with early Porsche cars because in the early years of racing white was used for the German cars/drivers.

Doug
      IG: @porschepicto

Comment

Our 72 is light yellow which is a real 70's colour and if you look at 70's Mikasa dinner sets for example there were shades like Paprika, Orange Sherbet, Saffron etc. White seems to be a more traditional color. Black was just that.

Comment

White is still the traditional colour for the race cars; eg: GT3 Carrera Cup cars are delivered in white. Shows up the added advertising well and is easier to repair. In my view 901s are better in a light or vivid colour, with the exception of Doug's black beauty.

Comment

Slate Grey for me

Comment

Just as it is today colours tend to trend in an trend out..... I order cars for a living working in logistics and supply chain for automotive OEM's, so feel qualified to comment.

There are staple colours for any manufacturer, and then there are colours that come and go. Porsche is no different.

Examples of the latter green, brown, orange. Whites, greys and blacks tend to be more staple colours.

I remember seeing a great post on early S about the number of greens Porsche offtered over the years (green was a favourite colour of Ferry Porsche apparently) - and there were something like 75 different shades. Obviously with a green 901 this caught my attention!

Justin

Justin Reed
              aka Reedminor
              1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
              1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
              1961 356B #114700
              Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Great insights!

true that black is high maintenance and that lighter colors photograph a lot better than eg black

fashion and trends do seem to play a part with pastel colors seemingly coming back to trend

wonder if you were to choose a color would you do it as your favorite or for future value? Or perhaps both?

Comment

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news...ar-car-colours

If my 71 was original it wd be Light Ivory but as it is a 2.7 mutt i’m painting it my favourite colour slate grey
                  Last edited by Bremith; 26-11-19, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Green - 1%... excellent, when mine's back to Leaf Green I'll be part of the 1%
                    '97 993 - new toy
                    '95 993 - on the chopping block
                    '70 911T - bringing her back to former glory

Comment

This has been mentioned before, but for those who haven't already done so, download the '911 factory colours' app. i always find myself scrolling through the colours and wondering what colour i would have choose in 1968
                      Mickc

65’ 912/6
                      70’ 911T coupe
                      00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

Working...
                      X