Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haunted Hill - PCV Hill Climb

Guys,

those that are in Melbourne, may want to enter the latest PCV event which is being held at the all new Haunted Hill Climb, just out of Moe. It replaces the old Morwell Hill Climb that has now been destroyed.

Date is 3rd August, and is a pretty low speed but 1.2 km track.

Only 80 entries allowed, but sure to be lots of fun.

Check out the www.pcv.com.au website to enter.

Myself, Stewart, Marcus and Jason are going already so get your entry in and come join in the fun! You only need a fire ext' & CAMS licence to enter.
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Do you need to be a PCV member to attend?

cheers
    Tom
    Tom Walstab
    Member #142
    911L Silver 1968
    911T Colour? 1969 Work in progress
    928GTS Iris Blue 1995
    911 997 Targa 4S Black
    Ford Ranger 4x4 Silver
    Arrow 125cc Rotax GoKart

Comment

yes
      Alex Webster

Comment

Alex, what happened to the original Morwell track?
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

from memory it was being mined! I think they found some deposits of some description. As a result, they (whoever bought the land) said they would build a new facility which cost plenty! So there must have been something good there!!!
          Alex Webster

Comment

Originally posted by alexwebster View Post
            from memory it was being mined! I think they found some deposits of some description. As a result, they (whoever bought the land) said they would build a new facility which cost plenty! So there must have been something good there!!!
            The coal seam runs right under what was there. Was always going to be mined, just a matter of time.

The old track was great but from all accounts the new one is sensational. I can't make it for 2 reasons. I'm at PI the following weekend and a Cup Car is not the ideal vehicle to attack a hill with!

Comment

Sven bring the new 911E!!! Cup Car is a rude word around here!!!
              Alex Webster

Comment

Well, yesterday was a cracking day at this wonderful track.

Those that get the opportunity to do it in the future should. It is a great test of man and machine, as well as frightening the bejesus out of you if you push on!!!

The morning started out as being wet, and the first two times were not timed to that we could get out eye in for the circuit.

Cold tyres, cold morning, and cold brain meant we were all on our toes. I nearly had a off on the 4 (blind) corner and put two wheels in the dirt. Even though I was not pushing hard, the wet road and going down hill, 2 wheels in the dirt, it took a fair bit of man handling to get the old girl back on the track after a locked brake!

All in all we got 4 timed runs. Would have been more if it weren't for two cars that decided to go in to the wall on the same corner where I had my moment. In all we lost an hour with those two alone, and the wet conditions early meant that we lost time there.

Mark Tierney and Stewart (my dad) also came along. Other early cars were Greg Cook's RS replica, Vanderzee's RSR replica, and quite a few early 74-78 911's.

The best time of the day was a 56 second run. I managed to get down to a 1.01.5 in the last run to take out Class D from Simon Baxter in his 944 S2.

The track is only $2000 for the day (PCV told me $1500). Could be a great event if we got enough people together to do a 901 day?!?!

Videos are currently being downloaded to my laptop, edited and then will be uploaded to Youtube as per normal. Will advise when they are up.

Don't miss out next time!
                Alex Webster

Comment

Videos are up.

Firstly me in the 2.0S
                  First time at Haunted Hills hillclimb. Great track - well done guys! Fastest time I had was 1.01.50 which placed me 23rd outright. I had the second oldest ca...

and dad's run in the yellow 356
                  Not just any 356, it has a 2.8 litre 911 motor in it! Fun Track - enjoy! This is my father Stewart driving.
                  Alex Webster

Comment

It sure l;ooked like fun Alex. Seem slike a few downhill sections and not just all a climb ??
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                    Early 911-S Registry # 690
                    R-Gruppe # 367
                    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

you are right Phil. If you watch to the side of the video, it gives you an idea of how far up and down you are going! It is a massive fall and rise.

Car gets light in places, and the blind crests are really daunting the first few times round - you have to believe that the track is still there each time!

Overall I finished 23rd out of 69 cars. Very happy indeed. Can't wait for next time!
                      Alex Webster

Comment

Good camera position on your run Alex. It gives you an idea of what the driver is doing and a good view of the road. Very Professional touch, where was it mounted ?

Comment

Alex, there were other Youtube vids that came up with the search incl Mark Claires run and Cookie in his RS clone. His camera was roof mounted so you got a really good look at the track.

I saw you hit the rev limiter a lot and the shift light stayed on quite a bit ! Was your car badly geared for the track do you think ? I was watching to see how many revs you needed to keep up to stay in the power.

Well done on the result given your little 2 litre VS all that other HP. Shows what a little and lightweight car; well driven, can do.
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                          Early 911-S Registry # 690
                          R-Gruppe # 367
                          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Camera was mounted on the upright on the b pillar of the cage. Had it there for Winton also. Gives a great view even if my head does get in the way a little!

I had teh 50 profile tyres on for the event so that is why the gearing is short by about 300 rpm. Everyone was on the limiter at some stage, and considering I had the 2 litres, I had to make sure it was in the upper band all the time considering the hills!!!! My shift light is at 6500rpm which is where I shift on the track but in an event like this you just hold it in 2nd until the limiter comes in!!!

Funny thing is my car is not that light, it is 1030kg! I need to get some perspex windows - otherwise there is not much else I can take out, or taht I want to take out. I still run full carpets etc!
                            Alex Webster

Comment

"I need to get some perspex windows - otherwise there is not much else I can take out, or taht I want to take out. I still run full carpets etc!"

or you could order the salad, no dressing...

Comment

Working...
                              X